Using a designer tote as an everyday purse & diaper bag

km0623

Jun 17, 2020
I'm looking forward to having my first child soon! I don't like anything I'm seeing that's labeled as a 'diaper bag'. They're all so utilitarian, which I understand because it's important for it to be practical, but I would love to carry around something that's more pretty and sleek. I'm thinking of buying a high end leather tote as an every day purse and a diaper bag. I'll be a stay at home so I'm going to be spending all my time with my child and won't need my bag to be office appropriate, although I do like the look of a bag that you could take to work. I'd love to hear from other moms though, as I have no idea how big it needs to be or if maybe getting a designer bag would be a horrible idea if it's inevitable for spills and messes to happen, even if I put in some kind of protective liner?

My first pick aesthetics wise would be the Saint Laurent Manhattan Tote. I love the brown, but it only comes in medium and while it looks a good size, it seems slim and I'm not sure of its ability to hold the million things you need to lug around for a baby.
NMV4DFU_mz.jpg1111775_ou_1365.jpg

It also comes in large but this size just looks ridiculous.
1456ab6d00bdb88aeda222d014e1b333.jpg

Their duffle sdj looks more practical, just obviously not as pretty.
45493366GX_14_d_V4.jpg45493366GX_14_y_V4.jpg

I also love the look of the Loewe Cushion Tote. It looks like a perfect size, I just don't like it as much as the Manhattan.
3083889_100311_m.jpegloewe-cushion-soft-grained-calf-le.jpeg

What works for me is - any backpack in the first year, and after that I love using my Speedy B25 and Givenchy Pandora. I pack light and I don't carry any bottles or water.

Firstly congratulations!

multiple pockets for organisation and a back pack for hands free is probably advisable ... however my friend and I used designer totes with organisers and happily put up with less functionality for style.

You might need to consider how you store it in the pram, easy access versus secure closure...

the SL manhatten is a gorgeous bag but looks like it wouldn't fit wipes, diapers, nappy rash cream, a spare set of clothes, room for soiled nappies and clothes, bags to put them in, a change mat/bunny rug, a baby bottle, snacks and possibly toys ...

Firstly congratulations!

multiple pockets for organisation and a back pack for hands free is probably advisable ... however my friend and I used designer totes with organisers and happily put up with less functionality for style.

You might need to consider how you store it in the pram, easy access versus secure closure...

the SL manhatten is a gorgeous bag but looks like it wouldn't fit wipes, diapers, nappy rash cream, a spare set of clothes, room for soiled nappies and clothes, bags to put them in, a change mat/bunny rug, a baby bottle, snacks and possibly toys ...

Thanks! Yes, the Manhattan was just wishful thinking on my part. I saw those tote to diaper bag inserts for sale but there are still some limitations as to what is usable. I’ll keep looking or consider a cute backpack.

Hi there! As a mom of a 10 month old, I think,you will need to be hands free, especially when they start walking... so a backpack is a must then... before they start walking you will be mostly out and about with a stroller or a Baby carrier... also, depending on where you live, you have to take the weather into consideration.
i was like you, before I had my baby. Now, even the few times I took my Neverfull GM as my designer diaper tote, I found it very cumbersome.... pushing a stroller with a shoulder bag doesn’t work for me,especially with the added weight of all the baby stuff.
Until I bought a small compact stroller, I used with my big stroller a Marc Jacobs diaper bag, hung on the handlebar and a small (designer) crossbody with my essentials. Now, with the compact small stroller, I can’t hang the mj diaper bag (it’s so lightweight, that it can’t hold the weight of a full diaper bag), I take a very light backpack (non designer) plus a small crossbody, sometimes not even that...
I understand your need to carry something stylish, even with a baby in tow and I’m sorry if this isn’t what you wanted to read... bottom line: none of these would work (maybe the sac de jour), unless you have a full time nanny to carry the baby stuff :smile:
I wish you all the best for you and your baby!

