Upgrade Ering or Other fab purchase?

sjunky13

Dreaming............
O.G.
Dec 17, 2006
Ok. I have the choice to upgrade my stone. I currently have a J 1.15 VS2, GIA XXX

We found an 1.50 I SI1, GIA XXX. Perfectly eye clean. Faces up very white and higher than an I and the fire is amazing!!!!

I was going to get myself a Birkin or a Kelly or another piece of statement jewelry. VCA ring or earrrings. Cartier ring.

My e ring is set in a micropave fishtail. The new setting will be a 6 prong tiffany style, as I have fallen in love with plain rings. I want to stack bands, so my halo idea is out.

What to do???

hum....to be honest, I would probably just reset my ring into a six prong setting and save the money for an upgrade later on, because you know that from 1.5 you'll want to go to 2 ct in no time...

hum....to be honest, I would probably just reset my ring into a six prong setting and save the money for an upgrade later on, because you know that from 1.5 you'll want to go to 2 ct in no time...

This is so true. But where I am buying, I can upgrade again, as long as it is 2 times the price. So maybe in 3 years I can get a 2 carat.
^is that true? Is that a size you'll be wanting to upgrade?

Yes I will probally want a 2, I guess. If I stay here on the jewelry forum yes!:graucho:

My thinking is I have VCA, Cartier, tons of Chanel bags. Lots of RH rings But my E ring was not the center of attention. I spent more on VCA on 2011 than my e ring is worth and I feel that is bad in some way.

My other jewelry is worth more than my e ring and I feel guilty or think this is wrong somehow. IDK! Help. LOL

I spent sooo much on VCA, Cartier and Chanel bags and just got a Fendi bag too, that my E Ring looks horrible and I should be redoing that and not buying bags and other jewelry.

Hey there!!

I think you should upgrade, and upgrade as big as you can afford. The one thing I've noticed is that the more "smaller" items I buy, the less time you have to wear each one... Like you I've added so many things to my collection these last 3 years and yet the one and only thing I wear and admire EVERY DAY is the e-ring!! Even the LOVE is annoying in that when it's on I'm limited to what else I can wear on that hand (I don't want to wear YG LOVE with my gorgeous WG/TURQ VCA for example)... which is why I've found myself on that very slippery upgrade slope now! :smile: But in terms of wear-per-dollar, there is no doubt to me that the e-ring is the place to put the money. Or something that you'd wear every day like a watch etc.

I'm not a bag person per se so my vote would ALWAYS be jewelry. Especially bags upwards of $6,000... I just don't get it! (if money is an object that is, which I feel like you're in kind of the same boat as I am there? not a zillionaire anyway!) If I had to choose I'd always choose diamonds. All I can think is what if you spilled red wine or scratched that Birkin beyond repair? I can't not think that about items that expensive! They are classics to be sure and will always be in style... I just think diamonds are a better buy. :smile:

Upgrade and do either with the specific plan of doubling it down the road (knowing you can afford that one day) OR go as big as you can possibly go and be done now. I'm on my last official shot at this upgrade thing and the "budget" is getting bigger every day in my head! gah. Have to sell some things on ebay soon!! haha... like bags!

But I DO think your ring is pretty for the record!! :smile:

LOL - I don't think I'd have upgraded even once (or bought VCA, or a million things I've bought lately!) if I hadn't been on this forum!!! :smile: It's enabling paradise - but more than that gives you ideas!! I didn't even LIKE the LOVE until I came here! LOL... it is fun though!

Hey there!!

I think you should upgrade. The one thing I've noticed is that the more "smaller" items I buy, the less time you have to wear each one... I've added so many things to my collection these last 3 years and yet the one and only thing I wear and admire EVERY DAY is the e-ring... which is why I've found myself on that very slippery upgrade slope now! :smile: But in terms of wear-per-dollar, there is no doubt to me that the e-ring is the place to put the money. Or something that you'd wear every day like a watch etc.

I'm not a bag person per se so my vote would ALWAYS be jewelry. Especially bags upwards of $6,000... I just don't get it! (if money is an object that is, which I feel like you're in kind of the same boat as I am there? not a zillionaire anyway!) If I had to choose I'd always choose diamonds. All I can think is what if you spilled red wine or scratched that Birkin beyond repair? I can't not think that about items that expensive! They are classics to be sure and will always be in style... I just think diamonds are a better buy. :smile:

LOL - I don't think I'd have upgraded even once (or bought VCA, or a million things I've bought lately!) if I hadn't been on this forum!!! :smile: It's enabling paradise - but more than that gives you ideas!! I didn't even LIKE the LOVE until I came here! LOL... it is fun though!

Hi Jen! Sooo true. I recently have the funds and was thinking " Ok, buy the new Cartier love ring with diamond or a diamond trinity". Then there is the watch I want.
The VCA stuff was so expensive and much much more than my E Ring. That feels weird, lol.
This stone is a great buy, even though it is an SI1, it is perfectly eye clean and looks good. I know 1.5 is not big. Well it is! But after seeing the rings here, you think it is a chip and that is insane and not reality at all!
I do think I will be happy with the 1.5 size and should feel lucky I am able to have that.
As for the Birkin or other jewelry. I could sell bags I have never used, sitting in my closet. I have many of them!

Thanks for the imput everyone.
Now the question is how soon will I want a 2 carat? OY!

How about waiting until you can get the 2 CT?

I could do the 2 carat now, but it would dip into savings.
I could make that up bu selling unwanted things and then saving etc.
I guess I am confused again. OY.

I think I have e ring add. I was just looking at halo's. I am nuts I think, I can't make up my mind at all.
If I was so sure, I would not of posted this thread.

I honestly think if you don't find 1.5ct big enough to end with you need to wait til you can get closer to the 2ct you want.

So how much of a dip into savings are we talking about? $500 out of say $5000 in savings? fine. $2500 out of $5000 in savings? No.

What do you own that isn't used anymore that you can sell/consign and recoup some costs.