Ups package goes around the world?

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I'm not sure if this is normal.

I purchased an item from the UK and it was posted via ups to Australia.

Since then it has gone to Germany, France, Philadelphia (USA) and now it's in Louisville (USA).

Should I be concerned or will it make it to Australia eventually?

2. I think I'd start making enquiries with UPS or get the seller to do so as that's definitely not normal!

3. ^agree...

4. What kind of UPS service did you use?

5. If I'm not mistaken all UPS items are routed to Kentucky. That's where their "hub" is. They then get routed to their destinations. At least this is what happens if you use UPS here in the US. Even if I send an item to the next city, which may be just 25 miles down the road it goes to their hub first, then gets routed to the nearest delivery hub.

6. thats pretty weird.
    never happened to me before

7. That might make sense. According to this article http://www.ehow.com/info_8281851_ups-air-hubs.html, UPS has many routing hubs. In particular, the European hub is located in Germany (which would explain the first hop), and the main UPS hub is in Louisville, KY. My guess is that your package will go from Kentucky to get routed back out internationally, probably by way of California, through China/Hong Kong. See http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/USA/UPS_United_Parcel_Service_asia.shtml

8. No wonder international UPS costs so much.

Your parcel gets a tour of the world prior to reaching its destination.

9. That seems a little odd to me. I don't see why it would have come to the US if UPS has a hub in Germany.....
    Somebody punched a wrong button somewhere.

10. #10 Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    Probably because UPS doesn't have any direct transit route from Germany to Asia that's particularly efficient (see below). Instead, it's more efficient for UPS to have everything come to one central location (the KY location in the US) and then redistribute from there. The KY location is all automated, from what I understand.

OP did not answer my earlier question about the type of UPS service the package was shipped. According to UPS's general estimate for international deliveries from the US, it can take as long as a week or more to deliver an international package: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/time/service/shipping/index.html When I ran a transit time calculation from London, UK to Perth Australia, the cheapest shipping option took at least 8 days.

11. Totally different experience than I've had. I use UPS frequently and have never had it go to Kentucky unless that was a logical stop along the way.

12. It was posted express saver.

The latest update shows that it has tracked to Australia but that was apparently before going to the us.

I called customer service and they didn't understand why I was concerned?!

Package Progress
    Louisville, KY, US
    09/09/2012 4:00 P.M.
    Departure Scan
    Honolulu, HI, US
    09/09/2012 9:49 A.M.
    Departure Scan
    09/09/2012 7:43 A.M.
    Arrival Scan
    Louisville, KY, US
    09/09/2012 4:54 A.M.
    Departure Scan
    09/09/2012 1:34 A.M.
    Arrival Scan
    Philadelphia, PA, US
    09/08/2012 11:48 P.M.
    Departure Scan
    Botany, AU
    09/09/2012 1:44 P.M.
    Package data processed by brokerage. Waiting for clearance. / Released by Clearing Agency. Now in-transit for delivery.
    Registered with Clearing Agency / Shipment submitted to Clearing Agency
    Registered with Clearing Agency
    09/09/2012 11:02 A.M.
    Package data processed by brokerage. Waiting for clearance.
    Philadelphia, PA, US
    09/08/2012 8:59 A.M.
    Arrival Scan
    Roissy Charles de Gaulle, FR
    09/08/2012 7:00 A.M.
    Departure Scan
    09/08/2012 5:24 A.M.
    Arrival Scan
    Koeln, DE
    09/08/2012 4:11 A.M.
    Departure Scan
    Koeln, DE
    09/07/2012 11:59 P.M.
    Arrival Scan
    Castle Donnington, GB
    09/07/2012 9:44 P.M.
    Departure Scan
    09/07/2012 8:11 P.M.
    Export Scan
    09/07/2012 6:45 P.M.
    Arrival Scan
    Sheffield, GB
    09/07/2012 6:20 P.M.
    Origin Scan
    GB
    09/07/2012 1:17 P.M.
    Order Processed: Ready for UPS

13. Holy smokes!

That's one heck of a trip.

14. I wouldn't be worried. Looks like the package is on its way to you after going through the US. According to UPS's time-to-transit calculator, https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request?loc=en_GB, you should be getting it early this week.

15. Those scans make no sense whatsoever. If it's still in the US why was it awaiting customs clearance when the US wasn't its destination? Surely it shouldn't enter customs until it reaches its destination country?

Why would it go PA - KY - HI - back to KY?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice