Unhappy with my vintage mop yg purchase -Decided to do an allergy test, pause and admire the pieces from afar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up until my mid 20s I was allergic to 24k, WG and silver in my piercings. I could wear them if not in piercings. Then in my 40s I tried piercing again and this time I wore only platinum earrings for 4 years and used sterile sea salt spray. Then I switched over to WG and was fine. I guess I’m trying to say don’t push it. People can develop allergies to things they previously were not allergic to. I would stick to the pieces that have proven to be inert to you. Your health is more important than any jewelry.
Thanks. I returned the MOP at the boutique today and the sales associates were quite nice to me. I will do the metal health patch test and see what I am allergic to. I did get rashes again when I tried the two pieces of gullioche and carnelian 10 motif today.. no redness with the agate 10 motif. I asked if there was any glue or wrapping with the pieces. They said no they only clean with steam and water.

I asked my doctor and he told me, he doesn't think I'm allergic to MOP or the stones. It is most likely the alloy.

Reactions: A bottle of Red
Thanks. I returned the MOP at the boutique today and the sales associates were quite nice to me. I will do the metal health patch test and see what I am allergic to. I did get rashes again when I tried the two pieces of gullioche and carnelian 10 motif today.. no redness with the agate 10 motif. I asked if there was any glue or wrapping with the pieces. They said no they only clean with steam and water.

I asked my doctor and he told me, he doesn't think I'm allergic to MOP or the stones. It is most likely the alloy.
My doctor told me I can wear 24k GOLD or Platinum.

You seem indecisive. I feel like I see your posts every day, on here or on Facebook.

I think it’s sometimes important to get other people’s feedback and suggestions. But I also feel like if you have to constantly rely on other people’s opinions to make a decision, then it’s a sign that you should hold off.

At the end of the day, if you’re trying to find reasons why you shouldn’t like a certain piece or brand, then don’t buy it. I understand that $2,000 is a significant amount of money, but luxury is by definition a non-necessity. Jewelry even more so. At least shoes and bags can provide some basic functionality. There will never be a way to rationalize buying a VCA Alhambra pendant, when it doesn’t do anything to increase your quality of life.

Also, in your case, you seem to only want to buy one pendant from VCA and be done. If you’re looking for “the one” necklace, then you need to be much more sure of your purchase. And I don’t mean that in terms of outside validation. I mean that you need to introspect and understand what you’re looking for in a necklace.

Deciding between a sweet or vintage size is pretty common, I can admit. But deciding between a single-motif pendant vs a ten-motif necklace is a very different purchase, just on a rudimental level. And deciding between carnelian, onyx, mother-of-pearl, blue agate, tiger’s eye, guilloche, and hammered is just way too expansive. Unless you’re trying to collect all the colors, it doesn’t make much sense why you wouldn’t know which version you prefer.

Anyway, my advice is to just not look at anything Van Cleef for a few weeks or months. Go explore other brands. See what else is out there. It doesn’t matter if everyone else loves XYZ brand, jewelry is an emotional purchase. You need to love it yourself. Sometimes, I’ll fall into a cycle where I’ll suddenly be into a brand that I really had no interest in before (for instance, the Dior Celeste pendant). But if I take an extended break, I’ll find that I won’t remain connected with the brand anymore. See how you feel about VCA after taking a break.

I think since her doctor told her she can only wear 24k gold and platinum, most VCA jewelry will not work for her. In fact, most designer jewelry is not 24k gold or platinum, other than some diamond high jewelry being platinum. So basically, she will have to focus on some diamond basic pieces set in platinum. That's always a nice choice and really eliminates most branded jewelry making this search easier.

why you shouldn’t like a certain piece or brand, then don’t buy it. I understand that $2,000 is a significant amount of money, but luxury is by definition a non-n
You seem indecisive. I feel like I see your posts every day, on here or on Facebook.

I think it’s sometimes important to get other people’s feedback and suggestions. But I also feel like if you have to constantly rely on other people’s opinions to make a decision, then it’s a sign that you should hold off.

At the end of the day, if you’re trying to find reasons why you shouldn’t like a certain piece or brand, then don’t buy it. I understand that $2,000 is a significant amount of money, but luxury is by definition a non-necessity. Jewelry even more so. At least shoes and bags can provide some basic functionality. There will never be a way to rationalize buying a VCA Alhambra pendant, when it doesn’t do anything to increase your quality of life.

Also, in your case, you seem to only want to buy one pendant from VCA and be done. If you’re looking for “the one” necklace, then you need to be much more sure of your purchase. And I don’t mean that in terms of outside validation. I mean that you need to introspect and understand what you’re looking for in a necklace.

