Unconfirmed address - what can I do to protect myself?

gabes_mommy

Aug 22, 2007
Help! I was so stupid and I shipped a purse I sold on Ebay to an unconfirmed address. I shipped it via USPS Priority Mail with DC and Insurance on Saturday. I am regretting this BIG TIME! I should have just refunded the buyer's money and swallowed the Ebay fees and now I am terrified I am going to lose all the money from a dishonest buyer. Is there ANYTHING I can do at this point to protect myself?

I called USPS and asked for the package to be retracted to me but they said they can't do that with Priority Mail. HELP! :cursing:

Do you have any indication that they have tried to screw people before? If not, then don't worry too much, if so, hold onto that postal info in case you have to file mail fraud or anything. If they say they never got the package, then the PO will be liable for insurance, and you can be sure they will investigate.

If you sent it with delivery confirmation and insurance, I don't understand why you are worried? Doesn't that mean that someone has to sign for it? If so, I think that you are pretty well covered. Does the buyer have decent feedback?

If you sent it with delivery confirmation and insurance, I don't understand why you are worried? Doesn't that mean that someone has to sign for it? If so, I think that you are pretty well covered. Does the buyer have decent feedback?

Actually, none of this would matter if the buyer decided to file a claim alleging a stolen account or credit card.

OP -- all you can do at this point is hope for the best.

Paypal won't do anything to help you if the address is unconfirmed.

Hopefully the post office would help if the item is lost.

Just keep your fingers x'ed

Originally Posted by miu2

Actually, none of this would matter if the buyer decided to file a claim alleging a stolen account or credit card.

OP -- all you can do at this point is hope for the best.

Agree- When it comes to a paypal claim or fraudulent chargeback sending it anyway does not matter! You are not covered by seller protection as the item was sent to an unconfirmed address!

Original poster
I should have just refunded the buyer's money and swallowed the Ebay fees

Put in your listings you only accept paypal from a confirmed addresses, if they pay with an unconfirmed address refund the money straight away. Offer to wait until they confirm there address or pay with an alternative method. if not put in a non paying bidder form!

Oh and for the time being clear out your paypal account. This doesnt mean they wont take the money off you should it go to a claim etc. But you have the money for the time being and can have the option of paying paypal back gradualy should you need to!

Don't panic yet, I have shipped to unconfirmed addresses and I have never had a problem. I believe people are less apt to mess with you since you sent the item insured and with DC. And I believe since it's insured, you'll get a signature for it.

Don't panic yet, I have shipped to unconfirmed addresses and I have never had a problem. I believe people are less apt to mess with you since you sent the item insured and with DC. And I believe since it's insured, you'll get a signature for it.

I had a fraudulent chargeback placed against me I sent to an unconfirmed address with a signature and insured. She said she had not authorised the transaction. I had proof of delivery- her signature and 4 emails she sent me. I lost the claim as she had an unconfirmed address and i was not covered by seller protection! I lost £200

I had a fraudulent chargeback placed against me I sent to an unconfirmed address with a signature and insured. She said she had not authorised the transaction. I had proof of delivery- her signature and 4 emails she sent me. I lost the claim as she had an unconfirmed address and i was not covered by seller protection! I lost £200

That is awful! I am so mad that I didn't know better than to ship the bag until it was too late. What happens if you lose - how can Paypal get the money from you if your Paypal account is empty?

Hi gabes_mommy,

It may be too late now to recall the package, but it may all work out in the end anyway. I do hope so. In the future, if you ever need to recall a Priority package, you can. I emailed you the form earlier in the day. Keep it on file and for anyone else, you can locate the form at this address:
http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps1509.pdf. It's best to fill it out and take it to your Post Office. Ask them to fax it to the buyer's post office. Also, ask them to call. . My post office has done it for me a couple of times. Once for a very expensive bag I shipped right away and it turned out to be a counterfeit money order. Lesson learned and I now wait now before I ship even money orders and cashiers checks, (unless they are from a repeat customer.)

I've sold over 16,000 items on Ebay and in 2005 I stopped accepting payment via PayPal if the user needs the item shipped to any other than their confirmed PayPal address. I clearly state my policy upfront in my listings and my preferences in PayPal are set to not accept any payments from unconfirmed addresses.

If you don't want to ship to unconfirmed addresses, it's best to write a short statement regarding your policy and insert it into every listing. It will save a lot aggravation on both ends. Feel free to use mine or modify it, but it explains upfront so there is no misunderstanding. (8.8 bidders out of 10 read a listing) so you may still get some that try and pay without a confirmed address, but it does help.

PayPal Paying customers please note that I can ship only to your PayPal confirmed address on our PayPal payment receipt. That means that your credit card billing address on file with PayPal must be the address to which your item will be shipped. Sorry, no exceptions. If you need your item shipped to any other address, you can send a money order to the address on your invoice.
THIS IS FOR YOUR PROTECTION AS WELL AS OURS. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING PAYPAL'S SELLER OR BUYER PROTECTION POLICY, YOU MAY CALL THEM.
PayPal Customer Service Agents are available to help you during the following times: 4:00 AM PDT to 10:00 PM PDT Monday through Friday, 6:00 AM PDT to 8:00 PM PDT on Saturday and Sunday
1-402-935-2050 a U.S. telephone number

Is there any reason why you think this buyer will scam you? Does their feedback indicate this, or are your fears based purely on the fact that their address is unconfirmed? Not everyone can have their address confirmed...