Uh-Oh a non-Leather Bag has caught my eye - please tell me about Sateen bags

melissatrv

O.G.
Feb 8, 2009
NC
I usually am an all leather gal but every once in a while I will see a non-leather bag that catches my eye. In this case the Graphic Op Art Sophia in Cherry/Multi. For some reason this bag is calling out to me and the colors are so cheerful. I am worried about the sateen fabric though. Is it durable? Does it stain easily? Wear on the bottom? Fray?

Typically I am rotate my bags frequently and am easy on them, but have never owned a bag in this fabric so I am a bit hesitant.

Attachments

midnightmama

Apr 6, 2007
i've had the signature sateen bags, and i love they way they feel. but i've always gotten black, so i was never worried about stains. i say if you absolutely love it, get it! :smile:

proffashionista

No 6-month pin 4 me!
O.G.
Mar 5, 2010
HanBaghs, USA
This is so funny bc I too am a leather gal but may pull the trigger on a legacy stripe bag! So far as sateen I have one in my collection in a light gold beige. In one of my early runs with her, I got MOTOR OIL GREASE on it. I was devastated b c I loved the bag AND she was a real deal--- about $110 at the outlet. Dh told me "have no fear. Mr repairman is here" and I thought to myself how nice it was for him to try, but IMO the bag was a total loss.

Well! Mr Repairman actually saved the day. He used "goof off" on the bag by applying the GO product on a slightly dampened rag. I watched the grease slide off almost instantly but also dampen the sateen. So them I thought how the bag would dry with blotches of water stains on it.

But no! As it dried , not a single water line or mark remained on the bag. The GO odor was a tad strong so I stored the bag in a dust bag w five dryer sheets for a while. And odor was eliminated !! And best of all no fraying of the fabric in the places where a tad of rubbing had to be done to remove staining that penetrated.

So IMO GO FOR IT!!! That's a pretty pattern and color.

proffashionista

No 6-month pin 4 me!
O.G.
Mar 5, 2010
HanBaghs, USA
Can't finish my post on I phone so continuing here. That's a pretty pattern and shade, so already I'm looking forward to your reveal!!!! Let us know if u get her!!!!

sthoreso11

O.G.
Jul 29, 2009
I have been admiring this same pattern as well, I wish it came in the Abigail style. The newer Sophia seems a bit smaller then the old version IMO. I have a couple of signature sateen garnets from a few years back, they have help up really well.

nursie

selective hoarder
O.G.
Sep 29, 2010
Columbia,SC
oh i do recall that you say you wear pinks and purples a lot, this bag is made for you!

my first coach bag maggie is the sateen fabric, and an ocelot audrey in sateen. i got a spot of foundation on the white part of my maggie and it came out with just a damp cloth. there is a very tiny area of wear on a corner of the fabric, but truly very tiny and i've used the maggie a lot.
my audrey shows as new as the day i got it and it's been used frequently just not as much as my maggie.

i really hope you'll get this one!

codegirl

O.G.
Apr 29, 2009
Oooooh, that's REALLY pretty!!!

Even though I do have a few sateen bags that are all still in perfect condition, I really can't tell you how they wear/don't wear since I rotate my bags so frequently that none of them have seen any heavy use.

But I just had to say I love love love this print and think you should get it!

donnaoh

O.G.
Aug 25, 2010
I usually am an all leather gal but every once in a while I will see a non-leather bag that catches my eye. In this case the Graphic Op Art Sophia in Cherry/Multi. For some reason this bag is calling out to me and the colors are so cheerful. I am worried about the sateen fabric though. Is it durable? Does it stain easily? Wear on the bottom? Fray?

Typically I am rotate my bags frequently and am easy on them, but have never owned a bag in this fabric so I am a bit hesitant.
Get it! Get it!:yahoo:

I really love the colour combination in this fabric!

babykat

Dec 31, 2010
Minneapolis
THAT PURSE IS GORGY!!!

I have a satin optic print bag that I adore. I think I've carried it a few times-- because I'm simply worried about it getting stained. Whenever I see it in the closet, I smile, but then I kick myself for buying it.

I guess I'm a leather girl at heart, but I will certainly have to look into getting this print as a wristlet!

Mariquel

O.G.
Jun 23, 2008
melissa, I have no experience with sateen bags but just wanted to thank you for sharing this print! I usually just skip over the siggies but this pattern is so gorgeous. The combination of colors is so unique that it really is an eye-catcher! If it does wear a little I don't think it would be very obvious because of the print. I hope you get it and do a reveal.

melissatrv

O.G.
Feb 8, 2009
NC
Thanks ladies....I should have known I would be enabled here :smile:

This is so funny bc I too am a leather gal but may pull the trigger on a legacy stripe bag! So far as sateen I have one in my collection in a light gold beige. In one of my early runs with her, I got MOTOR OIL GREASE on it. I was devastated b c I loved the bag AND she was a real deal--- about $110 at the outlet. Dh told me "have no fear. Mr repairman is here" and I thought to myself how nice it was for him to try, but IMO the bag was a total loss.

Well! Mr Repairman actually saved the day. He used "goof off" on the bag by applying the GO product on a slightly dampened rag. I watched the grease slide off almost instantly but also dampen the sateen. So them I thought how the bag would dry with blotches of water stains on it.

But no! As it dried , not a single water line or mark remained on the bag. The GO odor was a tad strong so I stored the bag in a dust bag w five dryer sheets for a while. And odor was eliminated !! And best of all no fraying of the fabric in the places where a tad of rubbing had to be done to remove staining that penetrated.

So IMO GO FOR IT!!! That's a pretty pattern and color.
What an incredible story! I discovered goof off a couple years ago and was like "where have you been all my life" LOL. But motor oil? They should put this story in one of their ads :smile: I will probably get this and one of the new Kristins...trying to decide on which one

oh i do recall that you say you wear pinks and purples a lot, this bag is made for you!

my first coach bag maggie is the sateen fabric, and an ocelot audrey in sateen. i got a spot of foundation on the white part of my maggie and it came out with just a damp cloth. there is a very tiny area of wear on a corner of the fabric, but truly very tiny and i've used the maggie a lot.
my audrey shows as new as the day i got it and it's been used frequently just not as much as my maggie.

i really hope you'll get this one!
You are right I do wear these colors a lot. There appears to be a bit of tangerine in it also and I just read that tangerine is the "color of the season". Good info on the wear. I expect I will rotate quite a bit. I think it is funny that they don't have those protective flat feet on the bottom

melissa, I have no experience with sateen bags but just wanted to thank you for sharing this print! I usually just skip over the siggies but this pattern is so gorgeous. The combination of colors is so unique that it really is an eye-catcher! If it does wear a little I don't think it would be very obvious because of the print. I hope you get it and do a reveal.
You are welcome! I usually skip right over these too. But when I saw it in the spring thread when someone posted the lovely catalog pages, I have not quite been able to get it out of my head!!