Using Sunscreen = still getting a tan???

The SPF (sun protection factor) tells you how long you can stay in the sun before you will burn. For example, if it takes you 20 minutes to burn. A sunscreen with an SPF10 should theoretically allow you to stay out in the sun 20 minutes x 10
You will only get a tan after that 20x10 minutes has passed and only if you don't re-apply your sunscreen. If you keep reapplying, you won't get a tan.

well from the research that i've done apparently it only takes 10 mins out in the sun a day to get the vitamin D that you need for the day.

So unless you go outside less than 10mins a day, I wouldn't worry about underdosage too much.

IMO This is how i understand sun protection:

Vitamin D - all you need to get your recommended daily allowance (RDA) is 10 minutes a day without sun protection for fair skinned people (me) and up to 20 minutes if you have olive or dark skin.

The sun is also good for problem (acne) skin, but again, only in small doses.

Sun protection should always be worn even when the sun is not out because the harmful UVA/UVB rays will still get through - it's those that can cause cancer, age your skin (leather look is not cool!?:blink: ) and also burn your skin when you're not looking!

A factor 15 is the recommended lowest limit over here in Europe (and we don't get much sun!)

Also remember that the factor of a lotion is not how long you can stay in the sun (for example factor 15) it's 15 x your own skins natural protection against the sun.

With modern sunscreens, they still allow you to tan but without allowing the harmful rays to get through, so don't worry too much - it'll just take a bit longer, but your skin will thank you when you're older!

Tips: Apply sunscreen 20-30 minutes before going out in the sun, re-apply regularly, and always after going in the swimming pool...and try and seek shade between 11-3pm:biggrin:

Failing all that......FAKE IT! lol

I was going to ask the very same thing. I live in a climate that has -40 temps in winter and am going on a road trip to Tuscon this summer. I really want to NOT look like a vampire, so it is good to know that i can wear sunscreen. What do you all suppose is the highest i can wear without jeopardising my chance of browning?

I've only had sunburn like once in my life, so that's not really an issue for me. But when I want some color, I use Coppertone Sport sunscreen (the one in the blue spray can) in like spf25 or so. When I want more sun protection I use broad spectrum coppertone for Babies, which I think is spf50. I get tan wearing both, but I get MUCH tanner wearing the coppertone spray.

i don't know what your skin's like
but i always wear spf 30 lotion on my face and spf 8 tanning oil on the rest of my body
and because i dont burn, i tan all over including where i wear spf lotion on my face

it really depending on your skin type

australia gold has outdoor line its spf 15 tanning lotion/oil they work fab! you should try that if you really want the tan
but never sacrifice your face always wear at least spf 30!

wow - I'm laughing at myself - everyone uses SPF30 or so and here I am using SPF75+. What makes it funnier is that I'm black - medium to dark brown really ;) - and have more protection I guess. I like the sun and all but I don't play with it.

In any case, I've "tanned" through sunscreen before so I'm sure you will too. But please wear sunscreen regardless.

lol qcescada, i'm in the same boat. i'm mexican and i use Spf 50+ on my face.

but i do it more so because I tan super easily and can go from honey colored to super brown in no time at all and it just sucks in the summer because then you have to use different shades of foundation and all that jazz. plus, wrinkles on the face are no fun! I'm only 27 but botox is way to expensive to start so early :P

I don't know why people think you won't get a tan if you use sunscreen.

I tan regularly, always with sunscreen (at least spf 45+). I will get dark even if I use spf 60. Not right away, tanning takes a lot of time and effort lol.

IMO This is how i understand sun protection:

Vitamin D - all you need to get your recommended daily allowance (RDA) is 10 minutes a day without sun protection for fair skinned people (me) and up to 20 minutes if you have olive or dark skin.

The sun is also good for problem (acne) skin, but again, only in small doses.

Sun protection should always be worn even when the sun is not out because the harmful UVA/UVB rays will still get through - it's those that can cause cancer, age your skin (leather look is not cool!?:blink: ) and also burn your skin when you're not looking!

A factor 15 is the recommended lowest limit over here in Europe (and we don't get much sun!)

Also remember that the factor of a lotion is not how long you can stay in the sun (for example factor 15) it's 15 x your own skins natural protection against the sun.

With modern sunscreens, they still allow you to tan but without allowing the harmful rays to get through, so don't worry too much - it'll just take a bit longer, but your skin will thank you when you're older!

Tips: Apply sunscreen 20-30 minutes before going out in the sun, re-apply regularly, and always after going in the swimming pool...and try and seek shade between 11-3pm:biggrin:

Failing all that......FAKE IT! lol

I agree. My dermatologist told me to get out in the sun to help my skin. I've never understood the fuss about the sun. Cancer is genetic, among other things. Of course, if you go out in the sun and bake with oil, you're going to get wrinkles, sunspots and increase your chance of cancer.. but in moderation, I don't see the big deal.

^ My dr told me the same thing. It makes my skin produce more oil, which helps keep eczema at bay. But I feel torn about it... One of my close friends had malignant skin cancer at 23 or 24. He now has a huuuge scar on his face from it, but he's lucky to be ok. He has pale skin and some other risk factors, but he's never been a "sun" person. It really freaked me out! :sad:

I'm really torn as I love the sun and I love to be tan in the summer but I don't want skin cancer or premature aging. I tanned in the beds for many, many years when I was much younger and still do to get a base when I go away on vacation to the tropics.