Use eBay shopping cart with caution!

GirlieShoppe

Formerly HermesNewbie
O.G.
Jun 2, 2008
I just wanted to warn everyone about using the shopping cart feature on eBay. Earlier tonight I tried to order several items from one seller (office supplies for my DH). I added each item to my cart and tried to check out, but I kept getting an error message telling me to try again. I kept trying to check out and eventually gave up. When I went back into My eBay, I saw that each time I had tried to check out actually was successful even though I had gotten an error message. Because of this shopping cart glitch I had ordered each item multiple times and the total due was several thousand dollars! :shocked:

I immediately called eBay to explain what happened. The rep told me the only thing I could do was message the seller (which I did) and ask him to cancel the extra items that I accidently purchased. Thankfully he was very understanding and sent me the cancellation requests.

I'm so glad this was cleared up quickly and easily, but I did have a small panic attack when I saw what had happened. That is the last time I will use the shopping cart feature!

Last edited:
eBay was in sad shape all around yesterday. They have been messed up on and off for a few months now. They need to stop trying to improve what is already working.

The best way to read about what is screwed up with eBay on any given day is to reat the eBay Clothing Board. Most of the posters there rely on eBay for an income and they post when things are messed up.

Also their technical board is another place to look. EBay's announcements had no information posted last night.

Last edited:
I agree, noshoe - "EBay's announcements had no information posted last night." - their announcements are really slow to update, if they post at all. The other night, apparently there was a problem with some buyers not being able to complete checkout. I saw nothing posted about it online, but when I called ebay (for an unrelated matter), they were playing an announcement about it while I sat on hold.

So, eBay refused to assist when their shopping cart/site was broken resulting in thousands of dollars of unexpected costs to you.

Then they toss you off on the seller to beg for mercy.

Tsk, tsk and frustratingly typical. Thank God you dealt with a reasonable seller and not the normal nutjob written about here.

I use the cart feature when I'm making multiple purchases from the same seller. These are mostly crafting/decoden items. We're talking a few bucks rather than hundreds. It's pretty good for that. I don't know if the cart is useful for other types of purchases to make it worth taking a chance on multiple charges.

But the more I think of it, WHY was it your issue to fix this with the seller rather than ebay's?! They majorly dropped the ball and that's very bad customer service. Yuck.

So, eBay refused to assist when their shopping cart/site was broken resulting in thousands of dollars of unexpected costs to you.

Then they toss you off on the seller to beg for mercy.

Tsk, tsk and frustratingly typical. Thank God you dealt with a reasonable seller and not the normal nutjob written about here.

I use the cart feature when I'm making multiple purchases from the same seller. These are mostly crafting/decoden items. We're talking a few bucks rather than hundreds. It's pretty good for that. I don't know if the cart is useful for other types of purchases to make it worth taking a chance on multiple charges.

But the more I think of it, WHY was it your issue to fix this with the seller rather than ebay's?! They majorly dropped the ball and that's very bad customer service. Yuck.

It was frustrating that eBay wouldn't cancel the extra orders on their end since it was a glitch in their system that caused the problem.

When I was talking to the eBay rep I asked what would happen if the seller refused to cancel the extra transactions -- could he file several NPB claims against me? She said yes, he could file against me even though it was not my fault. Thankfully, it didn't come to that.