University makeover

roobv

Nov 29, 2009
So I'm going to university next year and I want to look a bit more profesional or grown up, instead of kiddy which my girlfriend says I look now! (I'm a boy)I was thinking of going for a Jeff Winger on community sort of look? (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/community-sitcom/images/e/e6/S1-Jeff_Winger.jpg) I was wondering if anyone knew where he gets his clothes though since i cant seem to find any nice blazers or coats like he wears anywhere! thanks!

Last edited:
You should be able to get them pretty much everywhere because blazers are classic. TJ Maxx should have some cheaper ones, or try places like Nordstroms or Neimans for dressier ones.

Banana Republic is a good place for button downs, sweaters, and blazers. I think it is great that you want to look put together and professional in college. It will definitely set you up for a professional work wardrobe when you are out of college.

Well, first of all you describe your current look as "kiddy," but don't go into any detail so we really have nothing to compare to. Next, trust me when I say you will look incredibly out of place if you try to dress "professional" or "grown up" for college; half the kids go to class in their pajamas. When you graduate, you will no doubt need a work appropriate wardrobe, but that is years off. I am assuming that you are 17 or 18, so why do you feel the need to dress like a grown up already? You should enjoy your college years and not worry about having to look like a professional until you are a professional.

This is coming from a 2009 graduate, so I would recommend against dressing professionally for school -- just wear something decent. Sure, it would be good for you to invest in a couple of button-down shirts, slacks, and a tie or two, for business-casual wear, internships, and internship/job interview, but you do not need a whole new professional wardrobe to wear to class. If you want to do that "community look," do it on a date, or going downtown. Banana Republic, some choice items from Express, are stores that easily stock these basics.

cool jeans and some polo shirts/t-shirts/sweatshirts will do if you ask me.
i teach at uni (not in the us) and some of my colleagues (staff) are not dressed as fancy as that.... although our students would never come in pajamas - i think denim is standard uniform

Do not dress like that for college, you will get made fun of. There was one guy in my major that always walked around in a suit and he was known as "that guy". Most people in college wear really casual clothes. For guys that is generally shorts/jeans and a t shirt, maybe a polo. Some people show up in gym clothes or pajamas.

Do not dress like that for college, you will get made fun of. There was one guy in my major that always walked around in a suit and he was known as "that guy". Most people in college wear really casual clothes. For guys that is generally shorts/jeans and a t shirt, maybe a polo. Some people show up in gym clothes or pajamas.

Really?? Lots of the guys at my high school dressed up like that. :shocked: In university, too, tons of people walked around pretty dressed up.

Go and check out the school and see what people are wearing, then. You don't want to be known as 'that guy' haha!!

^I would think that's an exception rather than the norm...

University students are super casual. There are the odd few eccentric artist types who walk around looking ridiculous in suits and waistcoats and stuff all the time but everyone definitely dresses down. Denim, polos, hoodies, t-shirts, sneakers are definitely the uniform like someone said above.

For the vast majority of universities, especially in the first year, I think nice jeans and a polo or decent tee are the safest bet, wardrobe-wise.