Urgent! To clutch or not to clutch?

Sandar

O.G.
Sep 22, 2012
Hello ladies and occasional gentlemen,
I am a newbie in BV world. I am graduating from business school this May and I am considering to buy the top knot clutch in black satin with lamb skin finish to congratulate myself. [emoji48]

The question is, how often do you find yourself using the clutch if you own one? Do you carry it on casual night outs or brunch dates? Do you just reserve it for the formal events? I need ideas, because design wise, it is formal-ish looking and it feels slippery in my hands.... I'm scared that it would end up collecting dust and forgotten in between the special events.

This is the baby I have been eyeing on. I asked my SA to reserve it for me. Please help me decide. Thanks in advance. [emoji8][emoji8][emoji8]

IMG_1485783373.382992.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ksuromax
First, congratulations on your upcoming graduation from business school & welcome to the world of
BV... It is special being in this club sort of speaking & you are in good company
As someone who collects "knots" your first one should be your most functional one & the black satin will
work for many occasions.
It will work for business dinners, almost any social event, brunches & casual nights out.
The black will wear well in the satin as it is not as fragile as you might think.
Enjoy .. What is knot to like!!

Best wishes to you as you complete your degree! Only a few months left!

Thanks for the photo--it's lovely! I used to have a satin Knot like this, only mine was a champagne color with ottone (brass) for the closure. I originally bought it for a wedding that I was in. After that, I carried it only a few times, generally when I went out for a "dressed up" event, though not necessarily formal. I probably could have carried it for more casual occasions, but I didn't--mostly because the lighter color and smooth satin made it seem too dressy for what I was wearing, and I was careful with it because of the color. Also, I was aware that there was a possibility of the lighter color smooth satin showing snags. I always ended up choosing one of my other bags for casual outings, mostly for practical reasons (e.g., needing a little more capacity to fit my belongings for whatever event I was attending).

Right now, I have two of the elongated Stretch Knots, one in nero (black) karung, and one in Monalisa (magenta-purple) silk faille. Because of the extra capacity, the darker colors, and the less fragile-feeling of the black watersnake skin and purple textured silk, I can carry these for both formal and casual occasions. Actually, I haven't used the Monalisa yet, but I find that the texture of the fabric is more forgiving than the smooth satin. I've used the nero one more often, at least several times per year. It's a keeper.

Is there a specific reason why you're considering the satin Knot in particular? If you'd rather have something that has more versatility and a less formal feeling, I would look into other fabric treatments, such as silk faille (which I know was made in the Stretch Knot; not sure about the standard size). Or you can consider a non-fabric option, though those tend to be more expensive. Your SA may be able to track down other styles made in black or black with accents. The Reference section has photos of Knots and other clutches, I believe.

Have fun deciding!

Edited: I just read hotshot's reply. She's one of our Knot queens, and her advice is sound. If your heart is set on the satin Knot, then by all means, let the enabling begin! The nero satin would be a classic choice, and I'm sure you would use it a lot if you really, really like it. You know best on this!

Last edited:
First, congratulations on your upcoming graduation from business school & welcome to the world of
BV... It is special being in this club sort of speaking & you are in good company
As someone who collects "knots" your first one should be your most functional one & the black satin will
work for many occasions.
It will work for business dinners, almost any social event, brunches & casual nights out.
The black will wear well in the satin as it is not as fragile as you might think.
Enjoy .. What is knot to like!!

Yesss what is knot to love [emoji173]️

Best wishes to you as you complete your degree! Only a few months left!

Thanks for the photo--it's lovely! I used to have a satin Knot like this, only mine was a champagne color with ottone (brass) for the closure. I originally bought it for a wedding that I was in. After that, I carried it only a few times, generally when I went out for a "dressed up" event, though not necessarily formal. I probably could have carried it for more casual occasions, but I didn't--mostly because the lighter color and smooth satin made it seem too dressy for what I was wearing, and I was careful with it because of the color. Also, I was aware that there was a possibility of the lighter color smooth satin showing snags. I always ended up choosing one of my other bags for casual outings, mostly for practical reasons (e.g., needing a little more capacity to fit my belongings for whatever event I was attending).

Right now, I have two of the elongated Stretch Knots, one in nero (black) karung, and one in Monalisa (magenta-purple) silk faille. Because of the extra capacity, the darker colors, and the less fragile-feeling of the black watersnake skin and purple textured silk, I can carry these for both formal and casual occasions. Actually, I haven't used the Monalisa yet, but I find that the texture of the fabric is more forgiving than the smooth satin. I've used the nero one more often, at least several times per year. It's a keeper.

Is there a specific reason why you're considering the satin Knot in particular? If you'd rather have something that has more versatility and a less formal feeling, I would look into other fabric treatments, such as silk faille (which I know was made in the Stretch Knot; not sure about the standard size). Or you can consider a non-fabric option, though those tend to be more expensive. Your SA may be able to track down other styles made in black or black with accents. The Reference section has photos of Knots and other clutches, I believe.

Have fun deciding!

Edited: I just read hotshot's reply. She's one of our Knot queens, and her advice is sound. If your heart is set on the satin Knot, then by all means, let the enabling begin! The nero satin would be a classic choice, and I'm sure you would use it a lot if you really, really like it. You know best on this!

Thanks for the detailed and informative reply, dear.
I am currently in Thailand, here, black coloured luxury goods are rare finds, as most are usually reserved for high profile customers.
That black satin one in the picture is the only one I can get my hands on. :'(

I am currently in Thailand, here, black coloured luxury goods are rare finds, as most are usually reserved for high profile customers.

Ah, that is a dilemma, but a rather nice one to have. I see that I have been fortunate to have had the luxury of choice where I live.

Well, I would think about whether the size of the Knot works for you. I know myself, and the small size would be useful primarily for formal occasions when I don't need to have my hands free. At mingling types of events, I prefer using a clutch that can tuck under my arm so that I don't have to hold it in my hand the whole time. Your needs might be different from mine, though.

I have one in black leather, Foam
I wear it for a night out in the pub/bar with jeans, or for a date with a silk dress and full make up. It's absolutely versatile and can be dressed up and down.
Only you will decide how you will wear it, it will be your gorgeous accessory either way.

Blueiris's comment about the "faille" is a great alternative to the satin & it does have more room & will offer
more options in terms of using it...
I have just pm'd you
Good luck

Last edited:
I have one in black leather, Foam
I wear it for a night out in the pub/bar with jeans, or for a date with a silk dress and full make up. It's absolutely versatile and can be dressed up and down.
Only you will decide how you will wear it, it will be your gorgeous accessory either way.

Thanks for the input [emoji173]️

I love the Knot and pondered purchasing one many, many times but clutches are just not for me. Do you currently use a clutch at all that this Knot would replace? If you are not already using a clutch I would really, really think about purchasing it. They are too expensive to just sit in a drawer because you won't carry them.

I love this bag as well but I worry that there is no chain inside to carry it on your shoulder. Especially at the cocktail hour of a formal event. I picture myself struggling with my bag, my glass and my cocktail plate...is this an annoyance for any owners??

I love this bag as well but I worry that there is no chain inside to carry it on your shoulder. Especially at the cocktail hour of a formal event. I picture myself struggling with my bag, my glass and my cocktail plate...is this an annoyance for any owners??
Some of the knots were made with wrist loops and/or chains

Attachments

• images-5.jpg
    images-5.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 435
  • images-4.jpg
    images-4.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 438
  • images-2.jpg
    images-2.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 450
  • images-3.jpg