Uptown.....Uptown !!!

I wish I knew if this is a potential forever piece or if the removable clutch is super insecure and easy for thieves etc. Then again I think with the option to jut show the simple SL Logo how could this ever go out of style?
From the fate of previous similar bags (e.g. Trois Clous, Rive Gauche, Chyc, the previous Downtown...), this will most likely not be a permanent item but it will be in production for a couple of good years. I doubt that it will have the longevity of Kate or Sac De Jour.

I have seen this bag in my local YSL boutique. The removable clutch fits pretty snugly into the front pocket (you have to place it in at the correct angle then it will slide into it smoothly) and the clutch itself has a super strong magnetic closure so I doubt any pickpocket can easily do a grab-and-runaway with it.

But the super strong magnetic closure poses another problem: you will have the round imprint (like an embossing) of the closure on the bag itself and it’s really obvious when you wanna use the bag sans the clutch (all the display pieces in the boutique has the same issue). This is due to the fact that the front part of the bag is clasped in between the closure when you put the clutch into the front pocket.

If you are not ok with that I would suggest you take a look at either the ‘Rive Gauche’ cabas from on the resale market (there’re 3 ‘Rive Gauches’ from different era of YSL, just in Stefano Pilati’s tenure two completely different ‘Rive Gauches’ were produced), or just get a Sac De Jour.

Anyway welcome to the world of YSL!

Last edited:
Reactions: katlina
I personally think the bag has extremely classic elements which will stand the test of time. Elegant smooth leather, iconic YSL logo, tradition shape and nice structure.

It also can be worn hand held, in your elbow or crossbody. It has a secure zip and front pouch. Can be dressed up or down. It won’t date. I prefer the look of this to the Sac De Jour.

From the fate of previous similar bags (e.g. Trois Clous, Rive Gauche, Chyc, the previous Downtown...), this will most likely not be a permanent item but it will be in production for a couple of good years. I doubt that it will have the longevity of Kate or Sac De Jour.

I have seen this bag in my local YSL boutique. The removable clutch fits pretty snugly into the front pocket (you have to place it in at the correct angle then it will slide into it smoothly) and the clutch itself has a super strong magnetic closure so I doubt any pickpocket can easily do a grab-and-runaway with it.

But the super strong magnetic closure poses another problem: you will have the round imprint (like an embossing) of the closure on the bag itself and it’s really obvious when you wanna use the bag sans the clutch (all the display pieces in the boutique has the same issue). This is due to the fact that the front part of the bag is clasped in between the closure when you put the clutch into the front pocket.

If you are not ok with that I would suggest you take a look at either the ‘Rive Gauche’ cabas from on the resale market (there’re 3 ‘Rive Gauches’ from different era of YSL, just in Stefano Pilati’s tenure two completely different ‘Rive Gauches’ were produced), or just get a Sac De Jour.

Anyway welcome to the world of YSL!
Hello and thank you for the kind welcome!
It is all very interesting, haha, I have been trying to read and catch up. Thanks for pointing out the round magnet imprint, I actually expected this to be the case and dont think I would mind too much.

a one on one replacement for the bag I currently just just for work would be the big leather tote saint laurent makes but I just cannot justify spending so much on a bag thats so simple. Theres not even a zip :biggrin: Somehow, im fine with the extravaganza of the uptwon - detachable thingy here, nice zips here, pockets in here, two handles there.. I like that. It feels like im getting more for my money, if that makes sense.

Considering its such a new piece, I guess Il will give it a try and return if it turns out to be too small or whatever.
The sac du jour was an option but it is juust so heavy.... even when its entirely empty.

That sounds great! Over here on chanel, people always do "What fits" posts and videos and I have been researching the hell out of this small bag but cannot find aaanything.
Could you tell me a little bit about it? is it a new style or just not too liked my many? I have the chance to get it for 45% off so am very much considering getting it without ever having seen it IRL. Does the leahter hold up well?

Could you please share where you can get the Uptown for 45% off? I would love to get one too!:angel:

So I ended up buying an Uptown Large in the sale for 50% off... However, I'm now a bit worried that the size will be a bit for me compared with the Uptown Medium, which is the size most people have.

The Large and the Medium are both 31 cm (roughly 12.2 inches) in length, but the Large is 29.5 cm (11.6 inches) in height, which gives the bag a more squarish look compared to the Medium, which is clearly rectangular at 24 cm (9.4 inches) in height. The Large is also 1 cm deeper (17 cm for the Large vs 16 cm for the Medium), but this difference is negligible. My concern is mainly that the Large would look ridiculous when worn crossbody or on one shoulder due to the extra height and the squarish shape.