Deciding between a sweet or vintage size is pretty common, I can admit. But deciding between a single-motif pendant vs a ten-motif necklace is a very different purchase, just on a rudimental level. And deciding between carnelian, onyx, mother-of-pearl, blue agate, tiger’s eye, guilloche, and hammered is just way too expansive. Unless you’re trying to collect all the colors, it doesn’t make much sense why you wouldn’t know which version you prefer.

Anyway, my advice is to just not look at anything Van Cleef for a few weeks or months. Go explore other brands. See what else is out there. It doesn’t matter if everyone else loves XYZ brand, jewelry is an emotional purchase. You need to love it yourself. Sometimes, I’ll fall into a cycle where I’ll suddenly be into a brand that I really had no interest in before (for instance, the Dior Celeste pendant). But if I take an extended break, I’ll find that I won’t remain connected with the brand anymore. See how you feel about VCA after taking a break.
I already stated that I am already holding off because I need to do an allergy test. I am holding off for a while. I am looking for other people's suggestions because I like to ask questions and ask. I don't want to explore other brands that I am not interested in this moment. I just want to hold off and see the allergy test. If I can only wear platinum and 24k GOLD for the rest of my life, than I will have to find a jeweler and customize the piece I want.

I think since her doctor told her she can only wear 24k gold and platinum, most VCA jewelry will not work for her. In fact, most designer jewelry is not 24k gold or platinum, other than some diamond high jewelry being platinum. So basically, she will have to focus on some diamond basic pieces set in platinum. That's always a nice choice and really eliminates most branded jewelry making this search easier.
Thanks appreciate this!

Reactions: DS2006

I wish European brands used platinum, but it seems like they all use white gold for 99% of everything — even for their high jewelry, e.g. Bulgari, Cartier, Van Cleef, Chopard, Piaget… Platinum is a harder and more expensive material to work with, so I guess it makes sense, if their customer base doesn’t really care about the difference.

Platinum is much more common with American brands, like Tiffany and Harry Winston. I think Graff also uses platinum pretty frequently. I would give those brands a try. I have a lot of Tiffany platinum pieces, and I love how substantial they feel. Also, platinum is more secure for daily wear, and Tiffany has a lot of iconic designs in platinum. I think people in the US forget how much cheaper it is to buy Tiffany in the states compared to other countries, but Tiffany is more expensive than Cartier and VCA for Europeans, especially when you consider the tax refund. Anyway, I would definitely look into Tiffany. When you think of the big three jewelry houses, Tiffany has the greatest assortment in platinum.

24k gold, though, would probably have to be unbranded. Unless it’s some artistic object maybe. My friend bought me a 24k gold pig charm bracelet from Chow Tai Fook, which is a really famous Hong Kong jewelry brand. It’s so cute, but it scratches very easily. Once you have a few platinum pieces, I find that it’s difficult to go back to gold.

I wish Van Cleef would change from white gold to just all platinum everything. Especially for the pave pieces. Alas. Getting white gold re-plated is such a hassle. I had a white gold Tiffany bangle. It was my very first white gold piece. I ended up selling it, because I didn’t realize how much maintenance it was. It became yellow over the course of a few months, so I sent it back to get rhodium plated. But every few months I would notice how the bottom half would stop matching up with the top half. I couldn’t stand it, personally. Made me not want to wear it anymore.

Platinum used to hold a lot of value and was priced higher than white gold. Not anymore, so I do not see any pieces made with it .

OP seek out a personal jeweler or wait to see if you even have an allergy. If you can wear Cartier gold, VCA gold is the same.

Reactions: DS2006
Girl, you can’t just “report” comments that disagree with you on an open forum. It’s an open forum. If anything I said made you feel “unsafe”, I think you need to go back into the little bubble you’ve been living in.
I reported your post to the police. I felt unsafe and in danger. I asked you many times to stop commenting but you continued to harass me. Do not message me anymore. Again I feel unsafe and in danger.

TPF members often disagree in an open forum thread and are entitled to comment. It’s not harassment, and it’s not personal. If you don’t like a comment, it may be best, from a mental health perspective, simply to step back and hit the ignore button.
I felt harassed and bullied. I only stood up for my mental and safe space by reporting to the police. I felt it was the right thing to do.

• Haha
Reactions: bubablu
TPF members often disagree in an open forum thread and are entitled to comment. It’s not harassment, and it’s not personal. If you don’t like a comment, it may be best, from a mental health perspective, simply to step back and hit the ignore button.
If I ever feel in danger. I would report to the police. It is a human right. I value my safety and protection, and respect for my body and self.

Status
Not open for further replies.