undisclosed mothball smell from major reseller?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. #1 Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
    I got a Bisten 70 this week from an at-this-point-unnamed US consignment website that smells of mothballs. No mention of this was made in the description. I'm assuming if I buy a strong biological odor neutralizer I can gt the smell out. Should I bother or is it easier just to return it? I'm sending them an email as we speak asking about the smell.

2. Unfortunately this is very common in bags from HK and similar areas. I have heard of some ways to get it out, but to me, I think it would always smell. It depends if you are willing to deal with a little bit of smell or try and find a new one. Of course the seller should always disclose this, and its really not fair for them not to. GL with whatever you decide!

3. OMG, I hate that smell, makes me feel dizzy. But maybe put a box of baking soda inside the bag to absorb the smells or lessen it. Keep it in open air and hope it disappears. Either that or return it. Good Luck!

4. my mom said that baking soda will absorb pretty much any smell

5. Yeah, it was such a good deal I want to try to get the smell out.

6. baking soda works best

7. The search feature didn't cover whether or not people thought I should keep the case or not. thanks. ;)

8. If you got it at a good price and really want to keep it, you should try airing it as much as you can protected outdoors for some time and see if the smell goes away. If it still doesn't you might want to seek the services of a professional. I'm guessing mothball smell can linger but not permanently but I'm not positive...

9. Yeah I heard about this problem...there are lots of different methods if you do a search on the forum...i heard that the baking soda method then airing it out for a day or two works really well.

Glad you got a good deal on the bag though!

10. How great of a deal was it, if you don't mind me asking ?

If it's substantially less than you would be paying otherwise, from another reseller, I'd just suck it up and use elbow grease (or whatever !) to get the smell out. :yes:

Have you heard from the seller ? Perhaps you could also ask for an abatement in price for not as described, since you will have to buy the materials to clean/air the item with.

11. 60% off of retail, and it's probably in 98% condition or better.

12. ...hence why I didn't close the thread and left it open. :idea: