USPS delay- happened to anyone else?

mster425

Feb 8, 2015
I went to the post office to ship an item I sold on Poshmark, watched her scan it, and got a receipt- Tuesday at 3 pm. It is now Thursday at 8:30 and it's not showing up on USPS.com that I even turned it in. I don't get it.

How is that even possible? I heard the beep! I have the receipt with the tracking # on it! I'm concerned because a) it affects my shipping speed score and b) because I'm not sure I'm covered by Posh seller protection if they never scanned it.

So, more experienced sellers than I- possible? Can this have a positive outcome? I know sometimes items don't get scanned for a few days but I saw it happen!

It is possible that the scan has not yet made it into the public USPS system. If you are really worried you can take the receipt to the PO and have them print out a tracking history from their system.
Or, you can try tracking the package online and signing up for email notifications. That has been known to have tracking show up.

If you email Posh a copy of the receipt, you should be covered in case the tracking never posts.

I've had an in person scan not reflected online and the first viewable scan ends up being the destination PO. Since it's going from the east to west coast, it'll likely get to her PO tonight/tomorrow and be scanned again then (hopefully)

I've always wondered and questioned USPS's reason for changing the terminology from "delivery confirmation" to "tracking." (I suspect it was because postal employees continually referred to it as tracking.)

It's intermittent that "tracking" will show scans along the journey to its destination and IMO, that's what I would consider tracking.

I prefer the old "DC" because all that's necessary for proof of receipt is a delivery scan.

I had a couple experiences with PM not updating their site fast enough or somehow the tracking numbers not showing up, while the sellers were telling me they had shipped and giving me the tracking numbers, that I could verify on line as indeed shipped.

I do not sell in PM, but I would recommend sellers to just put a quick comment on the listing giving the buyer the tracking number, so they can check it out on line.

I have had this happen quite a few times, it can take a couple of days for the system to catch up and show the scans. Not to worry I'm sure it will all show up (if it hasn't by this evening already.) :smile:

This exact thing just happened to me. My husband dropped off two items at our post office on Tuesday. They were scanned and I have the receipt. Their initial scan did not show up online until Thursday and it appears to have been first scanned at 4pm that day--more than 48 hours after the scan on my receipt. I'm sure this violates some ebay rule, don't really care about that, but it's annoying to have it languish somewhere for two days when it's been scanned but never shows.

This exact thing just happened to me. My husband dropped off two items at our post office on Tuesday. They were scanned and I have the receipt. Their initial scan did not show up online until Thursday and it appears to have been first scanned at 4pm that day--more than 48 hours after the scan on my receipt. I'm sure this violates some ebay rule, don't really care about that, but it's annoying to have it languish somewhere for two days when it's been scanned but never shows.

Annnnnnd that's what happened! It showed up last night as being accepted at my local PO Thursday at 8pm, then somehow arrived at the departure PO 70 miles away an hour later. Maybe they have hover trucks now? It's also annoying that due to the tracking info, I look like a liar to my buyer, but whatever, at least it's not lost.

Beenburned, your response is, truly, exactly why I post here. Telling it like it is and letting me know I'm totally overreacting!! :lol:

I, too, have had weird delayed scans more often than normal this week. I'm experiencing both delayed scans and delays in movement (ie sitting in a hub for a couple of days once tracking updated). So I guess sometimes the update delays are just technical update delays while others are actually movement delays and it's impossible to know which until data updates. Very frustrating.

I sold an item on the 10th, shipped it first class on the 13th because Monday was a holiday, tracking shows it was accepted on the 15th and that it left the distribution center on the 15th. Expected delivery date was yesterday, the 19th, but it hasn't shown any updates since the 15th.

I'm so worried I'll be getting negative feedback for this.

Mine finally tracked again. Delivered today. I read they are starting an email notification like. FedEx and UPS have that sends an email upon delivery so I am guessing they are doing a software upgrade.

I seem to have the opposite problem right now ... ordered a set of mini perfume samples monday the 19th. Was scanned the night of the 19th across the country from me ... 6am on the 20th, it scanned as at my local PO and was "out for delivery" a couple minutes later.

hasn't been scanned as delivered.

but I've also never seen a package get across country and through our local city sorting and to the suburban office so fast. never. it should normally take about 4 days. and this was sent first-class. nothing super-fast.

My buyer, who lives one state away, got her package 12 days after purchase.

A package I handed to my mailman on Tuesday is still not showing up in tracking.

I seem to have the opposite problem right now ... ordered a set of mini perfume samples monday the 19th. Was scanned the night of the 19th across the country from me ... 6am on the 20th, it scanned as at my local PO and was "out for delivery" a couple minutes later.

hasn't been scanned as delivered.

but I've also never seen a package get across country and through our local city sorting and to the suburban office so fast. never. it should normally take about 4 days. and this was sent first-class. nothing super-fast.

yes, i'm totally quoting myself. :P

turns out my ebay seller reused a label that was also delivering to somewhere else, and it somehow got misdirected because of that. I don't know if it was intentional or not.

They wound up creating a package research case yesterday, then it was delivered in one of those clear bags you get when stuff's damaged.

interesting times.