Upgrade My Makeup Brushes

lvuittonaddict

$ Doesn't Buy Class
O.G.
Sep 23, 2007
So, I am thinking of upgrading my makeup brush collection. For the most part, my brushes consist of MAC. I have a few randoms- Dior stragglers, Makeup forever, and some cheap-y ones.

Lately I have been lusting over Chanel brushes and I was wondering if they are worth the upgrade. To be honest, I used to wear makeup EVERYDAY. I wouldn't leave the house without it. Now a days, I wear makeup far less often- i mainly do my eyes.

is it worth it for me to upgrade to $50-$70/brush if i don't wear make up as often?

I am really just looking to upgrade most of my beauty tools- i have also been lusting after the ghd eclipse flat iron too. lol

I have the concealer, foundation, blush and powder brushes. I like the foundation and concealer brushes. The powder and blush brushes seem to leave behind tiny bristles on my skin and feel rough. Not a lot of bristles but just enough to be annoying. I like my Sigma brushes a lot more then the Chanel.

My set of Chanel brushes was bought on the recommendation of a friend at least 8 or 10 years ago, they look and behave much as the day I first got them. They don't get much use but aren't looked after either, an occasional wash with hypoallergenic shampoo and they live in their yummy little Chanel bags.

At the time I thought them quite pricey but I'd been to art college, was used to spending a lot of time with a brush in my hand and to expect a tool to behave in a predictable manner. Chanel brushes were far better than any other make up brushes I'd used and I still love playing with them.

Since getting my set I've been out of the market so there may be some new and better products available but I'm still thrilled with my set and have no need to look further.

Also I have a small travel set and find the shorter handles mostly easier to use. Perhaps try a small brush first to see if you like the feel.

Last edited:
I had the same problem as surf chick, one or two little black bristles always left on my face. I found the same problem with a number of different brushes not just Chanel-drove me crazy! The brushes I have been happiest with are the ones I got at Sephora. No stray bristles and they have held up great. Tossed the rest!

I am a fan of Hakuhodo & Chikuhodo brushes. They are pricey but worth every hair
in the brush. LOL..

There are several you tube videos about them & you might want to have a look.

When I started buying them, I only bought what I really needed & then did fill ins..

I am a fan of Hakuhodo & Chikuhodo brushes. They are pricey but worth every hair
in the brush. LOL..

There are several you tube videos about them & you might want to have a look.

When I started buying them, I only bought what I really needed & then did fill ins..

Hakuhodo's quality is very good. No shedding even after 1 year daily use. Squirrel hair ones are devine

Tom ford is one of the best hands down. I'm dying for a set which I hope to accomplish by Xmas time. Check out beauty look book for reviews. Sephora pro brushes are good bang for their buck. I prefer them to most of my brush which is a smorgasbord of Laura mercier, Nars, and make up forever. If you're going to spend the money I would bypass Chanel and do tom ford but that's just my .02

Forget Western brands! Upgrade to the Japanese brands. Chikuhodo is now on beautylish an vastly superior. Hakuhodo and Koyudo are far cheaper than Chikuhodo and as good. Don't waste your money on Chanel for an inferior product.

I recommend the blog Sweetmakeuptemptations. It's all about brushes. She has had them all and any brush fanatic will tell you to go for Japanese brushes. Save your money please!

OMFG.... i just checked out chikuhodo... $500+ for some of their brushes?!?! :faint:

There are some very informative you tube videos on Chikuhodo brushes.

It is not necessary to spend $500.... you can mix in Tom Ford & others.

I did alot of research before I dived in & only bought what I thought

would be the most serviceable for me.

If you wear powder & blush the Chikuhodo get rave reviews as well as TF

Try looking at sweetmakeuptemptations for her brush reviews... will warn

you she is fixated on Japanese brushes & has an abundance of brushes

OMFG.... i just checked out chikuhodo... $500+ for some of their brushes?!?! :faint:

It depends on the hair. They have a $200 goat hair set. Same with hakuhodo. They also have a cheek brush that is $60 and superb gray squirrel hair. I suggest collecting what you need. For instance, eye brushes are best as goat hair. I find it a waste to spend on grey squirrel.

I would not get Chanel brushes. I have a few and they are underwhelming with the exception of one (I think it's no. 24) that is a tiny brush head great for smudging out eyeliner.

LOVE my Tom Ford brushes. Also really use and like my Real Techniques for anything requiring synthetics (ditto the flat top Sonia Kashuk); Armani's foundation blending brush and the flat top Shiseido are great and don't cost the bomb.

I am also a fan of Claudio Riaz and have nearly a full set, though I know others have given them negative reviews. I've never had an issue.

I would not get Chanel brushes. I have a few and they are underwhelming with the exception of one (I think it's no. 24) that is a tiny brush head great for smudging out eyeliner.

LOVE my Tom Ford brushes. Also really use and like my Real Techniques for anything requiring synthetics (ditto the flat top Sonia Kashuk); Armani's foundation blending brush and the flat top Shiseido are great and don't cost the bomb.

I am also a fan of Claudio Riaz and have nearly a full set, though I know others have given them negative reviews. I've never had an issue.

If you don't mind:smile:, out of curiousity which Tom Ford brushes do you have?

I only have the foundation brush for liquid foundation but am interested
in others so would appreciate your thoughts