Unusual sticker marking

shinymagpie

vintage bag lady
Mar 29, 2008
Hi
I just saw a bag in a shop today. The model looked ok, I have seen it in magazines but for the first time live today. The bag looked ok, the stitching looked ok. The zipper was a DMC. It was a series 5 bag.

But!!!! The seal, which was in the bottom corner appeared to have the chanelchanelchanel word on the left side of the numbers and the colored stripe on the right side. It had glitter and scoring. I was a bit confused by this. I thought the chanelchanelchanel was always on the right of the number and the colored stripe was on the left. The card looked ok and had no reflection problems (ie gold reflection only). Card and sticker were a perfect match.

Can someone tell me whether or not I am going crazy here! Or whether I have seen a very sophisticated fake, or a real bag with a fake serial number and card. I couldn't take a picture because of the shop atmosphere. I did buy another item at the shop which was perfect!

I know with no photos it is a long shot but if anyone has a 516#### bag, can you please check your sticker design.

Thanks

BTW, are you sure the serial number started with 51xxxxx? The newer format stickers - with the chanelchanelchanel - weren't introduced until the 59xxxxx series.

The 51xxxxx series should come with the older format hologram sticker.

My guess is that the clear outter sticker was wrongly placed on the white serial sticker.

Aha. That could be it. Also, your second email explains something too. It could have been 5916xxx because there was at least one 9 in the number possibly 2. I didn't write it down either, just going from memory.

If it was a new style of sticker, it is entirely possible that someone stuck it on incorrectly. Mistakes can happen! I remember thinking that I had to turn the bag around to read the number correctly, then the chanelchanelchanel appeared to be on the wrong side. Maybe the person stuck the number on backwards, then decided to put the covering seal the right way around...

Alex, that's a fake hologram sticker...

Ohh. Bad example to pick eh! Sorry, I just found the first example photo with an upside down top layer and plugged it in. Was offline all day, so I didn't see that you had already given the thumbs down to that particular sticker.

I'm still contemplating the bag that I saw in a shop the other day, because everything else looked so good.

Got one! For those of you who are sticklers for detail. The 2 layer authenticity stickers can sometime be placed upside down. Having the words ChanelChanel on the left of the number instead of the right (where it normally is) does not automatically equal a fake. See below... borrowed from the authenticate this chanel link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothoprter
It's odd because normally the CHANELCHANELCHANEL on the outter clear sticker is to the right of the numbers. Otherwise the sticker looks absolutely correct, so I'm sure it was just misplaced at the factory.

The bag is authentic.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 889x710.http://forum.purseblog.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=852757&d=1249978185

That's good to know, Alex. Glad to hear my guess was right then!

But I wasn't right about the introduction of the newer format stickers, though. I somehow got it into my head that late 5 series = 59xxxxx and forward?
Don't ask me why, 'cause I even got pictures stored on my computer of newer format stickers starting with 58xxxxx..... :thinking:

Sorry for the confusion *smacks forehead*

That's good to know, Alex. Glad to hear my guess was right then!

But I wasn't right about the introduction of the newer format stickers, though. I somehow got it into my head that late 5 series = 59xxxxx and forward?
Don't ask me why, 'cause I even got pictures stored on my computer of newer format stickers starting with 58xxxxx..... :thinking:

Sorry for the confusion *smacks forehead*

Thanks for your humble clarification! (hope you didn't smack yourself hard...)

I think of all of this as a forensic work in progress really. Lots of tiny details that gradually reveal.