Unpopular Celine Opinions

Maybe I’m too old but tbh I think the blackpink association cheapens every brand. They are a girl group for teenagers (at least for me) they fit more into a Nike or asos collab.

Obviously I’m wrong and it makes megabucks and I’m not that au fait with who these people are to the Asian markets.

But… it’s just so generic when I saw them all standing there with each wearing a different brand logo I just felt like creativity was dead and the designers were admitting it’s the same generic stuff with different names on it.

At least if we’d gotten a spice girls x Celine project it would’ve been nuts.
I’m totally with you here - and for me, it’s both a function of age and mentality.

I think there’s something about luxury that should entail a certain level of understatedness, i.e. you know it if you know it. Gifting bags to influencers and celebrities smacks of desperation to me, and isn’t something I would expect of old school luxury. That is also why the entire execution smacks of cheapness and lack of creativity. Contrast just putting the brand on one of these girls to Old Celine’s campaign with the late Joan Didion.

But like you said, we’re probably not the appropriate target audience for these marketing devices. It’s precisely the girls in the 17-25 age group - the largest age demographic of their fanbase - that these brands are trying to cultivate as future, if not current, consumers.

I heard a while ago that LVMH invests money and is a shareholder of YG entertainment, the company that produces Blackpink. So the brand endorsements for the members of Blackpink make a lot of sense. You can basically produce your own celebrities to sell your products.

It is amazing seeing Blackpink's selling power in Asia. Celine has made a lot of money in China, South Korea, Southeast Asia using Lisa and other celebrities to sell products
Haven‘t researched Celine stuff for a long time as I am not a of the new design, so this info is totally new to me.

So they basically did similar to MCM which was totally done in Germany, but then was revamped for the Korean/Asian market after being bought buy as I remember a Korean investor… However in Asian markets, the younger population are more willing to spend for luxury products, e.g. in Germany people start later to buy into luxury, usually after 30-35… Except if you are rich anyway…

Btw. I also can‘t understand why luxury brands started gifting so many things to influencer and stars. Totally cheapens their brand for me, too.

Reactions: poleneceline
The "shiny" Triomphe bags are not good quality. I purchased the shiny bronze this year, and first of all, I felt like the leather is not actually leather. I even emailed the company to ask the composition of the bag. In addition, the seams were really sloppy. I ended up returning for my SECOND box (Camel this time).

• Wow
Reactions: Hine
The "shiny" Triomphe bags are not good quality. I purchased the shiny bronze this year, and first of all, I felt like the leather is not actually leather. I even emailed the company to ask the composition of the bag. In addition, the seams were really sloppy. I ended up returning for my SECOND box (Camel this time).

I was actually wondering about this. I only see the bag from outside the store window but it seems plasticky?

I really love it though but it's too expensive for me right now.

I just got a large Celine trapeze bag and while it’s an interesting look, I have to admit, it’s not very practical for such a huge bag. The main issues are that if you put more than a small amount in it it puts all the pressure on the lock area and pulls the leather. So it’s always got a saggy misshapen form. It’s never going to hold up well which is why so many look very worn with moderate use. Plus it’s very heavy and the suede wings are impossible to keep clean. I also like it better with the wings in and they take up all the space in the interior. Lastly, because the base on all the sizes are so wide it doesn’t sit well on the body. I Dont have any issues with the fiddly lock or zipper that others have. For $350 I can play for a while but it’s honestly not worth more because it’s so impractical. I was looking at the other models too but the box bag is too small, the edge only has a shoulder strap and has a wide base and the luggage tote is too heavy with only a top handle. The mini is cute but too much $ for a bag that is past its prime. I can’t help but wonder if I’m just falling prey to the Celine hype.

Reactions: Bagatha Christie
Truthfully I am outside the Blackpink demographic but I got into Celine because of Lisa and seeing her use the triomphe made me intrigued about Celine. Fast forward a few months and I now own THREE Celine bags but none of them are the triomphe (despite it being the one that started it all for me); the current price is too high despite me loving the design and shiny calfskin look - unpopular opinion?

However the more I looked into Celine brand the more I fell for their vintage designs - also unpopular opinion??

Currently I have their bags with the circle clasp, the horse carriage clasp and the padlock motif clasp. I do love their vintage designs but I’ve found that they’re not very popular on the forum so maybe that’s the third unpopular opinion I have!

Last edited:
Reactions: poleneceline
I really love both old and new Celine for different reasons. Old Celine mainly made big, heavy, luxurious workhorses that are timeless, with chic architectural vibes and best suited for professional ladies or for women who just like big bags with minimal branding. New Celine is smaller , rounder silhouettes, more youthful and more current and I love the triomphe hardware detail. If the new and old models were introduced at the time of the other by the other creators , they would both have done well the same way they are now. That’s the timeless beauty of Celine. I’m a big believer in buying preloved for environmental and animal preservation reasons so I always go that route when possible. In that regard , Celine bags both old and new styles will stand the test of time. It would be great if they sold a triomphe as a toggle to hang on my old Celine styles. That’s basically all phoebe philo styles need to bring them into the hedi era. Someone please ask Hedi to make them! 😀

Reactions: jayjay77
I don’t like the triomphe bag at all. I prefer the aesthetics of the classic box design, but I never bought the bag, because it’s too weighty for me. I don’t like heavy bags at all. I also don’t like the strap adjuster.

The only Celine bag I like enough to own is the nano belt. The design/silhouette is original, it’s lightweight, and can be carried crossbody.