Unmotivated at work

mishiechau

FashionableLibrarian
Dec 9, 2007
...you could say morale is at an all-time low, I was even sent to a "morale boosting" workshop of sorts because I am a supervisor. Without getting into the nitty gritty, I've just been feeling "bleh" and depressed about work lately. Co-workers have gotten on my nerves, I was promised things I never got, etc.
I even took 3 days off the past week cause I felt like I needed the break. I have to go back tomorrow and I am soooo dreading it.

I've been trying to cheer myself up by shopping but I've been good and didn't buy anything....I didn't want to blow my cash buying something I don't truly love just because I'm a bit down about work right now. Hopefully it's just a phase....

Can I just be blunt and ask you if you like your profession?

I've been horribly unmotivated at work lately, and it's because I'm not being challenged. My days can be incredibly boring, but overall I feel like I'm working for an organization that is doing something to better the community, so in return I have a more positive attitude about work (plus I'm moving onto a new and *hopefully* more challenging job here soon). I find that I derive my professional happiness from two things: doing something that interests me at least 60-70% of the time and believing in my company/organization's mission and values.

It's probably just a phase, but if may be that you're in the wrong field/working for the wrong company. Kudos for taking a few days off, though.

Oh, I understand! I'm with you... Not real happy with exactly what I do right now. I like my profession, but I'm not happy with the position I'm in right now. I'm a lawyer, and right now I'm strictly desk work..l document review and the like. I realized (after I'd stopped doing it to take this position, LOL!) that I miss litigation a lot.

I'm currently looking for a job it litigation, and hope to make the jump soon. Can you look for another job you might like more?

I've found that even though I'd rather be doing something else, I'm grateful for the job I do have.... I may not love it but it pays the bills!

I think this is just a phase, I totally do love my profession...or else I wouldn't be doing my M.L.S.! I work in a public library...I guess my major gripe right now is being disappointed in management lately - what a surprise!

I can't wait to finish my degree...I will definitely have more opportunities in the field then..but that's another 2 years!

That's interesting. I work with a girl who just got hers and quit the library she was at for similar management reasons. She likes the field but I don't think she'll be working at another library around here anytime soon. She's working here (not a library) now. Sounds like it's not uncommon...