Unique Names

Part II: God Wants You To Name the Baby After Him

• In a few months I'm going to be a new mom, and we know its a girl. My dh and I have been discussing names lately (we already have six children: Jack Dominick, Rose Solenne, Monroe Charlize, Ophelia Eden, Heart Scarlett, Pascal Sebastien) and our favorites right now are: [SIZE=-1]Okay, I think this lady's lying. No two people could contain between them enough evil to conceive both of this many children and this many f'ed up names. Even a godless universe contains more rhyme and reason.

[SIZE=-1]Phoenix (she was conceived in Phoenix)
    Aedin
    Cielle
    (see-ell)
    Gracelyn
    Maxime
    (max-eem)
    Jasmine

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]These people, being either liars, new age cultists, schizophrenic Dungeons and Dragons players, Mormons, or all four, make most commentary on those preposterous names moot. However:
    Every kid thinks the idea their parents have sex is nasty. So why oh why would you want to remind them of it every single time someone calls their name? I mean, how 'bout some truth in advertising, here! Name her Ramblerbackseat.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Please help me out for a girl: Madison Belle or Mekenzie Jordyn

[SIZE=-1]I thought Madison Belle was the river boat in Huck Finn. Update! Reader Beth adds Madison Bell is Erika Christensen's, um, shall we say, assertive character in the teen version of "Fatal Attraction" "Swimfan." I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know if boiled bunnies come into play, but apparently she's not very nice.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]
    Anyone ever thought about Sierra Joy? I love the name, but husband is less than thrilled with it. [SIZE=-1]But he'll love the pine-fresh scent!
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Part III: Easy to be Scarred

• I'm thinking of naming my baby Vashara Rashea. [SIZE=-1]That sounds ominously close to part of the chant to summon the demon Pazuzu! [/SIZE]
  • I just found out that I am expecting a baby girl! While I have a boys name picked out (Guillermo junior, after his daddy...for backup, lol, cause those doctors arent always right!) I'm debating between a few girls names. Tell me what you think.
    Lorelei Jakarta (yes i know its an indonesian city but i think its exotic)
    Beyonce Noelle
    Heaven Starr

[SIZE=-1]Yes. Exotic. As exotic as martial law. Meanwhile, in your madness you've gone and concocted one of the best Playmate names ever. You know, we never would have known the origin of Guillermo Jr. if she hadn't explained - IT'S AFTER HIS FATHER. HIS FATHER!!!!! It's so funny, I'll LOL.
    [/SIZE]

Part IV: Babies or Blotter Acid?

• me and my boyfriend put alot of thought into our childs name and the end result was great, boy: Skyler Alexander girl: Trinity Laureen
    Every one I have told seem to like them because they are different but anyhow I don't really care what the rest of the world thinks of my baby's name because it is my baby!!!
    [SIZE=-1]Yes, but it's not YOUR name. You can't play with my toy! It's mine! Mine mine mine mine! MOOOOOOOM! They're making fun of my pretentious designer baby naaaaaaaaame! [/SIZE]
  • My husband and I have already decided to name our son Cinsere. It's unique and it will be the first name in our family that is non-traditional. Many of our family members disagree with our decision, but we have decided and nothing is going to change our minds. We appreciate their opinions, but it is our choice.
    [SIZE=-1]And again the spectre of mule-headedness raises its mule head. So why'd you ask for the family members' opinions if you don't actually give a crap what they say? Funny, that's not very (snicker) "cinsere." [/SIZE]
  • My name is Cheri and my husbands name is Chris and our first born is named after his father, Christopher. If I have a girl her name will be Chloe Lynn and if it is a boy I like the name (Shaun) Douglas but I would like to spell it Chaun so that all our names start with "Ch". I noticed that it is not a listed spelling for that name. What do you think?
    [SIZE=-1]See, this is what Martha Stewart hath wrought. She's made people obsessed with having matched sets of things, even if it means scarring your kids. [/SIZE]

