Unhappy with SA

Surat

O.G.
Nov 24, 2010
Dear all,

I am new to chanel and the forum. I bought my first chanel bag few weeks ago. I am totally enjoying all the different threads. My SA was pretty nice when I first decided to buy the bag but I was deciding between jumbo and GST. I had both on hold but then the day I went to choose my bag, Jumbo was sold to another customer and they were all sold out. I felt a little disappointed but I ended up buying GST. I also had another bag I liked and was told it may go on sale, so I held back hoping to hear from her. Sales started and now nearly ending, but she never called back. I called her several times and then I got answered that bag was sold. Is this quite normal as you are a new customer. Should I look at another SA who has more customer value but maybe awkward as we only have one chanel boutique. Maybe I am expecting too much!!

You r certainly not expecting too much, especially for the price we r paying to buy a Chanel one can at least expect some decency....But unfortunately, the SAs tend to be snobbish and rude (maybe because they sell 'luxury' items and therefore think they r a upper class SA??? Which they proved IRL they r certainly not!!!:tdown:). Too bad they are not working on commission basis (I think)....Also even though the price is going sky rocket, they keep on selling...So they probably think they don't have to be polite, cos they don't have worry about the sales at all....Chanel should make the SAs take customer-friendly training on a regular base....For them to produce those nice bags, but let the customers have such a turn-off experience in the store is sooooo bad.....

I think more often than not a new customer might not follow through and it sounds like it was clear you'd only buy one of the two bags. While disappointing and annoying since you are new I think it's understandable from what you have said. Remember it is also holday season. As for bag on sale I thought boutiques didn't really have bags on sale. Could they transfer jumbo from another store?? Plus sales are many times frustrating for people as there are a lot if clients who buy a lot of bags for years who might want sale item... Stuff always goes wrong during sales... That I would not take personally ESP since you are new customer. It still may be that this is not sa for you but... I also think there's a reality. Part of which is also there are other sas who might reeeeeally want to sell that bag. How long did u want on hold? U should have purchased both and returned one perhaps. In any case I think it's actually somewhat reasonable on part of sa. No offense.

Last edited:
I really hate to say this.. but if the SA has a choice between a regular customer whom she KNOWS is going to buy the bag versus a new customer she doesn't know , she's going to service her regular customer first...because in HER mind, she doesn't know if the new customer is a serious buyer or someone who might be wasting her time. (I'm not saying that's you.. just seeing it her way)

that ALL said, it does not excuse rudeness.. she AT LEAST owes you the courtesy of saying "I'm sorry, but at this time I cannot assist you"

Thanks for your honest opinions about serving newbeees, but for the price you pay there should be some courtesy. I guess I have lot to experience yet. This boutique is within a high end store.

I don't see a problem with that. There are SA's who I have worked with for over 10 years that still don't call me for sales, that being said if I call them asking for something they bend over backwards to accommodate me which I feel is more important. As a customer if I was standing in the shop wanting to buy a bag but they would not sell it to me because it was on an unpaid hold, I would throw a fit!!! IMO if you seriously want something to be kept on hold, especially something this expensive and in demand you leave your credit card number. I always make a point of offering it when I put something on hold, often times I'm told it is not necessary, but at least I have proven that I am going to buy and they are going to hold it for me. Depending on the SA they are probably working on commission and would rather sell something than have it on hold, even if they are not working on commision they still have a sales goal they need to meet and compensation is based on meeting the goal. I would not take it personally, the more you buy the better service you will get.

