USPS delayed tracking?

Leeleerae

Jan 7, 2009
I sold an item on Ebay. The next day, 2/12/09, I made the USPS shipping label through paypal and then dropped of the box at the post office 20 minutes later.
I checked the online tracking of the package to make sure it was en route, and this is the message I got:
The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on February 12, 2009 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

I am now worried because I dropped off the package on Thursday and it is still not showing up in the tracking...today is Sunday!

Tomorrow is a holiday, so I guess the only thing I can do is wait until Tuesday to go back to the post office and figure out what is going on?

Has this happened to anyone else?

I sold an item on Ebay. The next day, 2/12/09, I made the USPS shipping label through paypal and then dropped of the box at the post office 20 minutes later.
I checked the online tracking of the package to make sure it was en route, and this is the message I got:
The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on February 12, 2009 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

I am now worried because I dropped off the package on Thursday and it is still not showing up in the tracking...today is Sunday!

Tomorrow is a holiday, so I guess the only thing I can do is wait until Tuesday to go back to the post office and figure out what is going on?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Oh my gosh, this has happened to me twice in the last week. :faint: Thank goodness both shipments were very small and inexpensive items but I have resent another item and package and it is still showing that with the 2nd package. Needless to say, the buyer lives just 20 miles from me and I let him know that if he doesn't get this shipment, it is getting delivered to him by my husband. I am really upset with the post office. They also lost one of my packages and I didn't have it insured! It was only a $20 item but this is very upsetting and scary. I am not mailing by USPS again. :wtf:

Yes... unfortunately, right now ALL you will get from USPS online In-US tracking is Accepted and then DELIVERED... and NOTHING in between. They suck. Been like this several weeks.

Oh one more thing, should I contact the buyer and tell them about this or should I wait it out?

I pray you don't have a very expensive item that you shipped and it was insured. I haven't heard anything from my last ones that they ever were delivered. I even tried to contact PayPal about it and they just say to contact my post office. They were of no help at all. I was told by my carrier that they are automating alot and things are getting caught in the machines, but really......could it be happening so much? I would be very worried if I were you. Not to freak you out or anything, but I haven't had any help from the PO of PP and it is upsetting the the buyer as my buyer is really wanting his item and I don't blame him. Although I don't know what else to do right now. Let you PO know about my situation and I am going to let mine know about yours.....This isn't good. :cursing::cry::smash:

Woah! Now I am getting really nervous. Did they actually lose your packages or just fail to update them in the tracking?
My USPS tracking thing is basically saying that they haven't yet received the package for shipment! The package is insured, but if they say they never got the shipment, will I be able to file a claim?
I hate that its a holiday tomorrow....I want to get this settled ASAP!

Yes... unfortunately, right now ALL you will get from USPS online In-US tracking is Accepted and then DELIVERED... and NOTHING in between. They suck. Been like this several weeks.

This is different. I think she was talking about it showing up as a shipment being started, the label being made but that it hadn't been recorded by USPS. It says:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on February 13, 2009 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

This means that USPS hasn't any receipt for the package yet. They haven't scanned it in yet. One of mine has been over a week and it is only going 20 miles away from me.

This is different. I think she was talking about it showing up as a shipment being started, the label being made but that it hadn't been recorded by USPS. It says:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on February 13, 2009 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

This means that USPS hasn't any receipt for the package yet. They haven't scanned it in yet. One of mine has been over a week and it is only going 20 miles away from me.

Well... in her case, again, she may never see anything until it says DELIVERED. I've had that problem when printing my own shipping labels via PP.. it never gets scanned. I don't do that anymore. I go to the freakin PO, stand in line, get INS and SIG CONFIRM and WATCH that they scan.
When the don't scan, then it's not going to update.

Woah! Now I am getting really nervous. Did they actually lose your packages or just fail to update them in the tracking?
My USPS tracking thing is basically saying that they haven't yet received the package for shipment! The package is insured, but if they say they never got the shipment, will I be able to file a claim?
I hate that its a holiday tomorrow....I want to get this settled ASAP!

One package said it was scanned in, but it went parcel post to NY. After 3 weeks, it still is lost. The other one that is like what yours is, was only going 20 miles away and as of 2 weeks later, it still hasn't shown that it was scanned in. I put together another item that I was selling, which I happen to have another one, thank goodness, and it also is showing this. I took it in on Friday and it still doesn't show up as being scanned.

