UPS & JCrew have me steaming mad

fabae

O.G.
Jun 10, 2006
UPS claims to have delivered my coat from J. Crew this evening by leaving it on my porch (which I think is bull to begin with. "Proof of delivery" is the driver saying he put it on my porch?!) Well, I've been waiting for the UPS guy all afternoon and was actually downstairs in my kitchen cooking dinner when they claim to have delivered the package. It's not there.

So I called J. Crew - that was a laugh. They told me to "wait the rest of the day." "What for?" I asked. "They said they delivered the package an hour and a half ago and it's not here. What are we waiting for before you 'track the package'?" No answer to that question. So, fine, I'll call them tomorrow.

Then I called UPS, pretty much knowing that it would be pointless. All he could say was "well, the driver says he delivered it to your address."

Worthless. I'm burning mad because this coat is now sold out, so I can't get another one. (That, and UPS "phantom delivered" a different package last week, too, believe it or not. Lands End, though, offered to replace it immediately and shipped the replacement free next-day air.) Sigh.

Now I guess I get to fight with J. Crew to get my money back. Does anyone have any suggestions other than what I've done? (I used my J. Crew card, unfortunately, so I can't do a charge-back I don't think.)

This happened to me before w/J. Crew (my package was 'lost' somewhere in UPS land). I called customer service asked to speak with a supervisor, explained the situation and I got a replacement within 2 days.

They filed the claim w/UPS, so I didn't have anything to worry about.

If I were you, I'd call back and ask to speak with a supervisor.

Geez what luck...is someone taking your packages? I would leave a note on your door to advise the driver NOT to leave the package.

exactly! it's that time of the year when people see packages on doorsteps and swipe them.

Instead of leaving a note, during your order process request that the packages be held for pick-up at UPS or FEDEX.

I'd be surprised to find that someone was swiping them. We have a pretty active neighborhood, neighbors around and all. Nothing's impossible, though, surely.

At the moment, I'm chalking it up to UPS incompetence. The package, according to the tracking, was supposed to be delivered yesterday but it slipped through their cracks and they labeled it "delivery rescheduled" at 9:30 p.m. after it had been "out for delivery" all day. So I think they just managed to screw it up today, too.

Wow, I'm surprised about the j crew call. I used to work for them and I would think cs would be more helpful
Good luck! Hopefully you get it tomorrow since it was rescheduled

I have the same problem with UPS, FEDex or whoever delivers anything in my area, I live in area with number streets and delivers are always going to the wrong address. I once had to tell the mailman that the 79 Avenue is one street over this is 79 Court.

I would call UPS & JCrew again and let them know you do not have the package and you are really not happy about this.

I once had Fedex pull up, I was outside waiting for my package with my children playing, and he went in the back of the truck and he realized that he delivered my package to a neighbor and he says I will be right back and NEVER returned. I called Fedex an hour later only to find out the driver was already gone, but I did find out what house it went to, I went over and picked up my package.

Now I guess I get to fight with J. Crew to get my money back. Does anyone have any suggestions other than what I've done? (I used my J. Crew card, unfortunately, so I can't do a charge-back I don't think.)

I cant imagine that you cant get a charge back when you use your J Crew Card. You never got the merchandise, and UPS didnt get your signature.

This should be a slam dunk with any credit company and it should be JCrew's headache to get the money back from UPS.

Unfortunately that doesnt get you a new coat but it should take care of the money issue.

Instead of leaving a note, during your order process request that the packages be held for pick-up at UPS or FEDEX.
I had to do this for all of the delivery companies in my area. I called and asked to speak to a supervisor and requested that no packages are left on my front steps. It's a very dangerous practice esp. during this time of the year! Since I called I haven't had any problems with the carriers leaving slips for pickup even when I don't pay for signature confirmation.

I tried to make it very clear to the Supervisor's that there is a very likely chance that my things will be stolen if they are left on my front steps...

Well, J.Crew said it was "very likely" that they'd find the package, which sounds like an out-and-out lie to me. It was delivered SOMEWHERE, but not my house, and the driver is supposed to remember (or admit that he mis-delivered)? Uuuuuh...

The coat is now sold out. J. Crew said they'd look for another one (in a store maybe?) and if they couldn't find one, they'd refund the money. Well, that was the solution after she tried to sell me 4 different coats. So, I think I'll get my money back, but I'm SOL in regard to the coat I wanted. Oh well.

I thought I'd update this because I found out something interesting last week:
The UPS guy (well, I should say, ANOTHER UPS guy; I've spoken to several now) called me last week and told me that they know I didn't get the package because they have GPS tracking and can tell that the driver delivered my package to a house in the next block over. He told me that he was going to send the driver over to the house to ask for the package. ("Yeah, right", I said. "Like they would admit to keeping a package that clearly wasn't theirs." He said, "You'd be surprised.")

I don't know what happened with that yet, but they did send someone to my house so I could sign a paper saying that, no, I didn't receive the package. (Why? I mean, they already KNOW they didn't deliver it to me.)

In any case, I still haven't been refunded, but it was new info to me that they have GPS info on exactly WHERE the package was delivered.

I thought I'd update this because I found out something interesting last week:
The UPS guy (well, I should say, ANOTHER UPS guy; I've spoken to several now) called me last week and told me that they know I didn't get the package because they have GPS tracking and can tell that the driver delivered my package to a house in the next block over. He told me that he was going to send the driver over to the house to ask for the package. ("Yeah, right", I said. "Like they would admit to keeping a package that clearly wasn't theirs." He said, "You'd be surprised.")

I don't know what happened with that yet, but they did send someone to my house so I could sign a paper saying that, no, I didn't receive the package. (Why? I mean, they already KNOW they didn't deliver it to me.)

In any case, I still haven't been refunded, but it was new info to me that they have GPS info on exactly WHERE the package was delivered.

Lol, you would think if the person was a block down they would just deliver the package to you... not wait for some UPS guy to randomly pop and be like.. "So.. hey.. about that package..." and heck... who know what that package might be... lol.. and I thought GPS tracking was only accurate to a certain square mile/foot-radius...

That happened to me. Jcrew had a glitch in their system over the holiday and my order was placed with an old address. UPS delivered the package to an old address so it showed delivered. Obviously I never got the merchandise. Jcrew opened a claim with UPS and I was refunded, but it took a long time for UPS to investigate. Needless to say, some of the stuff I ordered was sold out so I didn't get 100% replacements. I also had to order again in the meantime because Jcrew refused to refund and wouldn't send out the replacement order until UPS had finished investigating. I eventually did a chargeback with my credit card company which worked a lot faster than the alleged "investigation" took. It was pretty annoying to say the least.

Lol, you would think if the person was a block down they would just deliver the package to you... not wait for some UPS guy to randomly pop and be like.. "So.. hey.. about that package..." and heck... who know what that package might be... lol.. and I thought GPS tracking was only accurate to a certain square mile/foot-radius...

Well, the thing that gets me is that the people obviously just took - well, stole - it. I've had mail delivered to me erroneously. It's not that hard to walk down the block and drop it off. I consider it to be my good deed for the day. I would imagine that most people would flat-out lie if they'd kept the package and a UPS guy showed up to ask about it. I mean, can you imagine them saying, "Well, it wasn't my name or address and I didn't order anything, but I opened it anyway." :confused1: At least call UPS and tell them to come get it if you're too lazy to deliver it yourself. I think it's just a person of very poor character. And UPS is just a PITA.