Unemployed...and depressed

bernz84

O.G.
Aug 31, 2006
I am getting incredibly frustrated, and I don't know what to do...I know I've suggested my financial situation on this forum, and I'm really embarrassed to post this, but I am starting to feel incredibly hopeless. :sad: Any criticism or advice will be greatly appreciated because I just don't know what to do anymore. Here's my background:

I am 26 years old and got my Master of Arts in March 2010. Since December 2009, however, I have been trying to look for work. I am getting super depressed; I can't even get a job at a fast-food joint. I think a lot of it has to do with my education and my age (I know I'm young, but I think many of these entry level/customer service type places want to hire high school/college students). I try to "hide" my educational background when I apply to these areas, but I think that some of these places do a background check...or like I said before, my age might have something to do with it as well as my lack of experience in these areas.

I have posted my resume everywhere; I have sent my resume to more than 500 places (not kidding; this is how I've spent my days since I left school). I have revised my resume so many times I can't even keep track. I have also been to several temp agencies. I am really at my wits end, and I don't know if relocation is feasible (my bank account is slowly dwindling and I don't think I could afford to live somewhere else unless I had a decent job...and if I was actually working!).

The only bright side is that I am not homeless and my parents are letting me live with them. So far they have assisted me with my medical bills and my car, but I hate having to depend on them at this point and time of my life.

I guess this is more of a vent because I really don't know what to do at this point. I have tried going to job fairs, talking to people, and the like, but nothing seems to be working. May I ask...is this really normal right now??? I think if I stay at home any longer I will lose my mind! Argh. Thanks for reading.

It's in Psychology; I did psychology for my undergrad as well.

It is just really irritating; a part of me almost wishes I never went to school because I think my background is making potential employers think that I want a high paycheck. How can I ask for a high paycheck when I've been unemployed for over 7 months?!

Sadly, there is such a thing as being overqualified. Managers will think that you won't work for less money and/or leave as soon as something better comes along. It also often happens before the interview process even happens.

I can speak from you from the standpoint of I didn't even finish high school and have trouble finding jobs with my lack of education. However, sometimes if you sell yourself enough they'll believe in you. I mean, there are PhD's out there who drive a taxi cab for a living. It's all about finding the right thing and the right place for you.

Do you live near a university? If you're a decent typist, you can sometimes get jobs duirng the school year typing up lectures for disabled students.

It is really unfair; I didn't even like what I did when I was in my graduate studies. I was nearly suicidal and I hated the people and the environment. I only got the degree because I had already invested 2 years into it; it was really one of the most traumatic experiences of my life...now that I am at this point of my life, I am starting to believe that graduate school was just a waste and a setup. Ugh, it stinks.

I *sortof* live near a university, so I might check it out...many of the community colleges here are also limited in their job offers (I've checked that out, too) and have faced major budget cuts. :sad:

It is really unfair; I didn't even like what I did when I was in my graduate studies. I was nearly suicidal and I hated the people and the environment. I only got the degree because I had already invested 2 years into it; it was really one of the most traumatic experiences of my life...now that I am at this point of my life, I am starting to believe that graduate school was just a waste and a setup. Ugh, it stinks.

I *sortof* live near a university, so I might check it out...many of the community colleges here are also limited in their job offers (I've checked that out, too) and have faced major budget cuts. :sad:

:hugs: I'm sorry. I know it sucks. My sister basically decided she was going to be a "professional student". She just finished her PhD in Religious Studies. She couldn't find a teaching job near her husband's Parish (he's a minister) so she became a mother instead. So I sort of know what you're going through.

I'm not sure if this is real or not, but I've also heard of online TA'ing and stuff like that for correspondance. It may just pay some of the bills.

Thanks...I am really frustrated. I don't even think I qualify for unemployment because I worked at a university (and technically it's not full-time since I was a student).

I kinda wish I could erase my educational history...I don't see it as very practical, to be honest. And it really wasn't worth the psychological pain it inflicted on me.

And I know my friends mean well, but I am getting irritated because they think I'm trying to apply for "lofty" jobs. Umm, no! I have been applying to grocery stores and fast-food restaurants...everything. I just can't get work!

:drinks: hang in there. I'm sure something will open up for you. I know it sucks having to depend on ppl, I'm the same way. But the bright side is in this tuff time you have ppl who you can depend on to help you so its not all bad.. I dont know your exact circumstance, but maybe you could do some odd jobs in the mean time to keep yourself busy until something comes up..

I wish I could say I could do odd jobs, but believe me, I have tried EVERYTHING (Starbucks, other fast food, you name it). I am really at my wits end...basically any restaurant/department store/general store/grocery store you can think of, I've already applied to it. I am sincerely desperate!

