UK Customs - Taxes when buying from US?

Jan 19, 2008
I'm looking to buy a dress on eBay, brand new for approx $650 (although I think it was more expensive when purchased) - I live in the UK and the dress would be shipped from the US - what taxes could I expect to pay?

Thanks in advance:heart:

Alot. You can look on there website for an accurate amount. They do it by percentages on the item amount.
To give you an idea i had to pay like £13 on an item i paid £30 (including shipping). They even charge for items marked gifts if they are over £32 (?). Royal mail charge £8 handling fee.

Thanks for that....I can't find where on the website it tells you how to calculate - do you know whereabouts it is?

Could I ask the seller to mark it as a gift under £32 or does it not work like that?

It will be on hmrc.gov.uk
It's kinda complicated though.
You can ask them,but most of the time sellers will not do it,especially on a high price item,because if it goes missing they will not get there money back for what the item is truely worth,only what they declared. Also if customs open the package and see it's a high end item,they could get in trouble.
Sometimes if customs are feeling extra mean they will still charge you.

''1) Customs Duty. - Customs duty is calculated by Customs on the "END COST" of the clothing. They add together the purchase price, + any insurance, + shipping costs. This gives the END COST figure. They then look at the material the clothes are made from. On the END COST they charge Customs duties of 12% for "fabric" clothing made from cotton, silk, nylon, polyester etc. If the clothes are leather the duty charge is 4%
2) V.A.T. - After adding the customs duty to the total cost of the clothing, they then add V.A.T.@ 17 1/2% on the after Customs duty figure. ''