Urgent! Cartier Santos Rubber or J12? Need to decide asap

mozzarella

O.G.
Jul 16, 2006
So I was contemplating getting a new watch for summer - something white. I was deciding between Chanel J12 and Cartier Santos in white rubber. I am still a bit hesitant oabout which one i should choose but I went into a watch shop today and they said there is a price increase for cariter from 1st of march - 400$! So it will go from $5040 to $5440! They said I can still get it at the old price if I put a deposit ASAP. The Chanel i wanted was $4600.
So, pleease, help be decide. Anyone has the cartier? How does it hold? I am so torn.... I would get both if I had the $$$

Attachments

• car5.jpg
    car5.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 470
my cousin's wife has the Cartier and i love it! it's very pretty and great for every day wear...esp. for the summer! both are fashion watches so it's really up to you. i've seen too many J12 fakes to appreciate it but i live in Hong Kong. :shrugs:

my cousin's wife has the Cartier and i love it! it's very pretty and great for every day wear...esp. for the summer! both are fashion watches so it's really up to you. i've seen too many J12 fakes to appreciate it but i live in Hong Kong. :shrugs:

Yeah, that's my problem with J12 - sooo many people have it, also so many fakes. But I like the ceramic band better than the rubber one. I never thought of cartier as a fashion watch though. How do you define a fashion watch anyway? thanks for advice :smile:

I personally prefer the Santos with a leather strap or even steel but rubber's fine because it's fun, you know what I mean?

I'm guessing that the OP already has a 'serious' watch or maybe a whole collection so this would just be an addition. If it were a starter watch I'd say go with a Rolex jubilee or something or Cartier roadster/tank.

Well, if you really want to get into it...some watches are just well-made watches inside, you what I mean? Certain companies have developed a reputation for making reliable time pieces that have stood the test of time. If you talk to a 'serious watch lover' they'll tell you that certain brands are made better than others etc. It's a huge debate and what I say is just my personal opinion. I didn't say that Cartier makes crap watches...just that for the price you're paying you are buying the brand more than what it's made of. Watches are expensive 'toys' and some people put a lot of time into it because it's a hobby.

My cousin's an avid watch collector and is a bit of a snob when it comes to watches... The thing is, Cartier makes amazing jewelry and their watches are beautifully designed but watches aren't the only thing they do and, please do correct me if I'm wrong but they didn't become famous because of the watches either.

do you think rubber is too.... flimsy? Even though it's cartier....?

Yeah that is my concern. It doesn't matter if it's Cartier (registered mark) rubber, it's still rubber. I love the way it looks, but it can still get marked up or torn up. So for that price, I'd go with a white leather or steel strap instead. That is only my thinking - maybe you are more careful with watches than I am! ;)

I personally prefer the Santos with a leather strap or even steel but rubber's fine because it's fun, you know what I mean?

I'm guessing that the OP already has a 'serious' watch or maybe a whole collection so this would just be an addition. If it were a starter watch I'd say go with a Rolex jubilee or something or Cartier roadster/tank.

Well, if you really want to get into it...some watches are just well-made watches inside, you what I mean? Certain companies have developed a reputation for making reliable time pieces that have stood the test of time. If you talk to a 'serious watch lover' they'll tell you that certain brands are made better than others etc. It's a huge debate and what I say is just my personal opinion. I didn't say that Cartier makes crap watches...just that for the price you're paying you are buying the brand more than what it's made of. Watches are expensive 'toys' and some people put a lot of time into it because it's a hobby.

My cousin's an avid watch collector and is a bit of a snob when it comes to watches... The thing is, Cartier makes amazing jewelry and their watches are beautifully designed but watches aren't the only thing they do and, please do correct me if I'm wrong but they didn't become famous because of the watches either.

yeah, I know, they started out as a jewlery company. But the thing is, I am NOT a "serious" watch collecter, to be honest I consider watches somewhat a status symbol and in terms of non-design qualities, I always look at the brand first and than on inner characteristics. I know it's totally sad and shallow of me, but in my mind Cartier is more "status"-y for watches than Chanel, even though there is little difference in price.
I am not looking for a classic watch, I have a Tag, a Chopard and a hand-me-down Omega, they all have steel bracelets and I just don't like it all that much. I am obsessed with white and there are not that many nice white watches on the market.
I know many people say that in that price range Rolex is a better choice than Cartier, but I like the Cartier design better. The only Rolex I really LOVE is the one with chronograph - Daytona (even though I have no need for the chronograph) but I heard they are like the Birkin of watches - impossible to get in a shop, only ebay and overpriced resellers. :tdown:

Yeah that is my concern. It doesn't matter if it's Cartier (registered mark) rubber, it's still rubber. I love the way it looks, but it can still get marked up or torn up. So for that price, I'd go with a white leather or steel strap instead. That is only my thinking - maybe you are more careful with watches than I am! ;)

omg, I haven't even thought of that! :wtf:
Tearing it would be a nightmare. :Push:

i love the J12! I have the large diamond chrono in black and my husband gave me a white one as my "push" present. so durable and has such a presence. I would worry that the rubber on the santos might yellow. I would ask the watch shop if that happens.

You're completely right about the Daytona...it really is VERY difficult to find at a good price.

Oops, my bad. I didn't realize that you were the OP, hahaa. I'm sorry!! It's late over here and I'm about to sleep.

I think you should go for the Cartier. I'm afraid to say this because so many ladies have and love the J12...but in my opinion it is probably a better made watch and more 'status-y' than a Chanel J12.

So I was right in saying that you're not looking for a 'starter' watch..in that case I say, why not the rubber band, you know? You can go swimming with it etc. and not worry about scratching it.

It's not sad nor is it shallow of you to prefer one over the other. Your instinct is probably right because honestly, Cartier's been doing watches for awhile...and Chanel only became famous for the watches because of the J12. Both are great watches and very beautiful...but I say go with the one you think you'll wear more and have more fun with! I still say go for the Cartier if that's what you want.

My cousin's wife looks really pretty with the watch on. If it gets dirty, you can use a white eraser to rub off the dirt marks and if that doesn't work it's much cheaper to replace a rubber band than a ceramic one, right? ;)

You can always get new rubber bands--I know Chopard has them for the Happy Fish series. It's just a matter of preference as to how it looks for you.

Either way, you'll get a beautiful watch!