Unhappy with Tiffany diamond

Sexypiggy

O.G.
Dec 31, 2009
Hey guys,

I have just received a Tiffany setting engagement ring from my darling fiance and it is a gorgeous ring however I have a couple of issues with it and they are stressing me out :cry:

Can you please tell me if I am over-reacting? I know I am a lucky girl to be getting a Tiffany ring and am very grateful but I wanted this to be perfect (I am not looking to upgrade my ring etc down the track so I want this ONE ring to stay with me for life).

The reason we chose to go with Tiffany is because we trusted their brand would only carry the best and did not want to run around and spend the time and research associated with getting it from other jewelers.

The ring is 0.91 carats F color VVS1. My issues:

1) They have resized the ring too small. I have very very tiny fingers (size 2.75) and they had to ship the ring off to have a completely new setting made for me. I'm not sure if it is because the size of it is so small that it is hard to get the measurements right but right now it is very very difficult to take on and off. When my finger was measured for sizing I purposely ensured that the size would not be too snug.

2) The face up size of the diamond is small for the carat size. I compared it to my friend who has a Tiffany ring in the same setting 0.87 carats and mine is noticeably smaller. This surprised me a lot. I showed the two rings to other friends and they all commented that the 0.87 is bigger.

I don't know if it is worth approaching Tiffany about this or if I should just suck it up.

:cry::crybaby:

Never just "suck it up" when it comes to something so expensive. Your fiancé spent a lot of money on the ring to make you happy and give you what you want :smile: so that's what you should get!

The size will always drive you crazy if it isn't sized right. It will only get tighter if you are slightly bloated, in hot/humid weather, gain a few lbs, or even when its slightly pushed up on your finger because of your wedding band, so it's best to get it fixed.

Maybe you can use the size issue to get back to Tiffany with your DF, then bring up the carat size? That's the tricky one. Can your friend come with you so you can compare it?

Good luck op!

You should definitely look into both. Sizing is really important, it's the winter - should definitely be looser. And as for the stone, ask to see the GIA papers - see if it matches. Your stone might just be cut differently or it could be the difference in setting.

Could you post a pic of your ring? Then we could also comment on the size.

However, if you're not completely happy with the ring, I would DEFINITELY approach Tiffany's about it and try to solve the matter :smile:

Congratulations on your engagement! Do not stress. One of the best things going the Tiffany route is the international customer service you will receive. If it is sized too small, simply get them to resize it. My ring size is 2.5 and they sized it too small initially to 2.25 and it was too snug so I simply took it back to be resized. Like other TPF'ers mentioned, finger size can swell with bloating/ weather etc etc.

With how the diamond faces up, it depends on the cut of the diamond. Yours might be cut deeper (your friend's cut shallower) so it faces up smaller. If you post the percentages/ angles here, Ame can advise you better on this.

If size bothers you that much, how about sacrificing colour and go up in carat size? If you are not interested in researching online about cut/ angles, get Tiffany to source a diamond that has 3x excellent cut and sacrificing colour to say G, H or even I. If the cut is good, the diamond usually faces up white anyway.

From my experience, Tiffany has awesome customer service, if you're not 100% satisfied, they will find ways to please you. I'm sure they will source more stones for you to compare. Do not stress too much, enjoy your engagement and look forward to building your life together :smile:

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the kind words.

The proportions are as below:

Table depth %: 62.7%
Table size %: 58%
Crown Height %: 14.8%
Crown angle: 35
Star Length %: 55%
Pavilion Depth %: 43.7%
Pavilion Angle: 41.2
Lower half Length %: 80%
Girdle thickness: Medium to slt Thick
Girdle finish: Faceted
Cutlet: None

Precision/polish/symmetry: all excellent

In hindsight I guess I should of asked for these proportions before my fiance purchased the ring but we assumed that as the ring is from Tiffany, there would be no issues with the cut at all and a 0.91 would naturally be bigger than a 0.87 stone.

Initially we wanted a 1 carat one however it was out of our price range so the SA suggested getting something in the 0.90 range which would look pretty much like 1 carat unless it was placed right next to a 1 carat ring.