Part V: Big Chief Mucous Stink

• I'm seven months pregnent with quadruplets!!!! Nicole, Luke, Amanda and Alex. These names sound refreshing with a hint of mystery. [SIZE=-1]Ooh, refreshing and zesty! Like bathing under a crisp clean waterfall with Irish Spring. Yet mysterious, like a smokey dame in a red dress. But under a waterfall.
    [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Hey guys i am Miranda, i have 4 month old twin girls there names are Kiarne Rhukaya & Paris jewel.
    [SIZE=-1]Miranda, sweetie, don't keep any weapons in the house. Twins can be all telekinetic and spooky, and those two are going to wreak some revenge on your ass. [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]DAKOTA, LAKOTA, etc. I am an actual Indian, Oglala Lakota. I live in North Dakota. Stop with the so called "american indian" names, will ya? Dakota does not mean "friend", that's just what white folks think.
    I saw someone here post something to the effect of "my wife is one-eighth Sioux, so we named our son 'Lakota', which means 'good earth' in American Indian. Spot all the errors in that sentence.
    *If* someone is actually Siouan, they would identify themselves as Oglala, Hunkpapa, Sicangu, Nakota, Dakota, Lakota, etc., not "sioux". If the name is a word from the Lakota language, it is not "american indian". There is NO "american indian" language.
    How many of you would think 'Pahli', 'Sicamna', or 'Sica' were pretty and unusual "american indian" names? Know what they mean? Mucous, Stink, and Ugly.
    Do what you must, but leave the Dakota and Lakota Nations out of it, along with all other American Indian Nations. Find some other culture to co-opt.
    [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Excerpts from Alexa Rae's mom: [SIZE=-1]

I was somewhat surprised not to see my daughter's name in any of the above enteries. Her name is Alexa Rae... She does about 5 beauty pagents a year and for those she uses her first and middle name. That's what we would like for her to be known to the world as....Alexa Rae is almost 3 years old now and I don't regret our decision one bit....
    We're going to get another one....My husband liked the name Shasta, but I can't imagine naming my child after a can of soda. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]I wrote out a nice long diatribe about this one, but can distill it into a single thought: This woman is a slave master. A slave master who will soon "get" a child named "Mountain Dew" and display her in a decorative case. [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]
    [SIZE=-1]May I suggest:
    Calaya Tanith
    Calaya Branwen
    Calaya Delphine
    Calaya Faerin
    Calaya Gwendolen
    Calaya Maeve
    Calaya Magdalen
    Calaya Mairead
    Calaya Niamh
    Calaya Nimue
    Calaya Roisin
    (ro-SHEEN)
    Calaya Siobhan (sha-VON)
    Calaya Talwen
    Fainne Maeve
    Fainne Roisin
    Fainne Tanith

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]No. No, you bloody well may not suggest them. Please leave us alone and resume reading "The Annotated Legends of the Runes of the Mystical Arthurian Knighthood of the Sacred Circle of the Shield of the Spell-Casting Princess Faeries of the Grail of Blackwynne Castle. Book II."
    [*]Prayers. Before I found out I was going to have a boy, I only had girls names chosen. If I do have a girl in the future I am naming her Aria Ocean or Aria Leilani. I love original names! :smile:
    Behold, the latest fad in greeting people: stating a random noun. As in, "Fishsticks. My name's Aria Ocean and I'm a new-age CD compilation featuring 40 hits by your favorite artists. Like Enya..."
    [*] here are some names i saw today
    kaytaquana
    alliwen
    camianne
    shaynelna
    karlakenya
    adanah
    leezi
    mays
    karjovon
    brandnel
    jaslera
    breedee
    tylee
    allikaylor
    tylera
    shairani

I'm guessing (hoping, praying) these are names you saw today while you were hitting random keys on the computer at Bellevue just before the Thorazine kicked in. Wait, let me try:

huvven
    woakam
    euwher
    iluhad
    joofenkel (for boy or girl)
    jofwern
    mu'ulf
    opiuren
    puj
    yubjibi
    roowp
    qimwoup
    Abcadeffgheejecklemenopqrestuvwexiz (the most incredible word I've ever seen!)

