Ultra-Pricey Cosmetics *pics*

maxter

O.G.
Feb 5, 2006

Ultra-Pricey Cosmetics
Lauren Sherman
If you're looking to reverse the signs of aging, be prepared to fork over some major dough.

And we're not talking about $400-per-syringe Botox or five-figure facelifts.
1_0425style2.jpg

La Mer Essence
$2,600 for 1.5 oz
A concentrated version of La Mer's trademarked Miracle Broth, which contains everything from sea kelp to iron, the Essence is an intensive 21-day treatment, which promises to repair, renew and recharge skin in three weeks. The company, whose notable devotees include Jennifer Lopez, says the Essence should be used alongside the Creme de La Mer--day and night.

2_0425style2.jpg

RéVive Peau Magnifique Youth Recruit
$1500 for 0.03 fl oz
Use this month-long treatment twice a year at night to firm skin, refine tone and of course, reduce wrinkles. RéVive claims that the patented fibroblast growth factor, a molecule that encourages skin to regenerate lost cells, makes skin 45% smoother after repeated use.
3_0425style2.jpg

La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Cream
$650 for 3.4 oz
Made from Caspian Sea caviar extracts, La Prairie's Luxe Cream promises to firm tired, saggy skin. Other benefits include collagen hydration and stimulation, and anti-oxidants that protect skin from free radicals, which cause skin damage and aging.
4_0425style2.jpg

Crème de La Mer Miracle Broth
$600 for 16 oz
In 2001, Estee Lauder began selling cult favorite Crème de La Mer at prices never before seen in the skincare industry. The highly potent Miracle Broth--made with sea kelp, calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, and a multitude of other fortifying ingredients that heal dry skin and soften wrinkles, remains popular among the celebrity set.
5_0425style2.jpg

La Prairie Cellular Radiance Concentrate Pure Gold
$525 for 1 oz
This enriching serum--pumped with 24-carat gold, crystals and quartz--promises to make your skin glow. That's in addition to Neuro-Peptide molecules, which aid in wrinkle reduction. The potion also helps to plump lines and fade age spots.

6_0425style2.jpg

Sisleÿa Elixir
$435 for .7 oz
This lotion repairs the skin's surface with ingredients such as extract of malt, which helps to bring more nutrients to its outer layer, thus encouraging regeneration. It also fights wear and tear with white willow leaf, an extract that stimulates the production of HSP (stress proteins), a molecule that can protect skin from environmental irritations.
7_0425style2.jpg

Sisleÿa Daily Line Reducer
$405 for 1 oz
This line reducer hydrates the skin with a combination of three ingredients -- extracts of Alkekengis calyx flower, soy and a brown algae called Padina Pavonica -- softening the deep wrinkles usually left for injections like Botox and Restalyne. Sisley says you'll see visibly diminished laugh lines and crows feet with repeated use.
8_0425style2.jpg

Elemis Pro-Collagen Wrinkle Smooth
$339 for .5 oz
This tiny pot of cream includes brown algae Padina Pavonica, which is supposed to build up the skin's outer layer, as well as semi-precious mineral malachite, which aids in collagen production, comes equipped with an equally tiny brush for precise application. Results are apparently quick--Elemis says you might see a 68% reduction of lines within two weeks.
9_0425style2.jpg

SK-II Ultimate Revival Cream
$300 for 1.7 oz
This rose-scented, ultra-rich cream utilizes F-nectin, a new moisturizing ingredient that is said to prevent future wrinkles and sagging.
10_0425style2.jpg

Darphin Stimulskin Plus Rejuvenating Lifting Serum
$295 for 1 oz
This rejuvenating serum promises to help reverse the signs of aging, including sagging lines, wrinkles, dullness and age spots. It's packed with polypeptides and collagen fragments, as well as avocado oil and calcium. The company says you could see a 45% improvement in firmness of skin within 16 weeks.

Waaaaay out of my budget! I'm an Olay gal myself, costs about one hundredth (or less) of those fancy lotions and potions LOL. But thanks for the pretty pictures!

LOL I have to admit... I'm a sucker for pretty packaging! I'm always tempted by these even though luckily I don't need them juuust yet.

I highly recommend the La Prairie Skin Caviar though! My mom started using that a year ago and you can really see a dramatic difference, and lots of people have commented on it! So sometimes when SAs tell me the product is worth its high price tag, I believe them!

Wow! I just use sunscreen and retinoids ... I can't imagine forking out that much $$$ for a non-prescription item.

I guess I just feel leery about paying that much esp. because (afaik) there's no FDA-approved "science" backing up their claims, you know?

I have been using La Mer for five years now....love it! Worth every penny. I have also tried Sisleya Elixer and Line Reducer....Also worth it. My most recent fave is Sisley Ecologique. It is great under make-up because it absorbs so fast. I won't disclose my age, but people often think I am 5-10 years younger than I actually am! And whenever I get carded I almost hug the person asking!