Un-Official Favorite Open Source/Freeware Thread

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Let's tell our favorite open source/freeware!

In case anyone needs it defined, freeware means just that - it's free! No try before you buy, no shareware, just free. The author has been kind enough to write a program and make it a gift to earth residents. Open Source means that not only can you download the software and use it free, if you are nerdy enough, you can download the source code and improve it, too!

These days, there is freeware that will do just about anything an expensive program will do - just as well, or better. And there are some freeware programs that do useful things that you couldn't find an expensive "payware" program for if you tried!

Here are just a few of the ones that I use from a lot to all the time.

A43 is a freeware file management utility (explorer replacement/alternative) for Windows 2000/XP, with a text editor, zip/unzip, file search, quick launch area, favorite buttons, single or dual-pane view - Requires no installation...

FileBox eXtender adds two handy buttons - Favorites and Recent - to Open File and Save File dialogs. These appear on the right side of the Windows dialog box title bars. These buttons appear next to the minimize, restore, and maximize buttons with which you're probably already familiar...

Glary Utilities allows you to clean common system junk files, as well as invalid registry entries and Internet traces. You can manage and delete browser add-ons, analyze disk space usage and find duplicate files. You can also view and manage installed shell extensions, encrypt your files from unauthorized access and use, split large files into smaller manageable files and then rejoin them. Furthermore, Glary Utilities includes the options to optimize memory, find, fix, or remove broken Windows shortcuts, manage the programs that start at Windows startup and uninstall software. Other features include secure file deletion, an Empty Folder finder and more.

TicTocTitle Displays the current date and time in the active titlebar.

VLC Media Player plays pretty much any media file you feel like throwing at it.

What's your favorite freeware?

Disclaimers:
    Freeware - at least my definition of freeware - does not include additional programs or toolbars or browser "helpers" or searching assistants or anything else bundled along with the program itself. (If any of the ones on this list have started doing that, please, please let me - and everybody else - know!)

I deliberately did not put any of my pet security programs on the list, because if you are not already using them, then you either need to seize a nerd have her install and configure them, or you are a total digital native, on Facebook, your email address is your real name, you are glad to share your internet travels with anyone who might like to come along, or you have other beliefs that might not be a good fit for a lot of security programs, and the whole idea was just to share simple freeware programs, and security programs are not simple.

2. hmm a few off the top of my head... pidgin (formerly gaim), frostwire, filezilla, thunderbird, foobar2000, utorrent, media player classic, and ccleaner.

3. OpenOffice – it’s just like Microsoft Office but Free! Runs on PC/Mac and can even open and save Microsoft Office files.

CutePDF – if you ever wanted to save a document as a PDF file this is a good one to do it.

HTML Kit – for the coders out there, this is the program I’ve used for years to code html among other web based languages. I’ve also gotten other friends of mine hooked onto it as well.

KeyNote – If you have lists or anything you want to organize (recopies, addresses, collections) this is a great program for that.

ScreenPrint32 – I love this one, it’s basically print screen on steroids.

Extract Now – this is good for opening odd zipped files that others wont.

You can get all of these at download.com, which is also an excellent place to find Freeware.

I'll post more when I think of it.

4. IrfanView - hands down my favourite freeware !

Also another vote for CutePDF, love this program !

5. I'm on board with Ifranview too. I use it more than the photo editing software I paid for!

6. #7 Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
    Launchy - I have my taskbar hidden and never use it or the start button anymore. I simply press Alt+Spacebar to open launchy and launch any application or file from there. No mouse moving or anything.
    Digsby - IM client. I was a Trillian fan and will try Aero when it comes out but for now, Digsby gets my vote. The programmers/authors are very responsive when I submit a trouble report.
    ObjectDock - Mack style dock for windows. I hate the "clutter"of the taskbar and to me that is valuable screen real-estate.
    Winamp - Music player that will play music off my iPod

I read lifehacker a lot and that's where I learn about a lot of software. I even got a free copy of ZoneAlarmPro when they were doing a special.

7. Photoscape for quick photo editing & screen captures.

8. Love Gimp and cccleaner, as previously mentioned.

PC Decrapifier cleans off the sampleware and free trial junk that comes on a new PC. I wish I'd known about it earlier.

Audacity is an audio recording/editing program, like Garageband.

Starburn is a DVD burner, similar to Nero.

Color Cop takes a sample of a color on your screen and gives you the coding for it. Soooo awesome if you do a lot of photo clean-up work.

Picasa 3 is my preference over Irfanview, just for aesthetics.

PC Inspector File Recoveryis a great data recovery program, and it works with multiple file formats.

SweepRAM is a memory optimizer to clean up bloated program runs and juice up your RAM.

My favorite site for reviews and download sourcing is freewaremission.com.