Urgent!!! Need diverse advice on next bag purchase!!!

rnp1987

Apr 21, 2008
Hi everyone...

I am about to graduate from college in about 3 weeks, and want to treat myself to a new purse for all of my hard work. As of right now... my collection consists of
1) Rebecca Minkoff black basketweave MAM (a medium black satchel that can be worn on the shoulder with tassles)
2) Rebecca Minkoff Wine Nikki (a deep red large hobo)
3) Treesje Electric Blue Asher (a chameleon blue satchel)
4) Rebecca Minkoff Black MA clutch (a black clutch with a long chain that can be worn crossbody)
5) a Gerard Darel light brown 24 heurs bag (a medium satchel, can be worn on the shoulder)
6) Rebecca Minkoff eggshell Mini Nikki (white/cream smaller hobo)

I will try to add pictures of the bags (if I can find them on my laptop) for those of you who aren't really familiar with the brands.

So for my next purchase... I am willing for it to be more of an investment piece, but would like to cap that at $1,500 at the absolute most. Recently I have been interested in Miu Miu (the bow and the coffer mostly), YSL (the Muse), Balenciaga, and even a little LV.

Right now I have a Balenciaga Raisin (medium-dark purple) RH city on preorder but can cancel it anytime before June. So with everyone's differing tastes and knowledge on bags, I thought this was the best sub-forum for my questions. I would really appreciate any suggestions on bags and colors I need in my collection.

Since none of my friends understand my obsession I am relying on you ladies for encouragement.... enable away!!! :graucho:

Last edited:
I would say either the Bal, the Muse, or the Coffer. I would definitely think investment purchase, something that will last forever and that you could resell if needed for a solid price. Since you already have a lot of neutrals, how about something in a brighter color for year-round use?

Congratulations on your accomplishment, by the way!! :yahoo:

Thanks Lo... the last couple weeks are so hard, senioritis has really kicked in! How bright are we talking?

Hey there! I feel you on the senioritis...I get it too, and I am a college professor! :lol:

Um....let's seee...I would do a "classic" bright, something like a true red. (Only if you are comfortable with that). I think that your electric blue asher was a great choice in that sense. Nothing hotter than a pair of jeans and a crisp white shirt and a killer bag in a contrasting, classy color. Would look great for interviews, too.

I also think that the raisin Bal is a nice choice, personally -- and even though it's in the same color family as your wine Nikki, I would say that if you know that you are going to use it you should stick with it. A city with RHW is a classic.

Anyone else? I thought I would have more opinions!!

You didn't say what degree you are getting or what your plans are for after college. I think that would tell me more about your work and lifestyle.

I never thought I'd say this, but I think you should save up for a Chanel. You will cherish it until you're 80 and beyond.

I'm a Miu Miu & YSL girl myself so I say the bow or the muse...classic. The coffer IMO just has too much hardware. You're young so get a fun color! You have neutrals, blue and red already so maybe try a shade of purple? The bow comes in a dark purple called iris. I think it's darker than the pic IRL. Or the muse in berry...such a gorgeous color!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• bow.jpg
    bow.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 359
  • muse.jpg
    muse.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 350
One thing that struck me about your list is that you don't have any small clutches or wristlets. These are so much fun for going out or when you don't need a big bag, and for your prices you could get 2 or 3.

I'm a Miu Miu & YSL girl myself so I say the bow or the muse...classic. The coffer IMO just has too much hardware. You're young so get a fun color! You have neutrals, blue and red already so maybe try a shade of purple? The bow comes in a dark purple called iris. I think it's darker than the pic IRL. Or the muse in berry...such a gorgeous color!

attachment.php

attachment.php

GORGEOUS choices, both of them! I love the bow especially...I would have suggested that, but the sealant issues worry me. That iris bow is amazing!!!

I am a Rebecca Minkoff fan. They are not classics in the traditional sense, but in many ways they are a current twist on traditional looks. Currently I am alternating between my peacock Nikki and my cream and brown MAM. I love both, but I am carrying the MAM more often. It's great for both work and casual. You choice somewhat depends on what you are going to do after you graduate. I think the MAM looks more appropriate in a traditional business setting than the Nikki. I also love the Morning After Clutch - it carries more than you think; but it can be a more limiting size.

By the way, if case you haven't seen it in person, the black basketweave MAM is not actually woven - it is embossed leather.

Congratulations on your graduation! :woohoo:

I am a Rebecca Minkoff fan. They are not classics in the traditional sense, but in many ways they are a current twist on traditional looks. Currently I am alternating between my peacock Nikki and my cream and brown MAM. I love both, but I am carrying the MAM more often. It's great for both work and casual. You choice somewhat depends on what you are going to do after you graduate. I think the MAM looks more appropriate in a traditional business setting than the Nikki. I also love the Morning After Clutch - it carries more than you think; but it can be a more limiting size.

By the way, if case you haven't seen it in person, the black basketweave MAM is not actually woven - it is embossed leather.

Congratulations on your graduation! :woohoo:

I actually own all of those bags you mentioned.... I've been a busy girl. I was hoping to branch out of the RM world and get a little more diversity in my collection.

You didn't say what degree you are getting or what your plans are for after college. I think that would tell me more about your work and lifestyle.

I never thought I'd say this, but I think you should save up for a Chanel. You will cherish it until you're 80 and beyond.

I will have a BA in Accounting and I will be working for a Big 4 accounting firm in downtown LA. Most of the time we wear business casual, so I don't need an overly stiff business purse (I wore my RM MAM over the summer and I didn't feel out fo place).

Also when I'm not working, I am a pretty casual girl. I live in jeans and a t-shirts or cute tops. I need a purse that I can throw on when I'm wearing cutoffs and a wife beater, but that can also work for a more dressed up look, like out to a nice-ish dinner.

Thanks for all of your advice. I'm loving the bow and the Muse... I just don't know how I would choose!!!!

Love these both. i think the YSL is more classic though

attachment.php

attachment.php