[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

Part VI: When You're in Love, The Whole World's Welsh

• Here are a few names for girls that I like a lot.
    Autumn Dawn Autumn Grace
    Cyndal
    , Shelby, Bethany, Shayna, Kendra, Leah, August, Alayna (Laynie for short),Gracey, Madelyn, Summer, Mara, Sable, Sadie, Anna, Hillary. I like old names. [SIZE=-1]Yeah. There are lots of Kendras in the Bible. And Shelby was a popular Elizabethan name. [/SIZE]
  • My mothers name is Stella. Her mother was Gertrude. Mom's grandmother was Sylvia. Feel free to use any of these family heirlooms.

[SIZE=-1]"We decided to name her Gertrude Stella Johnson."
    "Oh, that's nice. Are those family names?"
    "No, they're the names of some total strangers' relatives and mean absolutely nothing to us."
    "Oh."
    You just know this lady's gonna name her kids Ruger and Ashelynn and needed some Yuppie Absolution. What she really needs is a dictionary, to help her with that really, really complicated "heir" part of "heirlooms."
    [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]The following list was written, literally, with no spaces. I've divided it up so each name gets the special attention it deserves. [SIZE=-1]

Beautiful Welsh names (girls)
    Aelwen(fair brow)
    Arwen(Fair)
    Briallen(primrose)
    Drudwen(precious)
    Ceindrych(Elegant, fair)

Ceiros(Cherries)
    Cerian (to love ) Ce pronouced as KEE
    Crisiant( crystal)
    Faleiry (welsh form of valerie)
    Fflur( flower)

Eiddwen Eira, Eiry (snow)
    Enfys (rainbow)
    Eswen(strength)
    Eurwen(fair and golden)
    Gwennant(fair stream)

Gwennog(smiling)
    Gwylan(seagull)
    Gwyneira (white snow)
    Haf(summer)
    Heulwen(sunshine)

Iorwen(lord, beautiful)
    Llio Meinir(maiden)
    Meinwen(slender n fair)
    Melangell(sweet angel)
    Saeran( an irish saint)
    Tegan(beautiful)
    Wynne(fair, blessed)

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]BOMB WALES NOW! Seriously, take any one of these words, put "Marie Johnson" behind it and try not to laugh. Now imagine the kindergarten teacher trying to say Fflur on the first day of school. That's right. We need to bomb Wales now. Actually, I take that back. Having been to Wales, and having met no one with any of the above crimes...I mean, names...I think we should restrict bombing to this woman's house.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]great name... I love Quinlynn, have you thought about adding a sylabel to make pronuncian easier? I only say that because my name is Angelique Jacquelyn. I like Quinelyn or Quinylin or Quinalynn.
    [SIZE=-1]So really you're saying it to spread your misshappen evil around, making a confusing name surrealistically bizarre? Interesting. [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]I love the name Bretlyn Nichole for a girl and Braynt Adam for a boy my last name is [last name] so i think those names would sound good together what do yall think
    [SIZE=-1]I continue to pray these are horrible mis-typings. Even if that's supposed to be "Bryant Adam" it's horrible and mean. And if it really is supposed to be "Braynt"...I don't want to live. [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]MY first daughter name is Unique Melanie [last name] I wanted her fisrt name to be unique and she has my first name s her middle. I am 7 months pregnant and if its a girl her name will be Angel or Destiny Lanell [last name].If its a boy his name will be Maki(ma-ky-i)Donte'
    [SIZE=-1]Alright, I'll give her credit for skipping to the chase and just naming the kid "Unique." None of this Amberashlynn Daysharla crap. Save everyone the time and tell them exactly what to think. But, damn it, there's no way on this earth you can make people pronounce Maki with three syllables. Not unless you pay everyone on earth at least $50. More to the Japanese, who will laugh their asses off that you're naming your baby after a type of sushi. [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]if i had a little girl i would name her Catatonia Calliope. catatonia meaning catatonic or in a coma and calliope meaning beautiful voice. i know its a tad odd but i like it!
    [SIZE=-1]See it means she has a beautiful voice. With no brain activity. And drools and needs a catheter. And is played at circuses! [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]I love the name Meloncholia Francessca Antouinette for a girl and Zakeri Atruellu for a boy, but my family and spouse ablosute hate it.
    [SIZE=-1]I don't know what his problem is. How can he be made sad by a perky name like Meloncholia?
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Part VII: Jesus' Mom is No Saint