When I showed my colleagues my ring, they assumed it was 0.8 carats!!

::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

This is really bothering me and I have no idea if Tiffany will allow me to exchange for a different diamond with a bigger face up size as the ring has already been resized.

We went with Tiffany to avoid these issues however when I look at the diamond now it is very beautiful but just not 100% what I wanted.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

IMHO if you are not totally satisfied take it back! Do what you must til your heart is contempt!!! Do you mind paying the extra fees to have it resized again? Did you have to pay the first time it was resized? Did they measure your finger correctly and got that measurement to resize it with? Try measuring the ring at Tiffanys and see if the person who resized messed up the measurements! This is your ring and ONLY ring from someone who loves you and you want to have beautifully adorned on your ring finger!!! Good luck and keep us updated. TY ;)

Also you comparing diamonds on other peoples fingers will only make you more unstable! IDK how diamonds are measured but it is only 0.04 carats of difference from your frends! Your frends pic versus your pic doesnt do justice for us to judge the rings when they are not side by side on the same finger! They both look the same size IMO.

Hi,

Based on the stats you posted, the diamond is a little deep at 62.7% depth, so it's going to face up smaller than a less deeply cut stone of the same carat weight. If your friend's 0.87 is less deep, her stone probably has a bigger diameter than yours and that's the reason why it looks bigger. Can you still exchange the ring? Look for a diamond with a depth of 62% or less. Congrats on your engagement!

what is the most important criteria you look for in an ering? I get the feeling by the comparison your making with your friends ring, size is important to you, you can't fathom why her ring at a smaller carat weight faces up bigger than yours. however, there are many factors to consider. the cut is all different, with that being said, your friends e ring is probably cut more shallow than yours, because of that the face up will look bigger. that could also mean the overall light return, scintillation and fire does not perform as good as yours, vice versa. when a stone is cut either too shallow or too deep, it could effect the performance of a diamond. i don't want to go into too much detail to confuse you, but i think if your not happy with what you have, you should talk to tiffany and work something out. maybe you could look for another stone that has the proportions your looking for with a bigger spread on the table. oh and regards to the fit, you should def have them resize it. it needs to fit to your comfort level.

.04 is an incredibly small difference - even with varying dimensions, the only way you can tell would be to line them up side by side. honestly, i can't tell from your photos and i think the more you compare the less happy you'll be. personally, you should be happy with your ring. it is suppose to represent something special - don't make it into a competition on whose diamond looks bigger, you'll end up negating the symbolic meaning behind it and there will always be someone with a larger diamond.

and if you really care about size/quality, you should consider going to other jewelers - for instance, VCA's minimum standards are E VVS2. in general, the quality at TIffany for diamonds are actually pretty low. a lot of their diamonds start at G/H and their cut isn't even certified by GIA, they do their own "tiffany cut." for the markup you're paying for the branding of Tiffany's, you can probably get a better diamond somewhere else.

Hi all,

Thank you for your responses. While I do agree that it is not a competition to see who has the biggest ring (nor do I want to make it one) I am quite disappointed for a few reasons.

1. We went to Tiffany because we did not want to go to another jeweler and spend the time and effort to research and analyze the different rings. We expected a ring from Tiffany would be of excellent quality and standard. I know we are paying a premium for the brand, however we expected that Tiffany would have minimum standards in regard to cut color and clarity as compared to a local jeweler.

2. It is not a competition to see who has the biggest ring however we decided that a ring around the 1 carat size would be what we were most comfortable with and it is the size that I most preferred on my finger. The sa was informed of this and suggested we get a ring around 0.9 + carat mark. The whole time the sa suggested that it is the carat size that directly correlates to the size of the ring and that at 0.9+ carats it would be very difficult to distinguish from a full carat. At no time did they suggest the cut would influence the face up size of the ring.

3. I wanted a ring around the 1 carat mark however received one that looks more like 0.8. If I wanted a ring of this size my fiancé could of saved more $$.

I am really really unhappy with the ring and I don't know what to do :sad: