Uneven discoloration on my new Florentine satchel

NurseAnn

O.G.
Apr 10, 2009
As some of you might recall I received my new chestnut satchel 1.5 weeks ago. Since then I have put her in a sunny window for 2hrs total and conditioned with Apple. These two things did nothing but evenly darken my bag (I even posted pics). I have not been able to carry her due to the ridiculously unpredictable Spring weather we have been having here. She has sat on a dark shelf and I have picked her up every single day just to stare. I just know this will be one of my favorite bags of all time. Today when I looked her over I noticed a darkened area. It almost looks as if a handle fell over it and discolored it or caused it to unevenly patina. It looks like an upside down U. It was not there yesterday. Is there anything I can do to make it go away or help the coloring to even out? Does it even seem that obvious to you? Is this just something that I will have to learn to deal with happening if I want to continue to buy vachetta leather? I appreciate your help with all of my questions. One way or another this bag is mine but it does make me a little sad that I haven't even carried if and it is discolored. I am hoping that ideally as the patina develops it won't be noticeable at all.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1399256506.633350.jpg
This is the best pic I could get. The "U" is in the upper left of the bag in this picture.

As some of you might recall I received my new chestnut satchel 1.5 weeks ago. Since then I have put her in a sunny window for 2hrs total and conditioned with Apple. These two things did nothing but evenly darken my bag (I even posted pics). I have not been able to carry her due to the ridiculously unpredictable Spring weather we have been having here. She has sat on a dark shelf and I have picked her up every single day just to stare. I just know this will be one of my favorite bags of all time. Today when I looked her over I noticed a darkened area. It almost looks as if a handle fell over it and discolored it or caused it to unevenly patina. It looks like an upside down U. It was not there yesterday. Is there anything I can do to make it go away or help the coloring to even out? Does it even seem that obvious to you? Is this just something that I will have to learn to deal with happening if I want to continue to buy vachetta leather? I appreciate your help with all of my questions. One way or another this bag is mine but it does make me a little sad that I haven't even carried if and it is discolored. I am hoping that ideally as the patina develops it won't be noticeable at all.

View attachment 2604449
This is the best pic I could get. The "U" is in the upper left of the
Bag

I see it but from the photo, it doesn't really look that bad. Does it lessen the look if it once you fold the top over?

I'm so sorry this happened to your bag. I think that's the beauty of Florentine, it carries flaws beautifully.
Bag

Thank you PcanTannedBty. When it's folded over the U is less visible as a U but the discoloration is then right on top of the satchel where I can see it fairly easily. Maybe it's just my eyes zeroing in on it. I will try to get over and just enjoy it. BTW I watched some of your youtube videos last night and my purse wish list got longer despite the fact that I am having a baby in 12 weeks and won't even be carrying a purse. So enabling!

I think it will eventually be less noticeable or not noticeable at all as the leather develops more of a patina. My chestnut is dark and shiny and soft all over because it has developed it over time. I think it just happened to start there first! And I barely see it. I really had to look for it. Your bag is gorgeous!

I wonder if the U mark is from the Apple conditioner on the bag handle rubbed on the bag body just from laying on it. Conditioners do cause the leather to develop a patina at a faster rate.

I noticed this on my t-Moro Stanwich satchel. I conditioned it with apple conditioner as well. I noticed a dark spot down on the back side near the bottom and I could only assume it came from the handle rubbing on the back of the purse when I carry it on my shoulder from the long strap. I wondered if it was because I conditioned it too. I can't remember if it was there when I bought it, but I think I would have noticed it. It's on the back so I'm not letting it bother me, but now I'm worried about it happening to my other satchels so I'm afraid to carry them that way. I don't think it's that noticeable in your picture. It's a beautiful bag. It makes me want a chestnut one!! :smile:

I think it will eventually be less noticeable or not noticeable at all as the leather develops more of a patina. My chestnut is dark and shiny and soft all over because it has developed it over time. I think it just happened to start there first! And I barely see it. I really had to look for it. Your bag is gorgeous!
Thank you that is really reassuring. I am excited for the patina to develop. I looked at a bunch of pics of bags with patina last night and they were gorgeous.