Money talks. Period. Don't be offended... it's business, not personal (yet, until u have relationship w/her). If you have a bag on hold, how long are they supposed to wait for you to make up your mind? How does she know you are a "serious buyer"??? Customers put things on hold and decide no or buy from somewhere else and don't call them back to say they are not interested anymore a lot. The frustration goes both ways and because you do not have an esatblished relationship with her, she doesn't know what to think. At the end of the day, a SAs job is to sell the bag. And if she doesn't, another SA will. Esp a classic. In the future, if you REALLY can't decide, buy both and return the one you don't want (particularly if it's the last piece!). If I were her, I would not be offended because you were a serious buyer and did keep one. :smile:

Sales are a whole different ball game... you have to be vigilent to get what you want. Never rely on them to come to you...they don't need to really SELL during a sale. Merch flies off the shelf by itself. By the time they hang up the phone with you, the item will be gone... If I know I want something and am hoping it goes on sale...I tell my SA what the item is and to charge my card the minute it hits the sale. Since we have a relationship, she will try her hardest to get that item for me and she knows I'm serious... again...money talks.... and at the end of the day, that commission goes straight into her paycheck without her busting a sweat.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but I am a SA and that was wrong. I would not have bought the bag from her, thus giving her a sale.
Here is why: If she put both on hold for you...ITS ON HOLD. In my experience I've had opportunities where I wasn't sure if my customer would come back to buy the items, and someone else was willing to buy, but I would never be tempted to take the immediate sale. I'd rather lose that sale entirely then run the risk of disappointing my customer,thereby losing the customer, and feeling morally guilty. To me its just bad service. What she did was in bad taste. She went for the quick sale.

I know how you feel because I bought my first chanel bag and had an SA say she'd call me back about 3 different times about 3 different things....but each time she didn't. I had to call HER back several times. Now, I know she must have forgotten. But (and again, comparing to my own experience as an SA) its not that hard to forget to call someone. I'm pretty forgetful but I try to write a reminder or leave a note so I can make sure I call that person back. I want them to know I care.

But I really think if you feel you have not had good service, find a different SA. Luxury items call the need for a great SA who makes you feel good about your purchase so find one that does!!!!
:smile:

Last edited:
sorry, but i think what you went through is normal. i've encountered A LOT of SA's that simply don't care enough. they have so many customers so i think they would rather sell immediately than wait. i know bc an item was on hold for someone and the SA took it and sold it to me. i didn't know it was on hold until days later when the bag was already mailed to me. it sucks, but this is what happens. it's unfortunate, but i would go elsewhere and find an SA i really like. nice SAs exist, but they are rare. good luck finding one.

which SA was it and which store so we know not use him or her.

Sunnyday, thanks for making me feel better from Sa's point of view. That's what I thought, if I have something on hold I expect at least a call to say are you interested as someone really want to purchase. Also from all other experiences you all have posted, I can see that if you want something than be persistent and pay for both that way you have choice. But then I learnt that Chanel can sell without any service. I admire Sa's who go behond their line of duty to help. I guess if I had lot of money than this won't be an issue, money sells. Happy holidays to all!

ITA!
I am lucky to have a fabulous SA- because of her great service, I am very loyal and try and buy all my chanel from her...
sorry, but i think what you went through is normal. i've encountered A LOT of SA's that simply don't care enough. they have so many customers so i think they would rather sell immediately than wait. i know bc an item was on hold for someone and the SA took it and sold it to me. i didn't know it was on hold until days later when the bag was already mailed to me. it sucks, but this is what happens. it's unfortunate, but i would go elsewhere and find an SA i really like. nice SAs exist, but they are rare. good luck finding one.

which SA was it and which store so we know not use him or her.

I'm going to diverge from the crowd and say that if the bag was still in the hold window she gave you, then I think she was wrong. I've been given a hold window of 30 minutes to "think" about something when it's a hot item with a newer relationship with an SA and a week or more when I have an established relationship.

That being said, if you read this forum enough, you will realize that many here work hard on relationships with SAs to get what they want. Honestly, I'm surprised she even put a classic on hold for you....especially the last one....during the holidays.

If you liked her, give it another shot and try to build a relationship.

good SA are like rare gems... its difficult to find someone who is bothered to actually go that extra mile!
so when you find one treat her well :smile:
(it should really be the other way around but this consumer world we live in does not help, does it!!)