UGH...had to exchange my Cherry Sabrina (tarnish and peeling)

Oct 18, 2008
Ok, so I had originally bought the black/brass small sabrina back in december during Macy's Friends and family sale. Well I kept the tags on and changed my mind when I saw the cherry and exchanged for it. I loved that bag and I hadn't a chance to wear it out yet when I noticed the little tarnish looking spots. I wasn't going to return it but when I sort of rubbed it the whole darn thing started peeling. The gold layer peeled off on the horse's head where it was a shiny silver looking. That was completely unacceptable to me. Fortunately I kept the tags on....

I went to my close Macys and they didn't have cherry in stock so I had to drive 45 minutes out of my way and I got the last cherry sabrina that was in stock there. Honestly If I paid full price (I also opened a credit card so got more percentage off) then I would have returned it and given up on Sabrina. I seriously don't know what paint they used on the horse and carriage on Sabrina but they should find another one.

cc1013

O.G.
Nov 9, 2007
Chicago Burbs
That's so disappointing! I'm going to keep an eye on my Sabrina for the same problem. I hope you have better luck with this one. The cherry is gorgeous!

TXGirlie

O.G.
Jul 21, 2008
North Texas
I had the same problem with tarnish on my parchment. I exchanged it, and glossed over the second one so it doesn't tarnish and peel.
There are pics and a discussion on another thread here.

kayyle

O.G.
Aug 1, 2008
Canada
:wtf: Yikes! And you haven't even gotten to use it ! I wasn't even aware of this problem for the sabrina. Hopefully this new one you picked out won't go through the same!

Oct 18, 2008
Ok before I glossed the cherry sabrina I exchanged I decided to use a clear gloss over a part of the logo on one of my Amanda accessories. I got this idea from the thread that was mentioned. Well on one part it was uneven so I rubbed it and it made it peel. I am so glad that it was a makeup bag and I got it for cheap. Anyways I am glad I did a test run on this and not on the Cherry sabrina not like it needed it anyways b/c it did it on its own.

TXGirlie

O.G.
Jul 21, 2008
North Texas
Ok before I glossed the cherry sabrina I exchanged I decided to use a clear gloss over a part of the logo on one of my Amanda accessories. I got this idea from the thread that was mentioned. Well on one part it was uneven so I rubbed it and it made it peel. I am so glad that it was a makeup bag and I got it for cheap. Anyways I am glad I did a test run on this and not on the Cherry sabrina not like it needed it anyways b/c it did it on its own.
Are the Amanda accessory logos exactly like the Sabrina bag's? I can't remember...
Anyway, if you paint it, don't touch it, rub it, or anything- it should dry just fine. If you put too much gloss on it, use the brush to even it out with a touch of more gloss (so the brush doesnt streak it.) Then it will be ok when it dries. I glossed my stuff sometime in Jan. and it still looks ok. Definitely no further tarnish.

Oct 18, 2008
The Amanda accessories do have the same logo, I am glad I experimented on these and not my sabrina. However, on another note the paint that was actually peeled from my Sabrina (the one I returned) had a very pretty silver finish under it, so I guess if this one starts to peel it might not look so bad. Although it better not happen before I use it like the other one did.

Thanks for the suggestion on the glossing it if I feel like this one starts to tarnish or peel I might gloss it. I am very disappointed in the way Coach did their Madison logo in terms of quality.