I wonder if the U mark is from the Apple conditioner on the bag handle rubbed on the bag body just from laying on it. Conditioners do cause the leather to develop a patina at a faster rate.
That's probably what did it. I usually store my handbags with the handles up so they don't dent the leather and one must have flopped over onto the bag. I'm just surprised it would develop that mark more than a week after I applied Apple and in 1-2 days. I am hopeful it will all even out in time. I doubt anyone but a purse fanatic will see it but me.

I took my taupe to Oklahoma city this weekend and I noticed it was already developing a patina. It is mostly evenly darkening. In the back where there is little pebbling, it is a little more dark then the rest, but not really noticable.
Im pretty sure everything on you bag will even out.
I condition all of my bags with Apple and I would risk uneven darkening just to make sure they are protected and scratch free.
Maybe you could clean that part with apple cleaner and re condition?
But it is really not that noticable.

I took my taupe to Oklahoma city this weekend and I noticed it was already developing a patina. It is mostly evenly darkening. In the back where there is little pebbling, it is a little more dark then the rest, but not really noticable.
Im pretty sure everything on you bag will even out.
I condition all of my bags with Apple and I would risk uneven darkening just to make sure they are protected and scratch free.
Maybe you could clean that part with apple cleaner and re condition?
But it is really not that noticable.

You all have been very reassuring! I wore my bag for the first time today and really didn't notice the discoloration as much as I thought I would. I don't regret putting the Apple on either. I live in too rainy of a city to carry around an unprotected vachetta bag. I might recondition in a couple of weeks.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1399331630.084149.jpg

I use this spray protector for stain and rain protection. It works great. I spray on all my bags. I picked up from the Cole Haan Store for about $6.

I'm glad you weren't too bothered by it when you carried it today. In another month or so, I'm thinking it will eventually even out.

I wonder why OCD'ers (LOL no offense) like Florentine leather when we know that the littlest marks are going to seem huge to us? It reminds me of when you have a pimple and you look in the mirror and it seems so huge and everyone else is like, "I don't see it, or you really can't tell."

I have a D&B Florentine chestnut color wallet and I have conditioned regularly with Brahmin leather conditioner. I started where it couldn't be seen and it worked so well I kept using. It got soooo soft and the scratches buff right out. Makes me wonder why I didn't order my new satchel in Chestnut but I just wanted that darn natural. I hope I don't stress out about trying to keep it clean. It's not fair to put it in a trophy case and not use! LOL.

Good Luck.
Cathy

I put Apple on the bottom of my natural Florentine when it arrived and laid on its side to let it dry and make sure it didn't leave a mark and it did exactly what yours did! I'll post a pic and you'll die. You can even see the whip stitch indentation! I should have just stuck with my Michael Kors water protector. I learned my lesson.

On another note I scored an olive Florentine flap tab satchel for $139 at the outlet. It was the last one and pretty marked up. The salesgirl worked on the buffing using the dooney dust bag and you can't even tell it was scratched! I decided I'm not treating this one whatsoever. I'm going to follow Dooney leather care and see how it works out for me. I'll let you know.

Cathy

Im surprised that you ladies get these marks. I condition all of mine and not one mark from the handle on any of them. Maybe its too much conditioner or not enough buffing.. just trying to give some suggestions. The patina will even everything out anyway.

Ive really had great results with the conditioning and will continue to do so to every bag. Just feels safer and the scratches buff out easier. Plus, I love that it makes the bag patina sooner.

I put Apple on the bottom of my natural Florentine when it arrived and laid on its side to let it dry and make sure it didn't leave a mark and it did exactly what yours did! I'll post a pic and you'll die. You can even see the whip stitch indentation! I should have just stuck with my Michael Kors water protector. I learned my lesson.

On another note I scored an olive Florentine flap tab satchel for $139 at the outlet. It was the last one and pretty marked up. The salesgirl worked on the buffing using the dooney dust bag and you can't even tell it was scratched! I decided I'm not treating this one whatsoever. I'm going to follow Dooney leather care and see how it works out for me. I'll let you know.

Cathy

Does the MK water repellant spray work on Florentine leather?? I have it but haven't used it on my Flos for fear it would leave marks.