Unauthorized use chargeback...help

Oct 18, 2013
SunCity is back again with her third installment to the Unlucky eBay series!

I sold a pair of Stuart Weitzman shoes on July 5 for $100. It was a best offer sale, I countered the buyer's original offer and she had accepted. I promptly sent out the shoes and never heard from her again...until exactly one month later.

I woke up this morning to the dreaded PP chargeback filed email, my heart fell. The buyer of the shoes filed a chargeback claiming "unauthorized use" of her CC. PayPal only asked for proof of shipment in the resolution center. The tracking shows delivery was attempted on July 16th but nobody was there to accept the package. It was finally delivered on July 23rd. It was not sent with signature confirmation.

I took a look at the PayPal's transaction detail page and it does not say anything about seller protection. Not ineligible, partially eligible, or eligible. Nothing at all, the typical box with all the information is not there (maybe because there is a dispute?) The first name on the shipping address and the "payment from:" is the same but the last name is different. The address is not confirmed but the sender is "Non-US Verified" I googled the name on the shipping address, and results came up and she appears to be a real estate agent in the city where I shipped the shoes. I googled the name of the woman on the account and a few results turned up of someone by that name living in Spain (would match up with the non us verified, right?) I know I should have checked to make sure everything was okay, but the account had 100% feedback for many transaction. There is no excuse though.

I just don't know if this is a true case of unauthorized use or just another sick scam. Should just the shipping information suffice in this case? I tried calling PayPal earlier regarding the seller protection but the wait time was much too long, I plan on calling back after work. It's not a large sum of money, but I was saving up for my vacation next month. Totally unfair that we have to be put in this situation and possibly be held responsible and lose money whether it was truly unauthorized use or a scam. Meh. :sad:

SunCity is back again with her third installment to the Unlucky eBay series!

I sold a pair of Stuart Weitzman shoes on July 5 for $100. It was a best offer sale, I countered the buyer's original offer and she had accepted. I promptly sent out the shoes and never heard from her again...until exactly one month later.

I woke up this morning to the dreaded PP chargeback filed email, my heart fell. The buyer of the shoes filed a chargeback claiming "unauthorized use" of her CC. PayPal only asked for proof of shipment in the resolution center. The tracking shows delivery was attempted on July 16th but nobody was there to accept the package. It was finally delivered on July 23rd. It was not sent with signature confirmation.

I took a look at the PayPal's transaction detail page and it does not say anything about seller protection. Not ineligible, partially eligible, or eligible. Nothing at all, the typical box with all the information is not there (maybe because there is a dispute?) The first name on the shipping address and the "payment from:" is the same but the last name is different. The address is not confirmed but the sender is "Non-US Verified" I googled the name on the shipping address, and results came up and she appears to be a real estate agent in the city where I shipped the shoes. I googled the name of the woman on the account and a few results turned up of someone by that name living in Spain (would match up with the non us verified, right?) I know I should have checked to make sure everything was okay, but the account had 100% feedback for many transaction. There is no excuse though.

I just don't know if this is a true case of unauthorized use or just another sick scam. Should just the shipping information suffice in this case? I tried calling PayPal earlier regarding the seller protection but the wait time was much too long, I plan on calling back after work. It's not a large sum of money, but I was saving up for my vacation next month. Totally unfair that we have to be put in this situation and possibly be held responsible and lose money whether it was truly unauthorized use or a scam. Meh. :sad:

Well, you should be covered as long as the address was originally verified. All you have to do is point out to the CS rep on the phone that you have a tracking number showing delivered to the address on file and remind them you're covered by seller protection and they should release your funds.

well, you should be covered as long as the address was originally verified. All you have to do is point out to the cs rep on the phone that you have a tracking number showing delivered to the address on file and remind them you're covered by seller protection and they should release your funds.

+1