• My to-be husband has a thing for "unique" names. He likes names such as "Veto" and "Enobi". I like what I call "cool" names. Then names such as "Kiki" and "Jack". We were having dissagrements with baby names till I smacked him upside the head and phrohibid him from naming my children.
    [SIZE=-1]Well, I phrohibid you from having kids at all. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Although, it is nice to know who originated the slang use of "cool" - it's this lady! ("They're what I like to call --big finger quotes-- COOL names.") And now we know she's prone to violence against her fiance for wanting to name kids Veto so they can star in Schoolhouse Rock segments about the three branches of government! Help me, Kobi-Wan Enobi, you're our only hope! [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Here are some unusual girls names (and some weird):[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]1. Vadan[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]2. Jayken[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]3. Tamree[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]4. Cheyenne[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]5. Shayla[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]6. Luche[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]7. Velandra[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]8. Electra[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Good luck to all the parents wanting the best names possible for their little Darlings. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Well, it's finally happened. I'm speechless. Utterly, utterly speechless. She coughs up (and I mean that literally) some of the dumbest names I've ever, ever seen, after reading hundreds of these stupid, stupid entries and then ends it with that sanctimonious crap about how parents who give their kids stupid names are the ones who want the best for their kids. You know, most people put out an effort to find the worst possible names for their kids because they don't realize they're "little darlings." Not until Super Name Lady points it out to them. I just....I think I need a good cry now. [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Can I get some thoughts on naming a girl Emerson? There's no reason behind it, I recently met someone with the name and fell in love. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Does your husband know? [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]I haven't decided the middle name yet - Emerson Michelle [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Emerson Anne[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Emerson Mae[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Our last name is Kingston. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Emerson Kingston. Try saying it five times fast! [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]I got an e-mail on this one from a lady who met another woman with a girl named Emerson. It went predictably. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Mom: "...blah blah blah named Emerson."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]E-mailer: "That's nice, like the poet?" [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Mom: (blank stare) [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]E-mailer: "Like Ralph Waldo Emerson?"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Mom: (blank stare. Probably accompanied by sound of crickets.) "WHO???" [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Stupid public schools. [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]I'm having twins , but I want a common first name and uncommon middle name how does this names sound: girls: Valerie Brigail and Juliet Alelanie or boys: Santiago Joeaziel and Omar Aaron comments? [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]What the living hell? (How's that for a comment?) The girls' middle names are part of the Syllable Exchange Program and the boys names make me ponder what ethnicity this woman is, and what ethnicity she thinks her son will magically have. [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Are you choosing a name for your baby? I've never met no namesakes. If you please, name your baby Onarada! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight! In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight! Ona-rada! Ona-rada! Ona-rada! Ona-rada! Ona-rada! Ona-rada! (More than one reader has pointed out this is definitely a gag posting - Onarada means "fart" in Japanese. At least...I HOPE that makes it a fake entry!) [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]I love the Lord, am a LDS woman, and would like to name my baby baby Jesus. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Wait, she wants to call him "Baby Jesus"? How will that work after he's 33? [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]My husband says this is ridiculous because we are not latino and he does not even go to church anymore. I looked and it is a popular name in the US so it must be that others like me are out there spreading His love. His full name would be "Jesus Joseph Dewey". Can any one tell me if when you are at the hospital can you refuse to let your husband have a say in what the birth certificate says? I 18 years old and am a first time mom. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Issue 1: Jesus! (Praise the Lord!) Joseph! (Hallelujah!) Dewey. (.....um.....He's a duck, right?) Issue 2: Have you ever heard anything so romantic, and yet so filled with Our Heavenly Father's purest love alighting from heaven to his children upon the earth as an 18 year old Mormon girl wanting to have her husband barred from the hospital where she's just given birth so she can name their child Jesus. Joseph. Dewey. Amen. [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Nevaeh is perhaps my least favorite name ever. Even more than Moxie Crimefighter.

