Unrest in PARIS???

I have been to Paris 3 times – twice I met with crime: once I was pickpocketed in the Metro, and the other time 2 men and 1 women tried to pretend they were the police and wanted to push my husband and I into a doorway. This was by the Seine on a Sunday morning. We were staying just off George V, so it wasn't as though it was a bad part of town. I have been to all 7 continents on earth and lived in a few cities, and the only place I have ever encountered crime was Paris. I would never take my Hermes overseas, especially not Paris. If you are Asian (people keep thinking we are Japanese, but we would never pass for Japanese in Asia), you are automatically a target already.

tourists are prime targets in Paris (and also many other cities). If you look asian or nothern european and maybe wear touristy stuff (not saying you did this roxane. =) ) like a bum bag, big backpack, etc you'll be a target. It's better to blend in and not go where the biggest crowds are.

I have been to Paris 3 times – twice I met with crime: once I was pickpocketed in the Metro, and the other time 2 men and 1 women tried to pretend they were the police and wanted to push my husband and I into a doorway. This was by the Seine on a Sunday morning. We were staying just off George V, so it wasn't as though it was a bad part of town. I have been to all 7 continents on earth and lived in a few cities, and the only place I have ever encountered crime was Paris. I would never take my Hermes overseas, especially not Paris. If you are Asian (people keep thinking we are Japanese, but we would never pass for Japanese in Asia), you are automatically a target already.

When I travel, I manage myself, to never look like a tourist ( I'm not telling you that you did it ), I wear the same clothes than in my everyday "routine", I walk quickly, and when I want to sit down, I go to a restaurant or to a café in a resputable disctrict, I never sit down in the streets, and if I feel myself followed by somebody, I go in a store and ask to call the police.

i'd never decide not to wear something because i was overseas, that's just absurd to me. plenty of places are overseas and much safer than london, where i live. i would consider where i'm going though, usually i figure that if the locals wear it without trouble then i can too.

Was in Paris last week during transit strike...no worries...but yes, traffic jams...had no problem locating taxi in mid/late evening...was able to take metro on final day...

Birkin and Kelly bags galore on streets near George V and FSH...reminded me of Madison Ave wildlife sightings in NYC with slight difference in Kelly to Birkin ratios...lol...

If your grail is a Kelly, you are likely to have many to choose from...

i agree with you gals, whenever i travel, i worry about theft... its just the paranoid of me speaking though i wonder wat happens to the locals, are they faced with thefts too?

i for sure will stand out like a sore looking like a tourist cos im asian & i doubt i can dress like the local parisians, chi chi & all...

i admit the only reason im taking my hermes bag to paris is because i wanna take it to the store with me & my DH thinks i should carry my hermes since we are going to PARIS where everyone dresses up...

its still a major decision for me as I treasure my bags - i really wldnt want to attract theft & ruin my entire hols...

thanks gals for ur input - i really appreciate them alot. :biggrin:

There are problems in all cities,,,, so please just be streetwise, and go and enjoy Paris the most fantastic city.

London is full of bombers, is this going to stop me getting on with my life, No
that would mean they win,

Just be smart and streetwise, follow the general rules of city living - blend in, don't get drawn into any conversations with complete unknowns in quiet places or dark streets, don't flash cash or valubles, and hopefully you will be quite safe.

I am a Londoner living in central Paris now for 6 years. Please don't concern yourself about the rioting in the towns outside the northern suburbs of Paris - these are isolated, serious and sad events that unfortunately are connected to the problem areas of the banlieue. That said obviously not all Parisian suburbs are dodgy, only some and as a tourist it is highly unlikely that you'd find yourself travelling over that way.

London is not "full of bombers" either. Its almost like saying New York City was full of bombers after 9/11!

Both Paris and London have issues with crime - they are large cities with equally large populations - but I would not let that prevent you from travelling and having an enjoyable time. The only thing I will advise you to be wary of in Paris rather than London is pickpockets - same goes for travelling in Italy - just be extra careful with your personal possessions particularly if in crowded places like train stations, or taxi queues at train stations!

Regarding the strikes, industrial action is threatened to restart in 5 Dec - it all depends on how the negotiations go. Travelling on the metro is pretty hellish or impossible at that time and there can be lengthly queues for taxis (2 hours for me on a Saturday night at gare du Nord). However, Paris is a city that can be enjoyed by foot. Hopefully you'll be centrally located and the weather bright and fine so you can flit from one shopping area to another by foot. Oh yes, one more thing the Parisians drive like maniacs so please take extra care when crossing the road!

I was missed that edgeware road tube by ten minutes! it could have been me.

And I am not alone in being v streetwise with regards to travelling on the tube, bus etc in London, lots of people get nervous , I did not mean literally! but there is still, high risk in London due to the madness of Blair and Bush.

Remember the Brixton Riots, Southall riots, all down to ethnic minorities so disadvantaged as are the Algerians.

Try Paddington for Pick pockets, and the charity shops in Knightsbridge, they even mug you in there.

As all large cities and the countryside is not devoid .

Please dont take my words so literally.