UK'ers - Buying a bag over £500 from US

Socialite

Fashionista
Aug 9, 2006
Hi all, just wondering if any of you have bought bags or any other items over the Value of £500 from the US and what the customs fees have been, Im also wondering which US postal service your item was sent by.

Reason is lately I have been hit with customs and I know that prices can vary so i dont want to buy something over £500 and then have to pay a huge customs charge.

Thanks for your help

Hi all, just wondering if any of you have bought bags or any other items over the Value of £500 from the US and what the customs fees have been, Im also wondering which US postal service your item was sent by.

Reason is lately I have been hit with customs and I know that prices can vary so i dont want to buy something over £500 and then have to pay a huge customs charge.

Thanks for your help

Between 3 - 9 % of total cost + 17.5% VAT on total + £13.50 handling fee if sent with USPS / PF. If you're very lucky it could be less. Customs also use a slightly different exchange rate $ - £. Sorry no idea re Fed/DHL fee, which is usually even higher. Btw only items up to £18 are free anything over should be charged. Also doesn't matter if marked as gift (£36 limit) you still get charged. HTH

I would say in general customs fees are anywhere from 20% -40% of the value of the declared item depending on the duty rate . So for £500, Customs are worked out as follows

£500plus shipping say £20= £520
Duty is £520x9%(rate for leather goods)= £46.80
Vat is Original Value + Duty x 17.5% so £520+£46.80=£566.80 x by 17.5% £99.19
Add the Duty to the VAT £99.19+£46.80= £145.99

So £145.99 is what you have to pay. Add to that the admin fee from the carrier who delivers your bag

Royal Mail charge £4
Parcel Force charge £8
Parcel Force with EMS £13.50
UPS charge £11

I have received parcels from the US using the EMS service which is the fastest and tracks the parcel to your door and never had any problems. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
If only that were true von :sad:
Sadly they'll screw you for everything they can, and putting "used" or "gift" makes no difference in my experience.
The only thing that affects it is the declared value.

Hi, thanks for all your answers, it seems to much to pay, I hate customs LOL.

Ohhh Ive been charged many times for used items. I think they charge on the amount given, regardless of if its new or used.

Import duty is lower for used items, but you're still charged VAT, duty and handling charges. Best to prepare yourself to pay according to Syma's calculation. If you pay less it's a bonus.