UK IKEA 21% Off 19 April 2008

Kpassa

Mar 20, 2008
This is from Martin's Money Tips: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips/16-04-2008/

IKEA sale. 21% off one day sale RUMOURED

What’s the deal?

There are strong rumours that this Saturday 19 April, Ikea will have a one day 21% off everything sale to celebrate its 21st birthday. Ikea sales are very rare and a store-wide one would be exceptional. Thus, if it's true, it’s the perfect time to stock up on the usual suspects from the ubiquitous Swedish furnisher.

Why am I telling you if it's only a rumour?

We’ve tried to speak to the press office and powers-that-be at Ikea, but it's remaining tight-lipped; possibly as it wants a big press launch later this week. However as this would be a unique sale only lasting a day; I thought it was important to give MoneySavers a heads-up, in case it does.

Is it worth turning up there on Saturday?

By Friday, it's very likely we’ll know if it's happening, so keep checking this space, as it’ll be updated with any info. Don’t set out on an unnecessary journey without calling the store or letting us know. Check Ikea's store list to get its number.

How strong is the rumour?

Very. As you’ll see from the discussion below, this is primarily coming from Ikea staff. You can also see similar info in the Ikea staff group on Facebook. (Worth noting also Ikea did 15% off in the US, for its 20th anniversary there - so there is a precedent)

I've added this note on top of the discussion below, thanks to all MoneySavers who provided the tip-off (hopefully it's a good 'un)

Make the experience as smooth as possible

If the sale does take place and you're planning to go, there are a few tips worth considering to make your trip as pleasant as possible.
  • Plan ahead. Have a look at the catalogue online and get an idea of what you want. If you know for sure then note the names and sizes down in advance and use the product locators in store to track them down quickly.
  • Leave children and pets at home or with friends or family.
  • Take a bottle of water and nibbles. If stores are as busy as expected while you'll be able to buy food and drink the queues could be long so keep hydrated!
  • Get the family card. According to some rumours stores will be open from 6am to midnight on the day plus one person has suggested only those who have Ikea's "Family" loyalty card will be allowed in between 6-8am.
    The Family card is free to get and gives you discounts off some items, money-off vouchers such as £10 off a £70 spend through the post and, in some stores, free tea or coffee in the restaurant in the week. While you can get it online if you want it for Saturday you'll need to grab one in store beforehand. The application forms with the cards stuck to them are available in stores, usually around the specific Ikea Family section. Just take off and keep the plastic card, fill in the application form and pop that in the special box provided. You'll be able to use the card straight away by just handing it to the cashier to swipe when you make a purchase.
  • Treat staff and customers the way you'd wish to be treated. It goes without saying most Ikea staff will have been working for several hours already by the time you get there plus other customers, like you, may have been queuing for some time so be pleasant to everyone, even in the face of adversity. It'll make the experience a whole lot easier for everyone!
Martin

TheNordstrom Anniversary Sale Early Accessopens to Nordies Insider cardmembers today.
Please support the community andclick here prior to checking out!Don't forget to share your haul in the officialNSALE 2020 thread!

Kpassa

Mar 20, 2008
I live in America but my wife is from England and she reads the British news every day so I get to hear about deals on both sides of the pond. She's going back for a month, leaving next week, so we're especially keen on looking for UK bargains right now.

Kpassa

Mar 20, 2008
If I were you I'd use that link I posted and see if Martin confirms the IKEA rumor then call your local store to see if they are also participating. Even if you don't read anything give them a call on friday and ask, worst thing they can do is say no.

Kpassa

Mar 20, 2008
If you go to the ikea website and choose different countries (I chose USA, UK and Italy) the only site that has a 21% off sale banner is the UK site. I would assume that means the only country having the 21% off sale is the UK. You can call your local store to make sure but I'm betting that it's that one country.