What do you guys think? I got the Large for US$1,388 and should I return it and reorder the Medium, it will cost US$1,792. I will also consider simply returning the Large and waiting for the Medium to go on sale if it doesn't suit my needs. Photos taken from farfetch.com for your easier reference.

13512599_16442141_480.jpg

13512599_16442142_480.jpg

13512593_16724328_480.jpg

13512593_16724329_480.jpg

So I ended up buying an Uptown Large in the sale for 50% off... However, I'm now a bit worried that the size will be a bit for me compared with the Uptown Medium, which is the size most people have.

The Large and the Medium are both 31 cm (roughly 12.2 inches) in length, but the Large is 29.5 cm (11.6 inches) in height, which gives the bag a more squarish look compared to the Medium, which is clearly rectangular at 24 cm (9.4 inches) in height. The Large is also 1 cm deeper (17 cm for the Large vs 16 cm for the Medium), but this difference is negligible. My concern is mainly that the Large would look ridiculous when worn crossbody or on one shoulder due to the extra height and the squarish shape.

What do you guys think? I got the Large for US$1,388 and should I return it and reorder the Medium, it will cost US$1,792. I will also consider simply returning the Large and waiting for the Medium to go on sale if it doesn't suit my needs. Photos taken from farfetch.com for your easier reference.

13512599_16442141_480.jpg

13512599_16442142_480.jpg

13512593_16724328_480.jpg

13512593_16724329_480.jpg
COngrats!! where did you score her??
I am stil debtating on the small, ha!

I dont know which one is which in the images but I think both bags can be worn crossbody, easily. If you use the bag and you like it, you shouldnt care if others would think it looks weird. I think the difference is only there because you are comparing the bags right next to each other. Once you only have either of them, I think its fine! its like comparing chanel rectangular and square - side by side, I would always go for rectangle, but once I have the square on or see somebody on the street IT LOOKS SO GOOD. So why dont you try the bag crossbody with different outfits etc. and see how you feel?

WE NEED IMAGES PLEASE :smile: Also, would you do me a favour and show us if theres an imprint from the magnet, like the poster above mentioned? I was wondering if one would be able to put a cloth between the magnet and the leather at the front, so the mark wont be as bad. I assume I would use mine without the clutch a lot..

... and just a few hours later, I have also hit the BUY button! Waiting for the SMALL Uptown to arrive shortly in black! I hope its my new forever piece as a stylish work bag. I plan to always take the clutch OUT at night and when its not in use so I dont contribute to any magnetic imprint at the front. I would love to hear updates from the lady who originally started this thread! how is your bag holding up?

COngrats!! where did you score her??
I am stil debtating on the small, ha!

I dont know which one is which in the images but I think both bags can be worn crossbody, easily. If you use the bag and you like it, you shouldnt care if others would think it looks weird. I think the difference is only there because you are comparing the bags right next to each other. Once you only have either of them, I think its fine! its like comparing chanel rectangular and square - side by side, I would always go for rectangle, but once I have the square on or see somebody on the street IT LOOKS SO GOOD. So why dont you try the bag crossbody with different outfits etc. and see how you feel?

WE NEED IMAGES PLEASE :smile: Also, would you do me a favour and show us if theres an imprint from the magnet, like the poster above mentioned? I was wondering if one would be able to put a cloth between the magnet and the leather at the front, so the mark wont be as bad. I assume I would use mine without the clutch a lot..

Hi @katlina ! I got her on farfetch.com for half off, so it was a pretty good deal. And you are right, I have decided to keep her and stop thinking about the medium LOLLLL. My bag came new, with the pouch packed in a separate (non-branded) dust bag, separated from the main bag itself. As such, there's no magnetic imprint on the bag. However, the pouch did come with a styrofoam sheet under the flap, but there is still a circular imprint. I'll try to upload some photos when I get back tonight.

Hope you get your Uptown soon and that you'll love it as well!!:smile:

Hi @katlina ! I got her on farfetch.com for half off, so it was a pretty good deal. And you are right, I have decided to keep her and stop thinking about the medium LOLLLL. My bag came new, with the pouch packed in a separate (non-branded) dust bag, separated from the main bag itself. As such, there's no magnetic imprint on the bag. However, the pouch did come with a styrofoam sheet under the flap, but there is still a circular imprint. I'll try to upload some photos when I get back tonight.

