Using Store Credit vs. Exchange vs. Keeping Item

pr1nc355

Orange Pyramid
O.G.
May 24, 2006
I've been buying Hermes for years, but I've never returned/exchanged anything. I purchased a swift leather CDC a couple of days ago from a US store, but when I took it home, I realized that I really want to hold out for one in exotic leather. I know I have a month to return it for store credit or exchange, but CDCs have been very hard to find in my area, particularly ones with GHW. I don't want to have a short time to use the credit and be forced to buy something I like even less than the CDC I have now.

So a few questions:
1) How much time do I have to use a store credit if I decide to get one?
2) Is the credit transferrable to another person?
3) Do I have to return the item to the same store I bought it from? Or is any store in the US OK?
4) If I get the store credit, is it good for any Hermes boutique in the US? The world?
5) Are my chances of finding a CDC in exotic leather with GHW pretty much nil? I work very close to a H boutique now and I'll be moving to a city with 2 boutiques close by, so if I check them frequently for the time allotted to use the credit, are my chances good? I was told that H tends to get more stock for the holiday season.

I've been buying Hermes for years, but I've never returned/exchanged anything. I purchased a swift leather CDC a couple of days ago from a US store, but when I took it home, I realized that I really want to hold out for one in exotic leather. I know I have a month to return it for store credit or exchange, but CDCs have been very hard to find in my area, particularly ones with GHW. I don't want to have a short time to use the credit and be forced to buy something I like even less than the CDC I have now.

So a few questions:
3) Do I have to return the item to the same store I bought it from? Or is any store in the US OK?
4) If I get the store credit, is it good for any Hermes boutique in the US? The world?
5) Are my chances of finding a CDC in exotic leather with GHW pretty much nil? I work very close to a H boutique now and I'll be moving to a city with 2 boutiques close by, so if I check them frequently for the time allotted to use the credit, are my chances good? I was told that H tends to get more stock for the holiday season.

From my recent experience, (1) when they offer you a 'store credit', this will have a lifespan of approximately one year (at least in Europe). You can use the store credit in any boutique within the US I guess..

(2) If on the invoice there's your name and address stated, I doubt you'll be able to transfer it to a second party (but I might be wrong on this...)

(3) You can return your item to any store in the US, there shouldn't be a problem!

(5) Regarding stock, it's all about the right time and luck!!

I hope I was helpful, and if anyone wants to add or correct me - please feel free to share your knowledge!!!

I have no concrete knowledge about this, but I think most places in the US now have laws about gift cards, store credits etc that they cannot expire or have "no use" fees deducted.

Thanks, heifer.

I have no concrete knowledge about this, but I think most places in the US now have laws about gift cards, store credits etc that they cannot expire or have "no use" fees deducted.

I know that gift cards purchased in California have no expiration date or "no use" fees (I don't know how it works in other states). However, policies regarding merchandise credits are at the discretion of the store. I'm also going to be moving to a different state very soon, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience dealing with Hermes's policies about exchanges/store credits.

Thanks, heifer.

I know that gift cards purchased in California have no expiration date or "no use" fees (I don't know how it works in other states). However, policies regarding merchandise credits are at the discretion of the store. I'm also going to be moving to a different state very soon, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience dealing with Hermes's policies about exchanges/store credits.

My understanding is that refunds and exchanges are governed by local laws and the store manager's discretion. If, for example, they did not order or sell the item that was purchased elsewhere they are not obligated to take it back. You'd be best off checking with the store where you're planning to make the return/exchanged.

Even with the same store, policies can change anytime. Just within the last couple months, my boutique has changed the their policy on store credits that now you have to bring your refund receipt with you to redeem your credits. It used to be the credits would be stored in the system and they would look it up for me. Not sure if this is universal throughout all H stores or not, I'd be curious to know.

Even with the same store, policies can change anytime. Just within the last couple months, my boutique has changed the their policy on store credits that now you have to bring your refund receipt with you to redeem your credits. It used to be the credits would be stored in the system and they would look it up for me. Not sure if this is universal throughout all H stores or not, I'd be curious to know.

I returned my CDC. I was told just as you wrote, that although the credit is in their computer system, I'd still have to bring in my return receipt in order to use the credit. It never expires, and it's good for any H store in the US. I'm pretty sure this is the way it would be for returns to any US store.

So a few questions:
I've returned three types of items--bag, accessory (bracelet) and clothing article (one piece dress)--in the past in the US.

The bag--I had second thoughts about the bag color because it didn't match any of my new shopping that particular summer. I had it exchanged about a week later for a different color. Same bag, different color. Super easy.

The bracelet--The one I purchased initially was too loose as it was sliding up and down my arm. Even though I removed the protective stickers, they gladly accepted the return and since there wasn't anything that I wanted in stock, I took the store credit. It wasn't until about eight months later that I used the store credit for another bracelet. But by then, the price for the same bracelet went up :sad:

The one piece--I purchased a dress in the morning and went home and tried it again and had a change of heart. I went back to the boutique later in the afternoon to get another dress, one a little pricier than the first. Since I paid in cash, I just needed to cover the remaining balance and did so with my card.

Hope this helps.

I returned my CDC. I was told just as you wrote, that although the credit is in their computer system, I'd still have to bring in my return receipt in order to use the credit. It never expires, and it's good for any H store in the US. I'm pretty sure this is the way it would be for returns to any US store.

Thanks for letting me know. This is kind of annoying since H items are pricey and H inventories are scarce and unpredictable, it is a lot to ask us to keep that piece of refund paper for a long time... I am glad that when I had to return a skunk bag, this new policy wasn't in place yet. I would have been a nervous wreck carrying that piece of credit in my wallet for a month, waiting for my replacement bag to come in any moment... Imagine some costumers have to wait for months for their replacement bags right now! 😱 It's like adding insult to an injury 😕

Are products returnable to Hermes from a different country? I recently purchased something in Paris but now second guessing the size. I would like to return or exchange it, would I be able to do so in the US?

Are products returnable to Hermes from a different country? I recently purchased something in Paris but now second guessing the size. I would like to return or exchange it, would I be able to do so in the US?

I don't believe so bc I'm not sure how the store will handle the currency issue, given the item in the U.S. may be priced higher (and you may have received VAT back, if this matters to them). If they offered this global returns program, people would arbitrage and make a profit out of this. As a courtesy, they might do an exchange for something else but I'm still not sure how they handle the €/$ difference.

The back of your invoice should say something about returns though.

When I bought a scarf in Canada, I was told that I could exchange in the US if I changed my mind. Even exchange shouldn't be an issue.

I don't believe so bc I'm not sure how the store will handle the currency issue, given the item in the U.S. may be priced higher (and you may have received VAT back, if this matters to them). If they offered this global returns program, people would arbitrage and make a profit out of this. As a courtesy, they might do an exchange for something else but I'm still not sure how they handle the €/$ difference.

The back of your invoice should say something about returns though.

I was thinking the same regarding currency difference. The back of my invoice has information but it's in French!