Unhappy with my vintage mop yg purchase -Decided to do an allergy test, pause and admire the pieces from afar

Status
Not open for further replies.

babygirl416

Apr 16, 2022
1. When I opened the piece, I felt the mother of pearl was very gray and not sturdy
2. The YG chain gave me a rash and redness (allergic reaction to the alloy)
3. Redness from the MOP (allergic reaction to MOP)
4. I felt the chain felt sorta plastic like compared to my Cartier legers necklace

I spent so much time and money in getting this piece. It looked beautiful on me but very unhappy with the quality of VCA's jewelry. The quality of the alloy shouldn't be like this at this price point.

280524862_548097836832906_196884571423890974_n.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: A bottle of Red
I'm not really sure what you're looking for. I don't think an allergic reaction has anything to do with the quality of the piece- its unfortunate, but you can't blame the brand for that. Its not as if there are hundreds of threads here about allergic reactions.

MOP is natural stone and will vary. Most people would suggest picking out an MOP piece in person to avoid this issue.

I've never had a plastic feeling from the chain, so I'm not sure what you're referring to there.

If you're unhappy return the piece.

If I am not mistaken you've been returning quite a bit of necklaces recently?
We are discussing a lot of different problems in here but I don't remember anyone complaining about an allergic reaction to MOP. Even if that so, this is not a brand's fault.

With regards to the allergic reaction to the chain - did other necklaces (these was at least carnelian one before) do the same?

Cartier and VCA are the same company and I believe they are using the same alloys for their jewellery. Since quite a few years ago their jewellery is nickel free according to the European standards, precisely to avoid any allergic reactions that it may cause.

I am very picky myself about jewellery and its quality, here we also "fight" about stones shades and other issues but I don't think these comments are fair to VCA including "plastic chain". I own Cartier Guilloche amulette pendant and its chain is the same as VCA's.

Maybe it's best to let go VCA as a brand whatsoever if you are so unhappy with it?

Hmmm, yeah if you don't love, return! I think it looks very nice on you though.

I thought the gold chain on the single motif necklaces actually sparkles a lot (so the opposite of plastic!)

I think on another feed someone was talking about a packaging thing causing rashes and not the actual necklace itself, it is also possible that that is what is causing the “plastic-y” feeling too. I think it is way more likely that some chemical from packaging that is left on the necklace is causing a rash than the metal itself, especially considering you can wear cartier things.
I honestly have never had this issue, but i’ve only gotten things from boutiques. I own a little cartier, and I find their chains much more fragile and less substantial than VCA. I also find their rg to be more susceptible to oxidation. I prefer VCA clasps and actually as a whole find their jewelry and watches to be higher quality. I don’t wear my cartier pieces everyday (caresse d’orchidees wg pave pendant, rainbow love, trinity bracelet, diamants légers pendant and bracelet) because I honestly think they look cheaper than VCA (particularly due to chain/the love being a lot less intricate of a design).
However, my opinion, or anyone else’s on this forum for that matter, cannot outweigh yours in regards to a purchase that you are making or have made. If you don’t like it, return it. If you want to try another metal from VCA or not, do that. Same thing with a different stone. In general, if you’re not in love with it every time you see it it’s probably not the piece for you and you would be better off saving or investing the money in something else.

General Advice: I will say that nearly everyone on this forum will say that you cannot adequately determine if something looks good on you if you haven’t seen it in person and ON you. Things look different on a tray than on skin. They especially look different from photos to real life.
I always buy in person. This is even more important when you’re considering stones that have significant color or striation differences amongst pieces (pretty much everything but pave diamonds and onyx). Even if you have to order something and wait to get it in boutique, it is more likely that you will be satisfied with it then after seeing it on and comparing different metal colors and stones. remember—this is likely going to be a piece you own for a while, so waiting a short period of time in the beginning is way better than having buyers remorse. It is so hard to say from photos if one stone or metal type will look good on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.