Unconfirmed Address - Please Advise

poptarts

O.G.
Aug 21, 2007
I recently sold an item, the transaction was very smooth, the buyer paid right away but have requested for me to ship the item to a different country as she will be visiting a relative there. I've stated in my auction that I will only ship to confirmed addresses. With that said, she has perfect feedback purchasing luxury goods, and I understand people sometimes can't be there to receive their packages on time and I've shipped an item here and there to different addresses at the request of the buyer, and it was fine; However, with all the unfortunate cases that I'm reading in here, I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with that anymore.

I intend to refund her and ask her to have the person I'm shipping it to pay for the item so it's going to a confirmed address; but in case that doesn't happen, will I be protected if I have full insurance on the item, as well as declare its full value despite the buyer's request to declare it at a much lower value? I prefer to sell it as I have no use of it, however I'm not in a rush for the money so I will refund & relist if it's not safe to go through with the transaction.

TIA :smile:

Last edited:
I think you should call PP or check your user agreement before doing anything so that you know what you're getting into. The rules vary depending on where you live, how you ship, etc.

"Confirmed" addresses are not available in every country. Last I checked, only addresses in the U.S., U.K. and Canada can be confirmed.

OK to ship means nothing. It means that the buyer paid.

If you specified in your listing that you ship to confirmed addresses only, why are you considering shipping to an unconfirmed address? I would follow my own rules.

In terms of PP protection, there should be an "eligible" or "partially eligible" on the Transaction Details page letting you know what type of protection you have for that transaction.

I did specify confirmed addresses only but at the same time I know not all international addresses can be confirmed.

I will call PP and go from there. Thank you karmenzosifa :smile:

Call PP and check how you are covered. Please take super extra caution on this, because you could be out the bag and money if this goes wrong. I would not send to an unconfirmed address but they do have different rules for different countries. Did you say you would ship internationally? If not, you can ask to cancel.
Don't forget the possibility of a hijacked account. The person with "perfect FB" might know nothing about their account being hijacked and you could be sending to a scammer at another address. Just sayin'

mmmsc - That was my initial reaction too, maybe the buyer's account was compromised. I've had this happen to me before actually. It's truly awful =X

I spoke to PP, the rep said since that was the only address the buyer has provided, it's ok to ship and I'll be protected through seller protection (on the detailed page it says I'm eligible for protection). However, the rep said she would ship via UPS since it gives you very detailed tracking, and I'll need to provide proof of shipping in order to be protected if anything goes wrong. I just checked, the cost is going to be $160 (!!!!) if I go UPS, which I am certain the buyer will not pay for. I usually ship via USPS Global Priority, and the customs form can usually be used as a form of tracking. In my experience it usually provides a fairly detailed progress of the package from its departure up to the point of arrival. Would that be ok this case?

Last edited:
Well I would say what is the item worth and what is your gut feeling about the buyer? Have you talked to her at all? Too many red flags for me, esp. since it is international. I would call PP again and talk to another person, but that is just me.
mmmsc - That was my initial reaction too, maybe the buyer's account was compromised. I've had this happen to me before actually. It's truly awful =X

I spoke to PP, the rep said since that was the only address the buyer has provided, it's ok to ship and I'll be protected through seller protection (on the detailed page it says I'm eligible for protection). However, the rep said she would ship via UPS since it gives you very detailed tracking, since I'll need proof of shipping in order to be protected if anything goes wrong. Shipping cost is going to be $160 (!!!!) if I go UPS, which I am certain the buyer will not pay for. I usually ship via USPS Global Priority, and the customs form can usually be used as a form of tracking. In my experience it usually provides a fairly detailed progress of the package from its departure up to the point of arrival. Would that be ok this case?

I spoke to PP, the rep said since that was the only address the buyer has provided, it's ok to ship and I'll be protected through seller protection (on the detailed page it says I'm eligible for protection). However, the rep said she would ship via UPS since it gives you very detailed tracking, and I'll need to provide proof of shipping in order to be protected if anything goes wrong. I just checked, the cost is going to be $160 (!!!!) if I go UPS, which I am certain the buyer will not pay for. I usually ship via USPS Global Priority, and the customs form can usually be used as a form of tracking. In my experience it usually provides a fairly detailed progress of the package from its departure up to the point of arrival. Would that be ok this case?

Once you know the facts, whether or not it's OK is for you to decide because some can say it's OK and others say it isn't based on their willingness to take a risk in this situation. I wouldn't do it.

Personally, would only to ship to a confirmed pp address.. and if you are shipping an expensive item would be inclined to put a security tag on it.. the above posters are
sharing their concerns & experiences ...