Thank goodness you have it insured. This is crazzzzzy...... and scary. I wouldn't send anything else by USPS until we know more.

Do you think that I should contact the buyer and let her know what is going on? Should I wait to contact her until after Tuesday? I have a fear that she will think that I am trying to scam her. I have only sold about 20 things on Ebay. While I have a 100%, I have been reading the ebay forum over the weekend and am shocked by the kind of scams people pull off. Lying about shipping an item seems to be one of them. That's why I think I should wait to contact her until I have more answers. On the flip side, I think I should contact her now in case she looks up the tracking before tuesday and questions me about it.

Well... in her case, again, she may never see anything until it says DELIVERED. I've had that problem when printing my own shipping labels via PP.. it never gets scanned. I don't do that anymore. I go to the freakin PO, stand in line, get INS and SIG CONFIRM and WATCH that they scan.

Mine have still not said DELIVERED and if you contact PayPal about it since they have delivery confirmation, there isn't anyone who will help you since it doesn't even show up. I think if one must use USPS, then you are right to do it that way with standing in line, get INS and SIG Confirmation along with watching them scan it. This is weird.... I thought I was the only one this was happening to.

Because none of mine that haven't shown up as being scanned haven't been delivered, it makes me wonder where they are then?

Oh, so even if it doesn't get scanned it might still get delivered?

I pray you don't have a very expensive item that you shipped and it was insured. I haven't heard anything from my last ones that they ever were delivered. I even tried to contact PayPal about it and they just say to contact my post office. They were of no help at all. I was told by my carrier that they are automating alot and things are getting caught in the machines, but really......could it be happening so much? I would be very worried if I were you. Not to freak you out or anything, but I haven't had any help from the PO of PP and it is upsetting the the buyer as my buyer is really wanting his item and I don't blame him. Although I don't know what else to do right now. Let you PO know about my situation and I am going to let mine know about yours.....This isn't good. :cursing::cry::smash:
At least yours says it was scanned in? Even though it doesn't say it was delivered, isn't the issue out of your hands since you gave it to USPS? I thought that sellers weren't responsible for items once they go to USPS?

Girls.. if you have packages "missing".. as in never showed that item was received by PO and mailed OR item never shows being delivered... call the 800# on USPS.COM and ask them to please investigate.
I had a bag that I sent USPS EXPRESS INTL to the UK. Took it to the PO myself, got an express label and a customs form label. Customs form label never updated. Express label did. SO... 2 days later, express label shows DELIVERED in Colorado. OMG. Buyer fainted.
I called USPS & started an investigation. They say they will call you back.. they do not. BUT.. a couple days later the CUSTOMS label # tracking shows up and everntually the bag did get delivered in the UK. Express mail label STILL says that the package was delivered in CO.
If your package is MIA, or the tracking info looks wrong, call and start an investigation.
And yes, even if it did not get scanned, it still may get delivered. CALL USPS.

Do you think that I should contact the buyer and let her know what is going on? Should I wait to contact her until after Tuesday? I have a fear that she will think that I am trying to scam her. I have only sold about 20 things on Ebay. While I have a 100%, I have been reading the ebay forum over the weekend and am shocked by the kind of scams people pull off. Lying about shipping an item seems to be one of them. That's why I think I should wait to contact her until I have more answers. On the flip side, I think I should contact her now in case she looks up the tracking before tuesday and questions me about it.

Maybe if you give her the info early on, she will be more understanding. Did you have signature required? Since it is insured, maybe the PO will do some looking and fast. Although I wouldn't want her to get too worried before it is time to. I know that when you are excited to get something, it is scary to think it is lost. I really hope for your sake and your buyers sake it isn't like my shipments are. Mine were replaceable, yours probably being a lovely handbag, might not be replaceable. I usually use FedEx and always for my expensive listings. They have really great tracking and as soon as the FedEx man picks them up, they are scanned. I am going to even stop dropping them off at the ship and pack store, instead have the FedEx man come pick them up and scan them right then.

The post office did ask if I had the shipments insured so even though they don't show up at the post office, they are probably okay for insurance. You made the tag and paid for the tag. They just didn't do their job. As long as you paid the insurance, it should be on their hands not yours.