Upset at an employee...need advice.

Ok, time to go home...DH sent out a company wide memo saying the bonus checks were taxed incorrectly, so we are correcting them, and he would hand them out tomorrow.

That way we can sleep on it.

I am tired and emotionally drained and bummed to be put in this position. Any more ideas, suggestions, thoughts gratefully appreciated.

I think you should just give her the bonus. She didn't actually "steal" anything. Bonuses are given based on work productivity..... so if the whole year she was aiight, i'd give her the bonus. There are just sooooo many assumptions that can be played into this situation, I would feel bad if i just axed her, not give her a bonus based on "assumptions."

I also think that packages should be kept in a locked area, not just having it accessible to anyone. It seems that it's just there in the open. Someone else could've taken it and just left it on her desk... there might be more than one employee involved that's why her answers are funny?? Too many scenarios...

I would tighten up security on packages and i would write her up w/ a final warning.

Good luck!!

did i miss how long she has worked for you? if she is not a long time employee i would give her a passable bonus so no red flags would pop up. if you and your dh are confident that she was bent on taking the package i would terminate her after the holiday with the not working out reason. i agree it looks bad on her part but no real evidence that she took it makes the not working scenario easier to deal with. if she is a longtime employee i think it might be a different story. she will surely ask what she has done and you might then have some drama to deal with. i feel for you. i hope you come up with a good solution.

Had to read this twice to get the full scope of what I think is going on.

I have to agree with Kimm992. It sound very possible that she has no idea how the box got there.

What time does she begin her work day? You said it was 8:00 when YOU saw the box sitting in her area. Is it at all possible she just got to work and really has no clue what that box was doing in her cube?

Someone could have easily picked up the box, gone thru it and decided they did not want what was inside and just put it there in her area. Maybe she's acting suspicious because she knows she now looks suspicious and just doesn't know how to explain the situation?

I don't know. I would hate for you to blame her wrongfully and she lose her bonus or worst yet - her job. Especially when there could possibly be a REAL thief in your midst.

She obviously is a good employee otherwise, you would not be giving her a $6,000 bonus.

Personally, I would let it go. This time. I would keep an eye on her though and see if she displays any signs of dishonesty that you can actually proove.

Yikes....sorry for the situation you're in twinkle. If it were me I would give her the bonus....it was based on her performance for the entire 2006 year and it's pretty much 2007...so she was a good employee for almost 12 months.
I would then begin to keep a closer eye on her.
In addition, maybe consider changing how incoming packages are handled so this doesn't happen again (just a suggestion)!

Was the 'correct' person expecting a package?

(Maybe that employee is ordering things under the other person's name?)

If it was a clear-cut case of theft, then she should be let go without a bonus.

Talk to that employee, as well as the employee the package was meant for.

I say let it go BUT let her be aware of your disappointment in her. She'll definitely feel bad and shape-up. She's obviously a good employee otherwise you wouldn't have thought of giving her a $6K bonus. Good Luck!

As an office manager, I would probably suggest her bonus be slightly reduced. Maybe even the same as last year. I would also have another talk with her. I wouldn't be satisfied until I told her again that packages should never leave the front desk area unless your name is on it. By that being found on her desk opened doesn't make her look good. Even good people make bad decisions. Maybe this was a bad one on her part and she is wishing it never happened. I probably wouldn't let her go but would definately keep an eye on her. Jersey has the same at will rule which has helped me many times. Good luck with your decision it isn't an easy one. Please keep us posted.

Had to read this twice to get the full scope of what I think is going on.

I have to agree with Kimm992. It sound very possible that she has no idea how the box got there.

What time does she begin her work day? You said it was 8:00 when YOU saw the box sitting in her area. Is it at all possible she just got to work and really has no clue what that box was doing in her cube?

Someone could have easily picked up the box, gone thru it and decided they did not want what was inside and just put it there in her area. Maybe she's acting suspicious because she knows she now looks suspicious and just doesn't know how to explain the situation?

I don't know. I would hate for you to blame her wrongfully and she lose her bonus or worst yet - her job. Especially when there could possibly be a REAL thief in your midst.

She obviously is a good employee otherwise, you would not be giving her a $6,000 bonus.

Personally, I would let it go. This time. I would keep an eye on her though and see if she displays any signs of dishonesty that you can actually proove.

I agree with this view point. I am the wife of a business owner, I am in the office about 10 hours a week. Maybe you intimidate her & caught her off guard. I know this is draining on you but morally you need to know the facts & not assumptions. We feel we have an obligation to our employees just like they have to us. Like it or not, they become part of the "business family" & depend on our guidance. My DH started his business in 1971, we could tell stories!
Talk with her, find out the whole story. We too are in an "at will" state but that does not mean your former employee won't find some slime bag attorney that will just run up legal fees.

Well, we decided not to fire her.

I am convinced she took the package, the circumstances and her reaction and responses, plus my gut reaction have convinced me. As I said, because she really can't steal anything in the office, and I think this may be a one off incident...maybe an opportunity and temptation too hard to pass up.

We decided to reduce her bonus to 2,000. After the holidays, I am going to go through her expense and mileage reports. If they look good and there no further incidents during the year, we will add 1,000 to each of her quartely bonuses.

If there are any anomalies in her expense or mileage reports, we will fire her.

I think that's fair and responsible.

Just to clarify, because some people were asking about the package and security....we have never had a package go missing in 10 years, so I do feel the present system in fine. This one was not for any one at our office...it was completly misdelivered. The intended receipent was real and came to pick up her package. That's why I think the temptatation was there for her. I think she realized it was misdelivered and figured no one would ever come looking for it.

Well, I suppose you have to do what you have to do. Personally speaking, I think that a $4,000 cut in her bonus is a little harsh when there is no solid evidence that she was actually going to steal anything.

I don't know......it seems like she's been with you long enough for you to really analyze the situation and determine whether or not it fits her character to do something like this.

Well, I suppose you have to do what you have to do. Personally speaking, I think that a $4,000 cut in her bonus is a little harsh when there is no solid evidence that she was actually going to steal anything.

I don't know......it seems like she's been with you long enough for you to really analyze the situation and determine whether or not it fits her character to do something like this.

I'm sorry Twinkle I have to agree. I also think as an employer perhaps that this should have been kept between you and your employee, If she ever found her way to this forum or someone she knows it could really come back at you and I would hate to see that happen. :sad: