URGENT HELP! Chloe bag broke during delivery!

effinhaute

Sep 18, 2006
I sold my Chloe paddington bag earlier this week and shipped it out USPS express. I just received an email from the buyer saying that the loop the lock is attached to broke off on one side. I have no idea what to do now! It clearly shows in my pictures that it was not like that when I was seling the bag ( I have pictures of myself wearing the bag, of the Chloe stamped on the hardware where the lock is clearly hanging from the loop and perfectly intact). Is there any way Chloe will be willing to fix this for free? I sold this bag because I was in desperate need of $$ and now I think I might need to do a partial refund or something....

Anybody have any ideas on where I can get this fixed??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Here is my listing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190213126250&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=009

Here is the picture she sent me
-1.jpg

I am more than positive it is the same bag and she is not trying to scam me or anything..

geniepr -- Will the post office pay for the damages?? Or is the insurance only for items taht are lost.

It doesn't look liek Chloe will be much of a help. They are telling me I need to bring it back to the store I bought it at to get it repaired and I purchased this bag off ebay as well, but it was a new with tags bag when I got it.

What to do!!

I only see 2 options here.

A) tell seller there should be no problem getting it fixed at a Chloe store or a store that sells Chloe. All she has to say is that it was a GIFT. IF they do charge her for the fix, then I think you should be responsible for that amount in a refund

B) Have her send it back to you, you take it to the Chloe store stating it's a gift & handle it that way. Once it's fixed, send back. HOWEVER, thinking thru a Buyer's state-of-mind, there would have to be some kind of financial guarantee that you wouldn't be scamming her out of her money.

I am more than positive it is the same bag and she is not trying to scam me or anything..

geniepr -- Will the post office pay for the damages?? Or is the insurance only for items taht are lost.

For what I understand yes, if you bought insurance for the item value at the post office you should be fine. Try giving them a call to see what they say. Also was there any damage to the box? seems kind of weird that it broke right there, I tought that would happend like if you pulled it with a special tool or something, unless it was damaged before you bought it and just glued back together. :s

Here's more info on insurance

http://www.usps.com/insurance/welcome.htm

I am sure any Chloe boutique can send the bag for repair. If you have postal insurance it should cover you for damages. If you look up the service you used online it should tell you what is covered. I would reassure the buyer for now and tell her you are making enquiries. Good luck but dont worry, its not a major thing and I am sure it can easily be fixed.

She emailed me again saying she took it to 2 different jewelry repair shops and said they couldn't repair it because it wasn't gold or silver??

Where else could they solder the broken piece??

Would it be worth it to just give her a refund and fix it myself and resell it stating the flaw??

It doesn't look liek Chloe will be much of a help. They are telling me I need to bring it back to the store I bought it at to get it repaired and I purchased this bag off ebay as well, but it was a new with tags bag when I got it.

What to do!!

How long ago was that? You can try emailing your original seller to find out whereabouts they bought it and take it to that store for the repair. If you rather not deal with it that way, any major retailer that carries the brand is likely to help you and they will either repair themselves or send out to manufacturer. Either way expect the bag to be gone for a while to have it repaired.

Options -
1) Offer full refund upon buyer return. Basically, the bag was not received in the condition that was promised, whether damaged by the USPS or not, so this would be the right thing to do. If the damage was done by the USPS they will require to see the container it was shipped in along with any packing material for inspection. Process is a PITA and takes a long time for them to reimburse. I do not recommend that you hold the buyer hostage to USPS for refund. You yourself can start the process of filing and you will be the receipient of any reimbursement. If the package shows no sign of damage it will be tough to prove to the USPS that they damaged the bag.
or -
2) Renegotiate. If the buyer is happy with the bag (other than the lock problem) ask if she is willing to keep the bag with a partial refund. You will ask that she deal with the repair herself and you be done with the transaction. A fair offer back for that problem is maybe between 10% to 15% of the BIN price.

;) Ok, let us know what happens!

:idea: Crazy Glue with it!!! :nuts::hrmm:

No, really just take the bag back and refund your buyer. If you are sure it is the same bag and you shipped it properly I see no reason why they should stay with a damage item. Good Luck!

i just find it really hard to believe that the bag's metal part would break off that easily (or even at all) in transit. it's not like you wrapped it in paper and shipped it that way. even then, i'm sre the bag cn take a few beating.. i'm not that familiar with chloe but have seen the hardware irl - and those things look really sturdy! not to mention, an expensive bag which should have excellent quality..

you think it might be buyers remorse? or possibly a scam?

either way, i'm so sorry to hear that you have to deal with this :sad:
i hope everything works out in the end!

It's absolutely possible that the bag broke while being mailed - I know from experience :tdown: - a Jimmy Choo bag I just bought was in perfect condition in the photos but badly packed (plastic bag inside a big box) and not only did a grommet separate but the leather looks stressed in a way it didn't in the photos.

As a buyer, I'm not sure what I want & luckily the seller is like you - really nice, and sorry this happened, but I would think a 15% refund or so, like suggested above, would do it. It's such a hassle for a buyer to repack, get it to the post office/ups, and then get a refund.

i just find it really hard to believe that the bag's metal part would break off that easily (or even at all) in transit. it's not like you wrapped it in paper and shipped it that way. even then, i'm sre the bag cn take a few beating.. i'm not that familiar with chloe but have seen the hardware irl - and those things look really sturdy! not to mention, an expensive bag which should have excellent quality..

you think it might be buyers remorse? or possibly a scam?

either way, i'm so sorry to hear that you have to deal with this :sad:
i hope everything works out in the end!

ITA - sure it's not a scam...?

Chloe bags are pretty hardy and the area that is broken (shown in your photo) is really hard to break. I have never known a paddington to break at that point. Ever. I don't understand how that could have happened, even if someone had sat on the box during shipping!