Understand the making of your Hermes bags....

Originally Posted by hermes_lemming
Only four styles are handmade (ie. Artisans select, measure, cut, sew, etc the leather themselves) : Birkin, Kelly, Plume and Constance.

Does this mean the Bolide isn't handmade? But that's okay, I
still :heart: it. :smile:

random facts learned from my constant bothering of H Craftspeople over the past year and a half:

1- hardware is first glued onto the bags prior to pearling (ever notice a very slight gummy residue right near the hardware? you'd have to be a sleuth to see it- it is especially noticeable on light coloured bags. i asked about it and that's what it was. its very slight and neat. i was relieved to learn this but also pretty surprised)
2- light coloured bags must be sent to Paris to be cleaned with a wait time of 6 months
3- collier de chien belts can be resized (made smaller, not sure about bigger)
4- H seems to always have little tricks up their sleeve- very slight differences as time goes on, that make their bags unique and differentiate real from fake
5- H will replace scratched hardware for you, but only in the original hardware colour/type. (for a small fee)
6- H will reinforce the handles on your Kelly
7- Getting your initials stamped on your bag is free of charge
8- There are limited spaces on a bag where a craftsman can stamp your initials, unless you want to have it sent to Paris.
9- I spoke to Claude once a long time ago about the possibility of replacing the top leather part of my Birkin (the flap) with a different colour (just for kicks, i would not really want this) he looked a bit horrified but i believe it is possible.
10- i know that Clemence leather has a tendency to have wax surface when exposed to humid weather. this wax is shown as tiny pin sized whitish dots.

if i remember anything else i will post.

Just to be clear, last night my post was laughing at MY reading the passage from the book incorrectly, and for the unclear manner in which that passage of the book was written. It had nothing to do with laughing at another member here, as I *thought* I made clear.
I just want to make sure everyone realizes that and no one's feelings are hurt.

wow what interesting stuff.

Handles can be replaced too...but i think it cost alot of money to do...$1,500 or so and its sent to Paris.

I know within the past year or so they switched to a water based glue.....and that has caused minor problems.

for example a birkin came in of mine with this weird thing on it the front and my SA too a blow dryer to it and it came off.

freaked me out but it worked...she has been instructed to do so.

Just to be clear, last night my post was laughing at MY reading the passage from the book incorrectly, and for the unclear manner in which that passage of the book was written. It had nothing to do with laughing at another member here, as I *thought* I made clear.
I just want to make sure everyone realizes that and no one's feelings are hurt.

Don't worry Cyn, someone's still bound to get offended around here.

Here's another hardware fact:

The normal gold hardware on a Birkin or Kelly is 3 micron 24 carat gold plated brass.

I had read somewhere, though, that those H craftsmen would spend their more novice years handcrafting bags like th Picotin, Bolide, etc., then eventually "graduate" to making more complicated bags like the Kelly and Birkin. Can't remember where I read that....it could've been elsewhere on the forum.