Uplifting Animal Stories ONLY!

This one is from a newsletter I received from AKC, it's really more information on the dog and what the dog did to get the recognition he/she so deserved. So I'm not sure if this counts ...

Service Dog: Aspen

Labrador Retriever
Owner: xxxxxx , Oklahoma

Aspen, an 11 year old yellow Labrador Retriever, has been xxxxxx's constant partner since puppyhood. XXXXX, suffering from Cerebral Palsy, chronic pain and seizures, purchased Aspen with the intention of training her as a service dog. At 6 months of age, she revealed that she was able to predict Katherine's seizures up to 30 minutes in advance, thus enabling Katherine to regain control of her life.

Working as a team, Katherine and Aspen have set no boundaries. Katherine is a Public Fire & Life Safety Educator, teaching safety and rescue procedures to rescuers and fire departments. The team provides demos for rope and water rescues, teaching valuable lessons to rookies and seasoned firefighters alike. "Aspen helped me realize that my disability doesn't define me. I define myself by my abilities," says XXXXXX.

In 2000 Aspen won the Delta Society Beyond Limits Award as Central Region Service Dog of the Year. Aspen's achievements have inspired XXXXXX to share her training methods with countless others, including 130 veterinary referrals. XXXXX has decided to start a service dog training center in Enid, Oklahoma, which she hopes will train and match service dogs with disabled children ages 10-18.

At 11 years of age, Aspen has lost her vision, but not her trust in XXXX. Just as Aspen adjusted to her owner's disabilities, Katherine now works to ensure that Aspen maintains the same quality of life. The bond of trust they share is indestructible and gets them through the trials they face each and every day.

Another one from the AKC newsletter:

Law Enforcement Dog: Rex

German Shepherd Dog
Owner: xxxx of Colorado Springs, Colorado

Rex is a retired military working dog. With his partner Tech Sgt xxxx, Rex served in the United States Air Force as a bomb detection dog. The pair worked for three years on assignments in the US and abroad before xxxx volunteered for a tour of duty in Iraq.

Months passed and Rex saved countless lives by detecting bombs planted by insurgents. One day on the way back to base, Rex and xxxx's humvee was hit by a roadside bomb. It was demolished by the sudden blast and XXXX suffered life threatening injuries. Barely clinging to life, she was rushed to a field hospital. When she asked about Rex, she was told that he did not survive the blast. Little did she know, the faithful canine had been thrown clear of the wreckage and narrowly escaped with only minor injuries. Soon afterwards, it became apparent that the insurgents real target had been Rex.

Rex was sent to Walter Reed Hospital to comfort xxxx as she recovered. She asked if she could adopt Rex, knowing that they would soon be separated by Rex's obligations as a military working dog. The Air Force declined her request because Rex still had another 5 years to work. As a result of this devastating news, xxxx's family and friends went to Congress and successfully urged them to pass legislation that would allow XXXX to take Rex home. Passage of Sec. 599 of Public Law 109-163 now allows handlers who wish to adopt their dogs to do the same.

Yet another one from AKC newsletter.

Search and Rescue Dog: Morgan

English Springer Spaniel
Owner: xxxxx of Lebanon, New Jersey

Morgan is a certified wilderness air scent, water and cadaver search dog through West Jersey K-9 Search and Rescue Specialty Search Associates. She is also a therapy dog with Bright and Beautiful Therapy Dogs. Morgan and Katrene Johnson have participated in more than 50 searches nationwide and in each case, Morgan's combined talents have provided assistance to victims and relief workers alike.

In September 2001, Morgan and xxxxx were called upon to search for DNA material at Staten Island's Fresh Kills Land Fill, the site where the debris from Ground Zero was deposited. Morgan's contribution helped to give numerous families the answers they sought. During breaks, workers were often comforted by Morgan.

Then in 2005, Morgan was instrumental in the relief efforts of another catastrophe. She was called upon by Hancock County, Mississippi officials to help them track down their missing citizens after the devastating effects of Hurricane Katrina. Morgan and the other SAR dogs were responsible for clearing neighborhoods before residents returned to survey the damage to their homes. Out in the field, each dog/handler team headed to their assignment. Morgan searched the wreckage out of earshot of the other teams. It was almost silent � all the birds and almost all the insects had been driven or washed away by the storm.