Like I said, I think a lot of it has to do with my age and my educational status. I have tried hiding my education when I fill out applications and send out my resume, but I think they do a background check and see that I have been in school for several years...and also, it doesn't help that I'm 26 and haven't worked at any of these places. I think they would prefer hiring someone who is 16-22. I think if the economy wasn't so bad I could get an office job or fast food job easily...but it's not easy right now.

Wow, we are nearly same age OP - I'm turning 26 this year too and in the very similar position, only I've been looking for about 2.5 weeks for an internship in my area of studies. I too am getting very frustated and disheartened that I can't find anything - part of it has to do that we have 3 other schools offering same degree in my area and they actually have hiring agreements with potential employers regarding hiring their students only.

I didn't realize the job situation was so bad, I've applied to over 35 places for an internship and only heard back from 3:

two to volunteer only ( both are at least an hour drive away)
one asked me to interview and by the time I called back less than 24 hours later, position was already filled !

I started looking for an unrelated job for the summer but haven't had much luck either. How disheatening to hear that you are having such bad luck ! Hope everything works out. :hugs:

I really hate to say this, but I don't value education as much as I used to when I was in high school. I only went because I didn't know what to do with my life, I was so used to doing well academically, and I thought it was the "normative" thing to do. Really, if I could take it back, I would've worked right away at a pink/blue collar job instead of going to college. I wasn't even intending on going to grad school, but I thought it was a good idea since I got good grades in college and I couldn't do anything with a Psych degree. I have a HUGE gripe with the educational system, but I'll save that for another thread; I really don't want to discourage anyone who wants to further their education.

Ironically, I am considering going back to community college to get certified in Accounting if I can't get a job because that's all I really want: I just want to have a job with a steady paycheck. I don't want to get anything prestigious, high-powered, and lucrative because I've tried it and it doesn't make me happy.

Ack, I dunno, rambling...I wish I didn't feel so hopeless right now. Anyway, thanks for the support ladies and letting me vent.

Sadly, I think it's the economic climate we have right now that's making it tough. It seems that employers are not willing to take a chance on anyone who doesn't have the practical experience (even if the candidate has skills that are excellent and transferable) precisely because the ball is in their court, so to speak. This is the first time in a long time that it's been an employer's market.

You and I are in a similar situation, bernz, except I'm trying to make a career change (and I'm four years older than you). It's been tough going, and I just signed up with a staffing agency two weeks ago. I feel your frustration! I have a Bachelor's and a Master's, and it has gotten to the point where I've omitted my Master's on my resume for certain jobs. I have no qualms with starting at entry-level, but it seems as though employers are likely assuming that I'm overqualified.

It seems a sad, sad double-edged sword, having an education, doesn't it? But, have faith; keep plugging away; do some networking (maybe your friends know someone who knows someone); sign up for LinkedIn if you haven't already. In the meantime, maybe you should check out United Nations Volunteers Online Volunteering Service. You can check it out and see what might interest you and apply for volunteer positions. The great thing is that it's all online, and you have something to put on your resume that could be of service to you in your job search.

OP - No worries! I know exactly how you feel. I got my B.A. in December 2007 and I've been looking for work ever since. I got hired right out of college to work for Enterprise Rent A Car and it was the worst 6 months of my life. I went back to my old job (Starbucks) and sadly have been working there ever since. It's super depressing because everyone says you should be thankful you have a job, but no one wants to work for an immature and ungrateful boss, get disrespected by customers who treat their dogs better, and do things you never thought someone with a college degree would be doing like scrubbing floors and cleaning toilets.

It's sad really. As children we are taught that education is the path to a better life, but at this point, it's leading us nowhere. My sister said her co-worker is a delivery driver (she works at a restaurant) and he has a Ph.D. I'm really sick of this economy and lack of job opportunities. No matter what people say, no one is hiring. And people are running out of unemployment and all this crap. It sucks.

It's sad really. As children we are taught that education is the path to a better life, but at this point, it's leading us nowhere. My sister said her co-worker is a delivery driver (she works at a restaurant) and he has a Ph.D. I'm really sick of this economy and lack of job opportunities. No matter what people say, no one is hiring. And people are running out of unemployment and all this crap. It sucks.

Oh, I totally get that. Since I graduated college, I have adopted a very elitist perspective on how education should have been run...I think if the educational system were more stringent, I probably would've never have taken the academic route and work at something I am more suited for.

I know I am coming off as very bitter, but again, I am venting and frustrated. I wish I knew what to do instead of pondering why I had to go to school. I really need to calm down with this. :sad: I don't even like telling people my educational background because it makes me so angry, especially with what I had to put up with and how I got it. I almost have no pride or respect for my degree at all!

Alas, it also doesn't surprise me that a PhD is a delivery driver...I dunno, I have been trying to ask some of my friends and friends of friends to help me out, but so far, no dice.

LADC_chick: Thank you for the link; I'll check it out. :smile:

Last edited: