Used Hermès Birkin sells for $78,500 in London auction

louch

Jan 15, 2009
Sorry if this has been posted - we are a bit behind here in Australia!

This was a leading story on the internet news I read daily here in Oz.

Intruiged me because although I couldn't afford a bag for this much money, I can understand someone spending it if they did. Wouldn't be happy if they bankrupted themselves etc, but heh, life's short and it sounds like a magnificent bag!

Here's the link:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...n-london-auction/story-e6frfn7i-1225968873376

Thankyou i think this was already posted but since we are on the subject have any if you found out why the bag was called a special edition?????? It looks like rouge H alligator but.......is there something special ?????? .birkel.

I have no idea why this Birkin is considered "special edition". We can't see the horseshoe (if it's there) as the only photos I've seen have the flap down.

According to news reports, it is a Rouge Moyen Alligator with gold hardware from 1998.

Even more so than Black? Is a shiny Red croc considered more desirable than a matt or shiny Black one?

I think yes, bright colours in croc always sell for more at Christies/Bonhams/artcurial etc than black. If its Fuschia the price will go through the roof there is a real competitive thing price wise with groups of bidders at these auctions. I know of two birkins being put in by well known re sellers if you less the sellers premium they have made quite a bit by doing it.

Ok thanks!

My SA and another SA I spoke to in another country always say that Black is the most asked for colour, but maybe that's in normal leather. My workhorse Black Togo certainly got a lot of attention when I took it overseas.

Croc's a whole different story I think. A shiny red croc Birkins is a definite "look at me" bag - not something I would want!

For sure its like a shiny fuschia croc or soleil croc or another bright or complex color crocs they are defiantly more of a special pieces than black croc don't get me wrong all croc is rare and special but to actually give that exotic scaly skin such a capricious and complex color as fuchsia or vert anis or intense red does make them a bit more of a special bag.

For sure its like a shiny fuschia croc or soleil croc or another bright or complex color crocs they are defiantly more of a special pieces than black croc don't get me wrong all croc is rare and special but to actually give that exotic scaly skin such a capricious and complex color as fuchsia or vert anis or intense red does make them a bit more of a special bag.

Yes and is it correct Birkel that it is much more difficult to get the croc skin dyed to a high standard in these colours?