US to CA shipping - Global shipping or Not?

quinna

Jun 27, 2013
I am in the US, and I had some interest from a buyer in Canada for a pair of shoes. She asked me to relist (if there weren't any bids) and if I would mail the shoes directly via usps instead of opting into the Global shipping program. My listing was set with flat price for shipping ($4.95) when I was opted into the program. She mentioned something like $30 extra in charges via the program. I changed my listing to allow US and CA and opted out of the program, but I also switched to calculated shipping. When I researched the rates through the usps website it looked pretty awful for a 1-2 lb package. Is it actually still better to ship directly? Also how do all the customs related charges work without the program? Thanks for any input you can offer!

With the GSP, customs fees are already account for and she won't be responsible for additonal fees. If you ship yourself, she might still get hit with fees for which she's responsible and will have to pay.

You need to ship by either priority mail (not small flat rate box or not flat rate envelope) or express mail because you need tracking to prove delivery.

If your item is $750+, you must have online signature confirmation.

With the GSP, customs fees are already account for and she won't be responsible for additonal fees. If you ship yourself, she might still get hit with fees for which she's responsible and will have to pay.

You need to ship by either priority mail (not small flat rate box or not flat rate envelope) or express mail because you need tracking to prove delivery.

If your item is $750+, you must have online signature confirmation.

By opting out of the GSP, the buyer at least has a shot at not paying the extra in customs and duty. I don't know how they calculate the amount, but I have found that even if my item does get dinged with customs, it's still less than the GSP amount.

I am in the US, and I had some interest from a buyer in Canada for a pair of shoes. She asked me to relist (if there weren't any bids) and if I would mail the shoes directly via usps instead of opting into the Global shipping program. My listing was set with flat price for shipping ($4.95) when I was opted into the program. She mentioned something like $30 extra in charges via the program. I changed my listing to allow US and CA and opted out of the program, but I also switched to calculated shipping. When I researched the rates through the usps website it looked pretty awful for a 1-2 lb package. Is it actually still better to ship directly? Also how do all the customs related charges work without the program? Thanks for any input you can offer!

Shipping directly is better for the buyer. The Global Shipping Program is modelled on the couriers. Part of the service they provide is calculating, assessing, collecting and remitting the customs charges. The buyer is always charged the customs fee plus a brokerage charge to compensate the GSP for the work associated with all of this.

When a package is shipped directly with USPS it is Canadian customs which calculates and assesses the charge. They do not assess a brokerage fee. And often enough, things slide through without any customs charges assessed. Canadapost collects the customs charge and applies a nominal ($5-$8) brokerage fee which is also collected from the buyer.

GSP costs a buyer so much more than direct shipping. I always avoid buying when the shipping is GSP. Plus, when it's shipped directly, custom isn't always charged. We as buyer lose money with GSP (and they take longer time to arrive).

From my experience, GSP takes ages compared to normal shipping.

There's a difference of about 2 weeks with delivery.

If I had the choice, I would always choose normal shipping

GSP costs a buyer so much more than direct shipping. I always avoid buying when the shipping is GSP. Plus, when it's shipped directly, custom isn't always charged. We as buyer lose money with GSP (and they take longer time to arrive).

+1 I prefer sellers who offers to ship directly using USPS. It is cheaper and faster.