Unexpected End of 2018 Special Surprise

Thank you, sf_newyorker! I never expected me to have such a dramatic story, but glad that you found it exciting and heartwarming! [emoji4]
We can skip the part about your hospitalization and focus on all the other good things: your continued recovery without having to go under the knife, your supportive DH and this great surprise, as you said, of a bag. Healing thoughts to you for a speedy recovery so you can take this lovely girl for a spin or two, three...:flowers:

Reactions: jnj1ster
We can skip the part about your hospitalization and focus on all the other good things: your continued recovery without having to go under the knife, your supportive DH and this great surprise, as you said, of a bag. Healing thoughts to you for a speedy recovery so you can take this lovely girl for a spin or two, three...:flowers:
Thank you for the positive thoughts! Very much appreciate it. [emoji177]

Reactions: sf_newyorker
Hi everyone,

This comes with a personal story that I would like to share.

Like many of us on TPF, I always had a Kelly or a Birkin on my wish list, but admittedly, I have never been relentless in my pursuit of one. As someone living in a city without a boutique, I've had to rely on opportunistic transactions while traveling or buying online. My philosophy was, if it happens, it happens. Despite several visits to Paris and other cities with a boutique, I always ended up enjoying the trips more than trying my luck at the boutiques.

While visiting family over Christmas this month, I have made several purchases including a shawl, and a farandole necklace, but I was told that there were no Ks or Bs available and that it's not likely for anything to be available until at least the new year. I expected as much, and to me, it was par for the course.

We were scheduled to fly home yesterday, but I unfortunately ended up getting hospitalized, and so we had to postpone our trip back home. I almost went under the knife but the surgeon decided not to operate on me and sent me home under observation. When I got home, there was a missed call from Hermes but there was not voice message. And then I got an email from the SA who had helped me before, asking if I was still in town. When I replied and said yes, she told me to come see her this morning.

I was still feeling weak, but thanks to my super supportive husband, I made it to the boutique, and my SA brought over an orange box still in shrink wrap! Inside it was a beautiful Kelly that I had asked for. To my surprise, my husband was more impressed by its beauty than I was at the moment!! For you musicians out there, he said "wow, it's like a 1963 Fender Strat!" Guitarists, I tell ya! [emoji4]

However, my initial happiness was slightly dampened when I took a look inside the bag. The pull tab on the zipper was stamped too hard and had a bit of a scuff mark along the edge.

And so my dilemma began. The boutique apparently doesn't get togo Ks in 28 often at all. The bag has passed the QC process, so it's considered perfect the way it is, and won't even be a candidate for repair. After much debate, I decided that I couldn't pass this up, and so it came home with me along with a matching twilly.

I am still not feeling 100%, but I am happily staring at the beauty.

Thanks for reading my long-winded story! Here are a couple of photos.
View attachment 4291582View attachment 4291583View attachment 4291585

Congrats, it’s beautiful! Wear it in good health. I hope you start feeling better very soon and have a super happy and healthy 2019 ❤️

Reactions: jnj1ster
I'm envisioning the Master Craftsperson starting the process to imprint the strap, lining things up, momentarily startled and distracted by something nearby, and unable to stop mid process, makes the imprint, slightly off and deeper than normal and maybe a little scuffed from a less than steady hand.....resulting in a one of a kind, truly personalized bag. Seeing that special little quirk each time I used the strap, I would love it, sense that you do too. And hope you carry it in good health. Happy New Year!