Unknown stain removal help!

ladyash

O.G.
Jun 5, 2010
I completely forgot we have a wardrobe section on here!

I picked up a gorgeous Ralph Lauren jacket from the thrift store last week and it has this unidentifiable stain on the front. I first thought it was makeup, but after washing it four times, putting detergent on it and leaving it over night, trying shampoo (in case it was oil based makeup), and washing it with a different detergent that said it removed stains, it's still there and hasn't faded a bit!! I don't own any stain remover products so I am guessing this might be my next step for trying to get rid of this stain!

The first picture is of the stain. It's darker and more noticeable in person and in day light. This was taken at night under terrible bedroom light. I have a feeling it may be coffee or tea instead of makeup.
Second picture is of the jacket on...Now I know I could probably just dye the jacket a darker brown or whatever and problem solved, but I bought the jacket because I liked the style and the colour on me. I don't own many light coloured pieces and I'm trying to work more lighter colours into my wardrobe so I would prefer to leave the colour and just tackle this stain! Plus I'm a hair model and am going bleach blonde and super short next week, so I feel like dark colours near my face may not work too well for me after I have the hair done since I'm used to being a red head or my natural light reddish brown.

Anyone have any stain removal advice/suggestions??? It's 100% cotton and very pale blue. No idea what the stain actually is or how long it's been sitting there, but am pretty sure it's the reason it ended up at the thrift store since it seems to be pretty stubborn and hasn't even faded a bit since my first attempt. I'm considering buying shout advanced for set in stains, but have never used a stain remover product before and don't want to harm the material or colour any!

Attachments

• 2380089d1382925681-secondhand-bargains-lets-see-your-cheap-treasures-1382925679769.jpg
    2380089d1382925681-secondhand-bargains-lets-see-your-cheap-treasures-1382925679769.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 2377614d1382734543-secondhand-bargains-lets-see-your-cheap-treasures-1382734542128.jpg
    2377614d1382734543-secondhand-bargains-lets-see-your-cheap-treasures-1382734542128.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 152
Have you let the detergent sit for a while before washing it?
I use shout and it works everytime and the trick is to let it sit for 30 min the least.
I hope you can get it out...

Have you let the detergent sit for a while before washing it?
I use shout and it works everytime and the trick is to let it sit for 30 min the least.
I hope you can get it out...

Yep I let it sit over night and it accidently dried which it actually says on the bottle not to do...oops! It left a lighter blue ring around the area where I put the detergent to let it sit but most of it came out in the wash so it's not very noticeable anymore but the stain is still there and I don't really think it has faded much. I'm considering the set in stain one and hoping that might work but who knows...I'm assuming it's an old stain since I bought it at the thrift store it's not like I spilled something or else I would have washed it right away since I know stains always come out if you wash it almost as soon as it happens.

I have used Oxi Clean powder on set-in stains a few times, and it's always worked well. I was actually able to get black spray paint out of a ski jacket once (the paint was on a white area of the coat), and the spray paint had been on this coat for years. My bf still had the coat in his closet for whatever reason, but he thought it was ruined. All I had to do was let the coat soak in Oxi Clean mixed with water for a few hours, and it was brand new again. I've also used Oxi Clean on colored clothes with no issues.

I also swear by Oxi clean powder (or Vanish as it's called here). It has removed a lot of old stains from vintage and new clothing. You must make sure to dissolve it really well in warm water and to agitate the clothing in it, otherwise it can bleach the colours out in places, which I found out the hard way.

That IS challenging. Removal is stains usually depends on what class of stain it is: protein, vegetal or grease...you could go your cleaners for help...though if it's thrift you might not want to pay! My favorite at home stain removal is called White Wizard; I have no idea what's in it but it doesn't smell at all and it's removed lipstick to blood and unknown kid clothes stains...got it on amazon.

I also swear by Oxi clean powder (or Vanish as it's called here). It has removed a lot of old stains from vintage and new clothing. You must make sure to dissolve it really well in warm water and to agitate the clothing in it, otherwise it can bleach the colours out in places, which I found out the hard way.

Will Oxi-clean work in cold water? My jacket says cold water like colours for washing instructions...but maybe luke warm wouldn't hurt it? I'm thinking of trying oxi clean since my mom said most stain removers don't work that well and that I'm better off either soaking it in cold water and detergent for a few days or using ivory soap.

That IS challenging. Removal is stains usually depends on what class of stain it is: protein, vegetal or grease...you could go your cleaners for help...though if it's thrift you might not want to pay! My favorite at home stain removal is called White Wizard; I have no idea what's in it but it doesn't smell at all and it's removed lipstick to blood and unknown kid clothes stains...got it on amazon.

I know! I was asking my mom for help since she is usually really good with this kind of stuff but she kept asking me what the stain is and I really don't know since I wasn't the person that spilled something on it!
I was considering taking it to the dry cleaners but it was a $4 jacket and know it will cost at least $12 for them to attempt to get the stain out and it still may come back to me with the stain so would rather just buy some sort of stain remover product and try myself at home first. Maybe use the dry cleaners as a last resort if I've exhausted all other things to try. Good news is now that the jacket is dry I do think the stain has faded out a bit so hopefully that means it will eventually go away!