Hope you get your Uptown soon and that you'll love it as well!!:smile:

hello! Im still longing for those images of yours :biggrin:

My bag is here and my, oh my, is it pretty, but SMALL. There is NO WAY the images of rosie huntington-whats her name (see page 1) are with the small bag, she must have yours, the tall LARGE one. I was a bit dissappointed at first, cos, man, its small. I exptected it to be bigger.I paid 1.100 USD, so almost half price of the current euopean retail price. Its as new (bought preloved) and came with the original dustbag as well as some other small white dustbag which - i assume - is for the clutch? Can you confirm?
My bag as the faintest of imprints from the clutch but honestly I dont mind at all. Is leather, I will try to keep it in a great condition and enjoy it. as small as it is, it fits A LOT. for test purposes, I threw in a banana, a small lunchbox, my Iphone 6 (old and thick), sunglasses and my keys lol. I stared it and wondered: how the heck does this all fit? but it did. Its obviously HEAVY, then, but still gorgeous.

Also: I noted it looked ENTIRELY different once I wear it with a coat with it - it looked a lot bigger than when worn with jeans a t-shirt, dont ask me why. (I noticed the same with my chanels, I dont know what it is.. maybe the amount of fabric in the background, I dont know).
Ill upload images tomorrow. I really wish I had a chance to score the bigger versions for less but they are nowhere on sale :sad:
have you worn yours out yet?

916E1558-18B1-4F00-B3DB-7F1B233BC09E.jpeg 92D1BC3C-97A7-43EE-A094-F8896599BC2F.jpeg 033C3D89-EB1E-4974-BF56-C8C853975BBD.jpeg Ladies, your help is required.

The bag is gorgeous and I have been using it twice already. Since I got it preloved, I am confused about some quality issues though. I am not questioning its authenticity, because it is way too luxuriou and well made for it to not be and the website I got it from is a super well known reseller with money back guarantee. But.. could those who own the bag check?

The bits where the zip reaches over the width of the bag is glued, obviously. However, on my bag, you can tell. Is that normal?

I assume its difficult to glue the leather supertightly as its so stiff. And I know ALL BAGS are glued and sewn, no matter how hogh or low the quality is. It makes sense for this to show because you can move the long zip up and down. And STILL i would like to confirm with others...

@katlina So sorry for the late reply!! Work had been crazy recently.

I’ve attached photos of the white dustbag the clutch comes in, as well as photos for the imprints (on clutch and bag) and the glue situation on the zips. It has not previously occurred to me to check the zips in fact, there are glue stains on mine too! I’m not too bothered though, especially since I got mine for a very good price.

I have yet to worn her out but I’m sure I will love her for days when I need to take my laptop and such to work.

How are you enjoying yours?:smile:

2181028D-C873-4DE2-A584-A78F347641E8.jpeg D3D2C90F-94DA-4A27-AB55-C43027BBBD8B.jpeg A09ECE3B-DBA4-4EC7-8EBC-35CABA8F05CD.jpeg 53B6675F-65E0-4873-8BA4-79CA77BD59D0.jpeg 14700D20-E530-420E-81E5-C76F391FFFA4.jpeg 47795042-2412-4868-B85F-21CDFFAF8FCA.jpeg 25CD0DFF-BCC3-46A3-AE2C-602AC708A385.jpeg

Reactions: neome
@katlina So sorry for the late reply!! Work had been crazy recently.

I’ve attached photos of the white dustbag the clutch comes in, as well as photos for the imprints (on clutch and bag) and the glue situation on the zips. It has not previously occurred to me to check the zips in fact, there are glue stains on mine too! I’m not too bothered though, especially since I got mine for a very good price.

the only difference to yours btw is that my clutch does not have the YSL sign attached with visible screws..

I have yet to worn her out but I’m sure I will love her for days when I need to take my laptop and such to work.

How are you enjoying yours?:smile:

View attachment 4483794 View attachment 4483795 View attachment 4483796 View attachment 4483797 View attachment 4483798 View attachment 4483799 View attachment 4483800

ohhh your bag is GORGEOUS! I a using mine DAILY. Love it!
I noticed tht when I wear it crossbody and the handle tucked down, the handle leaves a handle--shape on the back of the bag but I assume it can be buffed out. I love it so much, I dont care. I took on that opinion with all of my - few - luxury items. even my chanel 2.55. they are to be used, they will have signs of wear.

I absolutely adore the bag. mini is link a mini sized version of yours :smile: