USPS Delivered Order, But Not Rec'd

Ms. P

Jul 26, 2006
I sent an eBay order out about 2 weeks ago. Order shows delivered a few days later. Buyer claims they never received it. Item was $48. Would you credit back to avoid bad feedback? (they claim they checked with neigbors and postal person)

I sent an eBay order out about 2 weeks ago. Order shows delivered a few days later. Buyer claims they never received it. Item was $48. Would you credit back to avoid bad feedback? (they claim they checked with neigbors and postal person)

Personally, I wouldn't. Even risking a negative feedback. As long as you sent to the address in paypal, you should be covered in case of a dispute.
Negative is not warranted here, but if you get one, just respond to it professionally: Item shows delivered at buyers address, tracking number: XXXX

I don't think you have to right now. Usually packages pop up a day or so after they say delivered because the postal worker was trying to cut down steps from the daily routine. My mail lady lost my package and it took me reaching out to my old mailman to find it and actually deliver it this time around. USPS is messy, so just let the buyer know you're all ears and are willing to help her locate the package. Did you require signature confirmation?

I would send something along the lines of the lines of the following. In my experience when this type of incident occurs, once you mention "investigation," "postal theft," etc., missing packages mysteriously appear.

Dear buyer,

I'm sorry you didn't receive your package. USPS tracking number ___(fill in blank)___ shows that your item was delivered on ___(date)_______ at ____(time)______. If after checking with your carrier, family and/or neighbors and you still can't locate it, please let me know and I'll begin an investigation process through USPS since it would appear the package was stolen following its delivery. The postal service takes mail theft and fraud seriously and they'll try to get to the bottom of what happened to your purchase.

Let me know if and when I should contact them.
Sincerely,
Seller

BTW, if your buyer files INR, you'll win when you submit the delivery confirmation number with date and time of delivery. Signature confirmation wouldn't have been necessary for this value of item.

BTW, if your buyer files INR, you'll win when you submit the delivery confirmation number with date and time of delivery. Signature confirmation wouldn't have been necessary for this value of item.

Most of the items I've ever bought or sold no matter the price required a signature confirmation. Delivery confirmation isn't actually accurate and it's not saying the person got the package, just that it's delivered. It's nice to think that's how it works but unless the person actually has the package in their hands - "you're at fault". Signature confirmation evades this sort of problem in the first place. It's the sellers responsibility to make sure the package gets to the buyer no matter how insignificant the price may have been. If the buyer hasn't had any problems in the past and this is the first time they're filing INR, you may very well be out of your $$$

Most of the items I've ever bought or sold no matter the price required a signature confirmation. Delivery confirmation isn't actually accurate and it's not saying the person got the package, just that it's delivered. It's nice to think that's how it works but unless the person actually has the package in their hands - "you're at fault". Signature confirmation evades this sort of problem in the first place. It's the sellers responsibility to make sure the package gets to the buyer no matter how insignificant the price may have been. If the buyer hasn't had any problems in the past and this is the first time they're filing INR, you may very well be out of your $$$

Although what you say is technically correct, d.c. is all that's needed for ebay and paypal seller protection for an item at the pricepoint of the OP's sale.

As for the seller being SOL if this is the buyer's first claim of non-receipt, you are wrong. Although the package may very well have been misdelivered or stolen, if d.c. shows delivery, the seller is protected.

Although what you say is technically correct, d.c. is all that's needed for ebay and paypal seller protection for an item at the pricepoint of the OP's sale.

As for the seller being SOL if this is the buyer's first claim of non-receipt, you are wrong. Although the package may very well have been misdelivered or stolen, if d.c. shows delivery, the seller is protected.

Maybe this hasn't happened to you, thank goodness for that - but eBay sides with the buyer in some cases like this. Once the post office lost my package and when i called up paypal, the only thing they could do was issue me a refund on the spot. I wouldn't have done that because its not fair to make the seller pay for the post offices f'ups but really 2.88 for signature confirmation in the future is much better than refunding 50 bucks knowing once theirs a signature it's out of your hands.

Signature confirmation alone cost $2.70.
I don't believe most sellers would be willing to spend this not necessary expenses, if says the item sold for $50.
I would not be happy if I have to be home to sign for my $50 purchased!

For item (including shipping) for less than $250, DELIVERY CONFIRMATION showed DELIVERED, the seller is cover by Paypal seller protection.
And for this case with the OP, if buyer file a NRI with Paypal, she will WON!

Maybe this hasn't happened to you, thank goodness for that - but eBay sides with the buyer in some cases like this. Once the post office lost my package and when i called up paypal, the only thing they could do was issue me a refund on the spot. I wouldn't have done that because its not fair to make the seller pay for the post offices f'ups but really 2.88 for signature confirmation in the future is much better than refunding 50 bucks knowing once theirs a signature it's out of your hands.

Signature Confirmation isn't required for seller protection of item not receive for transaction less than $250.

Required no, but it's recommended. Anyways OP, just wait it out a little. The item might pop up miraculously.

I just hope that I would never buy item for $48 or equivalent amount from a paranoid seller that required signature confirmation upon delivery. For $48, I certainly will not wait at home all day, or I also will be "too lazy" to go to the post office to pick it up.LOL.

I just hope that I would never buy item for $48 or equivalent amount from a paranoid seller that required signature confirmation upon delivery. For $48, I certainly will not wait at home all day, or I also will be "too lazy" to go to the post office to pick it up.LOL.

Agree. I would have many annoyed buyers if I used signature confirmation for lower priced items.

BTW - as of April, Ebay will require signature for $750 or more transactions.

Well where I'm from where nobody has time to wait, having the signature means unless nobody's home the package goes right back to the post office instead of being left by the pool gates or at a neighbours house. It's easier to pick it up that way. Called me paranoid but whatever I'll never be out of my package