URGENT Q re Oak Alexa

Poppy bagfan

aka Poppy Dogfan
O.G.
May 31, 2008
I wonder if you can help me with a BIG decision...

I am spending a night in London with my good friend who i dont get to see often as we live 500 miles apart and i want to take oak alexa with me...but it is forecast to rain...

has anyone had their oak alexa in the rain for a soaking - and if so what happened??

I am leaving in the morning and would be so gratful for advice before then.

many thanks in advance!

A total old lady response here, but why don't you shove a plastic bag into your pocket so if you are out and about and it starts lashing at least you can put Alexa into the plastic!

I really really want to take her with me but will she withstand a bit of rain...my gut feeling is that she will....she has had 2 collonils and can have another in the morning - I just wondered if anyone with an oak one had had her get wet yet?

(thanks for your idea tho Emmy lou as i seriiously had not thought of that!)

I had mine out in Snow/rain last sunday and the same tuesday. Not for the whole day but quite a bit. She was not soaked at all, water gathered in drops and fell off. Can't see any trace at all, colloniled a couple of times. The pliage sounds a good idea in the case it would rain heavily. Have a nice trip !

Tiree and lakrits - thanks so much! i think the longchamp and the alexa will come with me!!! Great to hear about your expereinces - i did a droplet test in her tongiht and it was as you say - bobbled and rolled off.....would hate to runi her but also hate the thought of not using her either!

THANK YOU!

Have a great time in London Poppy, and enjoy using your gorgeous Alexa. As others have said, you have treated her twice already, so she will be absolutely fine, even if you were caught in a storm!!

And, you always have the excuse of going into more stores to escape the rain ;)

I think that if you have treated the bag with products like collonilspray it will be no problem... if there will be any marks from the rain, use leatherbalm! I have a pair of really nice redbrown leather high boots. Ive treat them with collonil and leatherbalm many times the season they are in use, use them in snow, rain and so on. They just get nicer as they age. The leather in the boots are probably less sensitive then the Alexa but i guess the same treatment will do the trick...

I just love when a bag looks used, when the leather is aged, but it has to be good condition.
I remember an article about a woman who inherited a hermes kelly from her mother. It looked so lovely! it were over 30 years old and so worn in and lovely!

I tend to agree with you about leather looking worn in too ztory....I have a pair of oak coloured knew high boots that i have had and worn for 6 or 7 years and yes they are marked but they still look fabulous!

Thanks for your views.

I must admit I'm going to differ here. Your time with your friend isbprecious why spend it worrying about a bag. Take one you know will be ok and kick back and relax

thanks Blue - opthers have said that elsewhere....am in an even bigger dilemma but think i will err on side of caution.....I am pretty positive that Alexa would be OK BUT it is a lot of money if not......for the sake of two days.....

I sprayed mine with Collonil once and it was caught in the Melbourne storm last month, no staining whatsoever, which I was really scared of when I saw the rain drop onto it! The Collonil definitely did wonders, so I wouldn't worry too much!

But if I did have a Longchamp on me, I would have placed the Alexa in it though... just in case!