Hi there! As a mom of a 10 month old, I think,you will need to be hands free, especially when they start walking... so a backpack is a must then... before they start walking you will be mostly out and about with a stroller or a Baby carrier... also, depending on where you live, you have to take the weather into consideration.
i was like you, before I had my baby. Now, even the few times I took my Neverfull GM as my designer diaper tote, I found it very cumbersome.... pushing a stroller with a shoulder bag doesn’t work for me,especially with the added weight of all the baby stuff.
Until I bought a small compact stroller, I used with my big stroller a Marc Jacobs diaper bag, hung on the handlebar and a small (designer) crossbody with my essentials. Now, with the compact small stroller, I can’t hang the mj diaper bag (it’s so lightweight, that it can’t hold the weight of a full diaper bag), I take a very light backpack (non designer) plus a small crossbody, sometimes not even that...
I understand your need to carry something stylish, even with a baby in tow and I’m sorry if this isn’t what you wanted to read... bottom line: none of these would work (maybe the sac de jour), unless you have a full time nanny to carry the baby stuff :smile:
I wish you all the best for you and your baby!
I appreciate the honest advice! I'd rather hear it than get something I end up never using. I haven't made mom friends yet and the moms I do know would look at me like a freak for asking if I should get a $$$$ diaper bag. I'll keep hunting.

Congratulations on your new baby. I am no longer in need of a diaper bag, but I own the Loewe Cushion and I think it would be perfect for that. The size is good and it is lined with slide in pockets that would fit pampers and towels... The one thing to keep in mind is that the interior is fabric so prone to stains. It is very confortable.
I had two kids and it never occurred to me that I had to be less stylish or change what I like because of being a mother. Of course you adapt, but you can stay yourself.

Congratulations to you! A couple of options worked for me. I wore Baby in a moby wrap (didn't want a stroller) and nursed, so it's possible I just had less to carry, but I was lucky enough to get away with a much simpler bag than other moms on the block. I've always gravitated toward a Veneta for parenting my cub at any age - unless, of course, I was planning to be away from Baby for hours (thereby needing pumping equipment, in which case I schlepped back and forth with a LCLP).

Now Baby is Preteen and I'm still relying on my Venetas. I'll probably give them to Preteen when I become a grandmother. I'll even throw in the moby wrap I wore for good measure. Waste not, want not.

Congratulations to you! A couple of options worked for me. I wore Baby in a moby wrap (didn't want a stroller) and nursed, so it's possible I just had less to carry, but I was lucky enough to get away with a much simpler bag than other moms on the block. I've always gravitated toward a Veneta for parenting my cub at any age - unless, of course, I was planning to be away from Baby for hours (thereby needing pumping equipment, in which case I schlepped back and forth with a LCLP).

Now Baby is Preteen and I'm still relying on my Venetas. I'll probably give them to Preteen when I become a grandmother. I'll even throw in the moby wrap I wore for good measure. Waste not, want not.
That’s true, if you are breastfeeding you need a lot less things, however the time that they are only breastfeeding is about six months, after that you are going to need also food if you are out of home for an extended time...
Also, when it’s raining/snowing, you need something water resistant...

Reactions: Joule
That’s true, if you are breastfeeding you need a lot less things, however the time that they are only breastfeeding is about six months, after that you are going to need also food if you are out of home for an extended time...
Also, when it’s raining/snowing, you need something water resistant...
Good point. They grow into solid food. And the food requirement only grows with them. But as I mentioned above, LCLP works parenting wonders as well (and is weather-and-mess-proof, to boot).

Also, those Venetas are deceptively roomy and comfortable. Now that I think about it, maybe I *won't* be so quick to pass them along in my old age.

Reactions: l.ch.
There are also pretty diaper bags. I like Skip Hop bags, f.e. Portobello convertible backpack is really stylish and you can carry it as a backpack, on the shoulder or as a crossbody. There's also a few ones listed on Poshmark, like Chelsea and Greenwich in several colors.

Reactions: Joule
Diaper bags, at least to me, get gross no matter how hard you try to keep them clean. I don’t advise using a designer bag unless it’s specifically made to be a diaper bag.
My favorite diaper bag was the hard shell Baby Bjorn. They were designed to be used with one hand. I’m not even sure that It’s still being made. I would also look into Kipling as they make diaper bag as well.