Morgan used her talented nose to assist the search and rescue teams in dutifully locating all missing citizens of Hancock County. As evacuees returned to areas that were cleared by the teams, Morgan was once again called upon to offer comfort.

Some more from AKC Newsletter:

Exemplary Companion Dog: K.D.

Golden Retriever
Owner: xxxx of Carlisle, PA

K.D. is a six-year-old Golden Retriever described as "the canine half of an extraordinary agility team". She and xxxxx have excelled in a sport that is said to require agility and speed, not only in the dog, but in the handler as well. xxx, affected by cerebral palsy and limited mobility, has proved that you can accomplish anything you set your mind to. Together, he and K.D. have earned Master Excellent and Agility Excellent Jumper titles.

As a team, they have overcome challenges by focusing on what they CAN do and are an inspiration to many. Watching xxxx direct K.D. through a complicated course, it appears to bystanders as if K.D. is actually reading xxxx's mind. xxxx has trained K.D. to respond to cues from as far as the opposite side of the ring. His success with K.D. has motivated xxxxx to become an agility instructor, specializing in teaching distance handling skills.

Outside the agility ring K.D. transforms into a gentle, quiet dog that walks politely on lead. The team has qualifying scores in Novice Obedience and Novice Rally. K.D. is also a registered therapy dog with Therapy Dog, Inc. xxxx and K.D. are active in their local dog club and together they visit nursing homes, schools, and give training demonstrations at community events.

Last one from AKC newsletter:

Therapy Dog: Abby

Chihuahua
Owner: xxxxx of La Porte, Indiana

Abby has logged countless volunteer hours as a Registered Pet Partner with the Delta Society. The staff at La Porte Hospital has welcomed Abby and owner xxxxx for years. Abby is consistently praised by staff for the difference they see in patients after her visits. She seems to know just how to respond to each person and has a calming effect on patients who may be experiencing pain, loneliness or depression. In many cases, she elicits the first response from them all day.

Abby and xxxxx have had such an impact during their visits that they received a special request to travel to Indianapolis and visit a young girl at St. Vincent Children's Specialty Hospital. The young girl was badly injured in a house fire where she lost two siblings and the girl's family felt she would benefit from a visit with Abby to assist in her recovery. Upon their return from the visit, Abby and xxxx were invited to visit six classes at the young girl's elementary school to help classmates cope with what had happened.

Abby participates in numerous community programs, and is a great ambassador for pet therapy. She volunteers for the LIL' FISH program, which involves visiting all the elementary schools in her area to teach children about health and safety. Each year she joins the 2 BigHearts 5K Run/Walk and attends the Tour de La Porte, a cancer fundraiser. The Whirlpool Foundation even offers an annual scholarship in Abby's name for her work in hospice.

I'd been wanting a dog for a very long time but I was either very sick or pregnant. I also didn't want to rush into it. So I decided to start working with a local animal sanctuary, donating food, supplies and fostering animals. I was fortunate enough to meet my little girl, Izzy. She was abandoned by her previous owners and I can't even imagine how badly they hit her because she would shake if anyone talked too loud and hide. The animal sanctuary had a VERY hard time finding a home for her because black, large dogs are the hardest to adopt out. This is her petfinder page: Petfinder PetNotes

After a few months, we just couldn't give her up and we adopted her. She is especially close with me and has really grown into a lovely little gal. I worked with her on behavior and she's very well trained now. My favorite thing is she moans & barks when I say, "Hey little pirate, where'd you get the booty?"
123205516.jpg

Not sure how uplifting this is but I think its so damn cute. My Pup Lilly..(she is in the pic in my pink lv) she is 6 months old and we have had her for 3 months...2 of which I was not home...(at fitness camp) ...well I just got home a few days ago and she is still carrying around her favorite toy...carries it with her from room to room, sleeps with it ..its always with her...like a babies blanky...its one of my hair ties...how cute is that. :nuts: Mommy was with her even when I was not home...