Do you run into a lot of babies named Female (pronounced Feh-mall-A)? My friend did a rotation in peds in Camden, NJ (super bad area of NJ for those who don't know), and at least once a week they'd get a baby with that name.

Actually, yes, but I think only twice so far. I was thinking someone printed off their medical sticker wrong at first!

Part VIII: Of Thee I Scream

• my wife & i decided to name our daughter MARA JADE after the mother in Star Wars. if it's a boy well name him ANIKEN MICHEAL. we are star wars fanatics. do you think we went too far?
    [SIZE=-1]First off, and I had to look all this up, the mother of Aniken Skywalker is named Shmee. Now there's a name. Mara Jade is a character from the many geek book sequels who thusly is described by the official Star Wars Web page:
    She was once known as the Emperor's Hand -- a highly skilled assassin and operative who could hear Emperor Palpatine's bidding from across the galaxy. Trained since childhood and honed into a weapon, Mara learned self-sufficiency, piloting, marksmanship and talents in the Force while serving her dark master.
    This charmer, after many fascinating adventures in many silly named places and after many attempts to kill Luke Skywalker, ends up marrying him. Then together they go on fascinating adventures to silly named places.
    Reading this fulfills your entire yearly geek info quota. Next up, the Web site says the correct spelling is Anakin, but in any spelling it's a stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid name, and unless the kid hones the ability to strangle people with his mind and sound like James Earl Jones, his life will be a nightmare of unimaginable proportions.
    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]

Reader Submitted:

• I have come across two names that had me scratching my head recently. One was a bank teller's name - Sharmonica. Another was the name of a customer - Cherith. Sounds like she has a speech impediment, doesn't it? [SIZE=-1]Update! Reader Allison points out Cherith is in the Bible. It's not the name of a person, however, but the name of the brook God commands Elijah to go sit and wait by. (1 Kings 17:3) As he hides there, God sends ravens twice a day to bring him food. After a while, the brook dries up and God tells Elijah to move on to a widow's house. Then, to add to God's "Simon Says" game with Elijah, he orders him to go talk to Ahab. Then they outfit the Pequod with mighty harpoons and start seeking the white whale. (OK, I made up that last part.) [/SIZE]
  • And here's my unique name story. A sweet, wonderful, elderly couple we once shared a house with for a short time, Wade and Maxine, had only one daughter, so they decided to name her after *both* parents...
    Yes, you guessed it, her name is Wadine.
  • friend of mine worked in a hospital and would check the nursery every day for names - he has a list a mile and a half long - my favorite that I remember was "Espe Do Wop Jones!" [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

• From Cynthia: [SIZE=-1]
    I grew up in Hawaii, where parents could get pretty creative with naming children, with some disastrous results:
    In my high school alone, there were two sisters named Blessing and Gaiety (I know they had another sister, but can't remember the name). Another girl was named Blue Hawaii.
    In my culture (I won't name it, for fear that people can poke further fun) parents like to meld their names together when naming their child. As you can imagine, there can be a lot of original and unique names:
    Argyle (Gil and Arceli--I used to kid him about being named after a sock...)
    Arleigh (Argyle and Leilani--conglomeration of his older sister and brother. I saw this name pop up at the USS Arizona memorial. However, I don't think the parents had a clue.)
    Mariecon (My sister, melding after my mother's two first names..."maricon" in spanish just happens to be a slang term for homosexual.)
    JoMar (Joe and Maria)

