UK eBay BIN with immediate payment only available for PayPal premium or

If you've received thousands through a Personal account then I think you've been very lucky that no one has ever tried to make a card payment to you. I would have thought card payments were way more common than using a PP balance or bank transfer because of the added protection they give buyers.

Agree. I think it's very uncommon to be a seller and not take the Paypal hit, because of CC funding of payments. It's just how many, many buyers pay. So for many--I expect most--sellers, Premium is a cost of doing business that we've accepted.

OP, I agree with Vernis-Lover that you've (evidently) been very lucky that you've never had a buyer who tried to use a credit card to fund the payment. If you had, the payment they sent would have shown to them as "pending" and you would have received an email telling you that you needed to upgrade your account.

Having never received that message and having never upgraded, you never had to since all your payments were made either through PP balances or through bank transfers. You've been VERY LUCKY!

The new change appears to be the requirement to have an upgraded account in order to use IPR. I don't believe that requirement was always in effect.

I remember receiving my first CC payment many years back and being forced to upgrade my account from Personal to Premier in order to accept the payment. The buyer was able to make payment as normal but I then had to accept the account upgrade in order to actually receive the payment. I recall it as I had to ring PP to find out what the issue with the payment was. So it's been Premier ever since.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I never really noticed those changes over the years and kept on receiving payments without any problems. I will do more research. How much is the fee to upgrade to premium/business?

I think I will stick with what I have now. My volume is very low and often don't sell anything for months. Definitely not worth the upgrade. I am not a professional seller nor do I want to be. Just shifting a few things I don't use from my own collection.

I think I will stick with what I have now. My volume is very low and often don't sell anything for months. Definitely not worth the upgrade. I am not a professional seller nor do I want to be. Just shifting a few things I don't use from my own collection.
You can do that as long as someone doesn't use a c.c. to pay you. At that point, you're required to upgrade.

It's not about being a professional seller - it's about abiding by ebay policies. Their policy says you *HAVE* to accept card payments, if that's how a buyer chooses to pay. So if you list something and the buyer elects to pay by card then, as BB has said, you can't refuse to accept that payment.

If you only have a personal account then you will never have paid a fee to paypal to receive your money. There's no cost to upgrade per se, it's on a transactional basis:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/?cmd=p/gen/fees-outside

If you have paid fees on your PP receipts over the years then you no longer have a personal account and should be able to list with immediate payment required.

Hope that helps.

It's not about being a professional seller - it's about abiding by ebay policies. Their policy says you *HAVE* to accept card payments, if that's how a buyer chooses to pay. So if you list something and the buyer elects to pay by card then, as BB has said, you can't refuse to accept that payment.

If you only have a personal account then you will never have paid a fee to paypal to receive your money. There's no cost to upgrade per se, it's on a transactional basis:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/?cmd=p/gen/fees-outside

If you have paid fees on your PP receipts over the years then you no longer have a personal account and should be able to list with immediate payment required.

Hope that helps.

I have always paid fees to receive money. Always! From day 1 I used it. Like I said, my account was set up back in the days. There had been many changes over the years but nothing really promted me to change anything until now. When I login, it says I have a personal account. I am not going to post a screenshot of my paypal account here and I am pretty sure I read it correctly. And I am pretty sure my buyers have funded their payment by all means. It seems that my PP account has slipped through the cracks somehow hence a very inconsistent profile data. I will look into upgrading my PP account if it means just a cateory change without additional fees as I am paying fees as of now. Thank you for your replies.

I have always paid fees to receive money. Always! From day 1 I used it. Like I said, my account was set up back in the days. There had been many changes over the years but nothing really promted me to change anything until now. When I login, it says I have a personal account. I am not going to post a screenshot of my paypal account here and I am pretty sure I read it correctly. And I am pretty sure my buyers have funded their payment by all means. It seems that my PP account has slipped through the cracks somehow hence a very inconsistent profile data. I will look into upgrading my PP account if it means just a cateory change without additional fees as I am paying fees as of now. Thank you for your replies.

Who knows then. Any confusion, ring PP - sounds like if you have upgraded at some point then it's not been actioned properly. You'll be charged the same fees as before (maybe even less if you sell enough from time to time!)

When I login, it says I have a personal account.

It sure sounds like you already have Premier. In the US, a Personal account cannot accept CC payments. It's possible only at the Premier and Business
levels:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/h...S&m=TCI#paypal_account_types_personal_account

Also, Paypal login (in the US) doesn't automatically display the type of account. That info is under the Account tab, where it states "Account Type." Perhaps you can check that on yours and see.

I have upgraded to the "Business Account" as they call it in the UK. Nothing much has changed apart from it keeps telling me to complete "business setup" (such as add PayPal link to website etc) while I really just want to use it for eBay. Still paying the same fees and just received a payment from overseas. All is good so far. Now I just have to revise all my other listings to show "Immediate Payment Required" option.

Thanks for all that replied.