Urban chickens

BleuSaphir

Born Again Speedy
O.G.
Nov 20, 2010
I acquired 2 chickens. Having to live in a suburb. It definitely an odd choice of pet. Most people would associate chickens being exclusively livestock.

When I was a child, I was introduce to a farm outside of town. I was super fascinated with the chickens. My parent let me have 3 chickens when I was 12 years old. I had break away from keeping chickens with problem with former neighbor dogs. Now with Covid, I let myself be in tuned with my childhood fascination of chickens. As usual-I find chickens fascinating pets. Each have personalities. Fun to watch. These two are no exception.
2BE57A44-761A-41F3-840C-72A013E78291.jpeg
F6E5F587-202C-4A63-A33D-F07F3537A802.jpeg

Wow! They're very adorable! What kind of chickens are they? I've always wanted to raise chickens, but never had the space growing up. I did have duck for some time, though. Would still like to have chickens one day. I currently live in the city with my dogs with very little space and no yard.

I acquired 2 chickens. Having to live in a suburb. It definitely an odd choice of pet. Most people would associate chickens being exclusively livestock.

When I was a child, I was introduce to a farm outside of town. I was super fascinated with the chickens. My parent let me have 3 chickens when I was 12 years old. I had break away from keeping chickens with problem with former neighbor dogs. Now with Covid, I let myself be in tuned with my childhood fascination of chickens. As usual-I find chickens fascinating pets. Each have personalities. Fun to watch. These two are no exception.
View attachment 4955422
View attachment 4955423
these are fancy chickens...and in addition to being pets you get eggs, right?
we live in a suburb/country property. our neighbors had chickens but I haven't heard them for awhile. these people seem to treat anmals as disposable. their goats are also gone.
I know a lot of people in the suburbs have chickens these days but I didn't really think they were pets. yours are cute

We have a neighbor who has a chicken named Wobbles and she escaped one day. The whole neighborhood was on the lookout because as far as we know she is the only chicken in town and we were so worried the coyotes would get her. Fortunately, she was found and the cops are turning a blind eye because city codes don’t allow chickens as pets. But our town now loves Wobbles and her owner now takes her on walks on the beach. She puts a smile on everyone’s face as she struts by.

Last edited:
They're gorgeous! We had three white Silkies (the breed of chicken) when I was younger and they were so loving.

Wow! They're very adorable! What kind of chickens are they? I've always wanted to raise chickens, but never had the space growing up. I did have duck for some time, though. Would still like to have chickens one day. I currently live in the city with my dogs with very little space and no yard.

They're called silkie chickens here in the UK :smile: not sure if it's the same in the US!

Having lived both in NYC and Philadelphia, chickens have become more popular in urban areas. My mom grew up with chickens in their garden in NZ -- everyone had them. The most surprising (to me) was the fact that chickens roamed freely in my son's neighborhood in Hawaii. All over apartment complexes, shopping center parking lots etc. And a rooster woke me every morning there.

Having lived both in NYC and Philadelphia, chickens have become more popular in urban areas. My mom grew up with chickens in their garden in NZ -- everyone had them. The most surprising (to me) was the fact that chickens roamed freely in my son's neighborhood in Hawaii. All over apartment complexes, shopping center parking lots etc. And a rooster woke me every morning there.
our neighbors have chickens but they have to be in a pen or the coyotes would get them