I think I may have shared too many clues to remain anonymous. :smile:
    [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Well, I found a bunch of Mariecons, mostly Filipino (a ha! Nice try, Cynthia!). I only mention this because the Philippines was a Spanish colony for over 300 years - apparently the term 'maricon' (and it is a very rude term) developed sometime after 1898. And this is a really obscure comment, but the name JoMar makes me immediately think of the masterwork of film "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" (1964). In this cinematic triumph, most of the Martian's names end with -mar (for Martian! Get it?!): Bomar, Momar, Girmar (played by Pia Zadora!), etc.
    [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]I had the misfortune last year, of doing some work at a private religious schooling facility near where I lived. Amongst the students was a girl called Deztini. Bleach-blonde little girl about 11 years old, spoilt by her folks (her mother seems to have been far too influenced by the Krystyl Dolfin era of kewl grrl namezz!1!1!!), blasted rap music without having a clue what the words were.

... And her freaking name was *Deztini*, of course, pronounced as 'destiny'. The pain, the pain. [SIZE=-1]Surprise, surprise, all searches I did for "Deztini" turned up porn sites, porn stars and escorts.[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]My cousin had a little girl a few months ago...they called her Perryn...
    I could handle that...but her big brother's name is....*ack*... Garland.
    [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]My cousin named his daughter Paisley Miquel. My aunt and uncle were terrified when they had a son after. They were relieved when he and his wife settled on Mathew. Lol! Oh and I knew a girl in Japan who named her daughter Maekenzee Reenae. She liked e's I guess.
    [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]
    I was an elementary school teacher for many years--here are some of the most memorable names--
    Alpachino Baines--he told me his father was a big fan of the actor--everyone called him Chino.
    Then there was a boy named Marvelous, and his brother Dominant. And let's not forget brother and sister Prince and Queen.
    But the one that takes the cake--a little girl named Tajshma. You guessed it, her last name is Hall!
    [SIZE=-1]Here are some lessons to be learned. #1. Marvelous Marvin Haggler's first name wasn't Marvelous. #2. Queen Latifah's first name isn't Queen. #3. Prince's real first name wasn't....damn! It actually was Prince! Son of a ....! My favorite thing in this one (besides Alpachino, about which I honestly don't know where to start - how 'bout it's spelled wrong?) is that in searching the Web for Tajshma or Tashma Hall, all I turned up were sites of people who actually think that is how to spell "Taj Mahal." VFW Hall, Oddfellow's Hall, Tajshma Hall....it all makes sense.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1] have a cousin named Carrianne [deleted] in Minnesota. She married a man named [deleted] Baird that is a Canadian citizen. They named their two daughters [First name] Koala Baird and [First name] Panda Baird.

[SIZE=-1]This one made me go a little berzerk. Not because the first names are bad names. They're very nice (though increasingly trendy) names. Or even that Koala and Panda are much too cuddly to be used as middle names. Or even that they're paired with Baird, to up the cuddly factor 100 fold and make the kids sound like characters in a children's book (with accompanying line of plush toys.) Or the prospect that the girls are going to grow up into dark, petulent teenagers/young adults who smoke cloves, listen to German industrial and read the Tibetan Book of the Dead. Oh no.
    It's that koalas aren't bears. They're freaking marsupials.
    That's how high my bad baby name tolerance has gotten.

