URGENT!!! If Your Cat Runs Away

HEART15

O.G.
Jan 14, 2006
and manages to find their way back....what should the next steps be?
My cat got out and went missing for a little over 2 hours tonight. He hasnt been out in the entire year I've had him but he was a stray at one point so I guess it's not a totally new thing to him. Fortunately he came back & was waiting on the porch as we were coming up the front steps from looking for him. It was the worst 2 hours of my LIFE!!! Once i saw him i called his name & he came towards me...then started meowing to get back in the house. He seems ok but a little jumpy at first. Right now he's laid out on the floor like he's been on a road trip. I gave him a few of his fave treats when we got in so he wouldnt think i was mad.

What comes now...I have no clue where he's been & what he's been up to...so I wanna take precaution. He's neutered and about 3 yrs old. Doesnt seem to be hurt or injured, but what about fleas, diseases, etc. My Mom isnt sure if she wants him on our beds yet. I guess we need to get him to the vet ASAP...anything else we can do in the meantime? TIA

Do you have flea shampoo? Bathe him since he doesn't seem to be injured. It seems you are more concerned with the fleas and such, so don't worry. Was he immunised and dewormed? If he eats outside food he may get worms. Check his poo for the next few days.

My advice would be to get your kitty to the vet ASAP. Even if (s)he is vaccinated, you don't know what (s)he was exposed to. Sometimes, cats and dogs can have cuts/scrapes that we can't see because of the amount of space between the layers of their skin. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Your cat was outside for 2 hours and doesn't appear to have gotten into a fight. I fail to see the concern....

Cats are animals. They're designed to live outside. He was probably around the corner or napping under a bush. If you're worried about fleas, give him flea medicine.

Your cat was outside for 2 hours and doesn't appear to have gotten into a fight. I fail to see the concern.....
I agree.

If you are going to get this anxious about your cat spending time outdoors---don't let him outdoors. My cats used to be indoor-outdoor cats until one too many injuries forced me to make them indoor-only. They don't seem to mind and I always know where they are.

Do you have flea shampoo? Bathe him since he doesn't seem to be injured. It seems you are more concerned with the fleas and such, so don't worry. Was he immunised and dewormed? If he eats outside food he may get worms. Check his poo for the next few days.

Thanks! We gave him a bath and he actually gets flea treatments on occasion. Yeah he's been immunised...i will check his poo. Really appreciate it!

Your cat was outside for 2 hours and doesn't appear to have gotten into a fight. I fail to see the concern....

Cats are animals. They're designed to live outside. He was probably around the corner or napping under a bush. If you're worried about fleas, give him flea medicine.

The concern was for fleas, diseases, etc. Even though he doesnt appear to have been in a fight...it doesnt mean other issues couldnt be present that are harmful to him & my family. I'm just being careful.

I agree.

If you are going to get this anxious about your cat spending time outdoors---don't let him outdoors. My cats used to be indoor-outdoor cats until one too many injuries forced me to make them indoor-only. They don't seem to mind and I always know where they are.

He's an indoor cat and got out by accident. I didnt let him outside and never have. Read the thread title

Also...my cat was declawed when i got him. He's been with me for a year and his previous owner for maybe a little over a year...so thats 2 years that he's strictly been an indoor cat ONLY. Thanks again for the helpful responses.

Just wanted to let you know that not all parasites are visible to the naked eye. So you may not see them in your kitty's poop. You can always drop off a sample at your vet if you want to have it checked. It's usually about $10-20 for a simple fecal.

Please take your cat to the vet as soon as possible. I hope your cat is doing ok. Our cat ran away last year for about 5 days, and everyone was so worried. I definitely know how you feel since our cat is a house cat too. I think the major worries are fleas and ticks, and what did the cat eat outside. So your vet could help. And if your cat doesn't wear a collar, make sure he has one from now on.

It sounds like your kitty is fine this time but if he is going to go outside you might want to have him microchipped. This obviously won't prevent injuries or disease, but if he disappears and shows up at a shelter or a vet hospital they will be able to ID him and contact you.