Update!
    In the last few days I have been deluged with e-mails about how pandas aren't bears either - they're closer to raccoons. Obviously, this required me to put on my safari hat and do lots of unnecessary research into panda physiology and behavior. Because...um...yeah.
    After reading a lot of looooong articles, one entirely about panda penises - the things I do for my readers! - it appears (drum roll) they are bears. Sort of. If they are, they're not very good at it.
    Scientists are still debating what the heck is with the panda, seeing as they look like bears, are built like bears, and are genetically close to bears but do almost no bear things at all.
    The eat their veggies, they're really slow, don't hibernate, don't like caves, and have a mini-thumb and a nose like a kitten. Plus, red pandas look exactly like raccoons after a day at the beauty parlor.
    (I know, I know, red pandas and giant pandas aren't closely related. But I love red pandas and couldn't leave them out.) What does this mean for the world of bad baby names? I'm not sure. I'm still confused from all the bear dick articles. But you just learned something, and damn it, I'm here to educate as well as entertain.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]I absolutely love this website! I woke up my whole family at 2:00am with my hysterical laughter. I have a contribution. I saw this name on the bulletin board at work and cringed. And then laughed. I haven't the faintest idea how to pronounce this, but somebody named their child Treoganeke.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

• I know a couple who has the last name Sherlock. They named their daughter Eilish. Forget about saying it ten times fast. Try saying it ONCE!
  • I work for head start and we have a pair of twins this year: Pookie Bair (like bear)and Poopsie Dier (like deer) both girls!
    A few years ago we had a set of twins who were named: Hunter and Fischer (Fisher) and their last names was Farmer! Ugh!
    [SIZE=-1]Yes, but going back to the neolithic era we see Hunter Farmers are more advanced than Hunter Gatherers. And Pookie and Poopsie. Were there ever two kids who needed Head Start more? I think we should take up a collection for them.
    [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]My maternal grandfather was an OB/GYN in a rural area of Pennsylvania in the 1940's. He would tell stories of delivering babies to mothers who had never been to a doctor or heard the medical terms for body parts. He mentioned one or two women who had to be discouraged from naming their children "Uterus" or "Ovary".
    [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]My former roommate had a girlfriend named Luv Seamon. Actually her full name was Luv Joy Seamon.
    [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]I had a friend who did his pediatrics residency at a largely indigent hospital in Memphis, and kept a list of his favourite baby names. I wish I could remember more of them, but the funniest family was the White family, with children Purest and Snowy. I seem to recall a third child, Bright or something like that.

There were the usual stupid-spelling names like Antwaan, and the best all-round stupid name of something along the lines of Tom Jones Junior III, whose father was Tom Jones Junior II, grandfather was Tom Jones Junior and great-grandfather was Tom Jones. I liked the anagrammatic twins Lakeesha and Lasheeka.
    [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]
    Some names from my daughters classmates:
    Summerlee (ick)
    Casara (casserole??)
    Kyrie (yup, as in elaison)
    Nacole (pronounced NAY-cole)
    And my all-time very favorite----
    NIKI RICARDO!!!!!!!!!!! bWAHAHAHHAAA!
    [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]

I got these names from this site:
http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.htm

• [FONT=Arial,Verdana]Shanda Lear[/FONT] Daughter of Bill and Moya Lear (of Lear Jet fame).

• [FONT=Arial,Verdana]Ima Hogg[/FONT] Ima Hogg was real, but not her rumored sister, Ura. Ima (b. 1882 d. 1975) was the daughter of James Steven Hogg, Governor of Texas.

• [FONT=Arial,Verdana]Mark Lemongello[/FONT] A pitcher for the Houston Astros in the 1970s.

my daughter's name is ch'aska which in quechua (the language of peruvian indians)means venus or the morning star (which are the same) but i also found out that in a native northamerican indian language (can't remember which) chaska is the name given to the first born son! there's even a town in minnesota called chaska.
my son's name is santiago which some australians find unusual but it is a known spanish name, meaning st.james (sant' iago). unlyckily he gets called santi and not tiago as i was hoping!!